[0.20 / 0.21] Deimos III (space shuttle)

r0CRVYX.png

Deimos III

If you wanted a stock craft that looks somewhat like a space shuttle, and operates in a similar fashion, this is the craft for you. It took several days of tweaking to get this thing to work, and I dare not tweak it any more. But wait no more. Deimos III is finally here!

Download Here

Additional Pictures

o7WQxPn.png

*Update 7/19/2013*

• Added power generator for the new ASAS system in 0.21
  • Tweaked the sepratrons on the SRBs a bit
  • Moved main gear forward for a smoother landing
  • Moved nose gear up into the fuselage

Action groups:

1 - toggle OMS thrusters (RCS)

2 - toggle regular RCS thrusters for docking purposes

5 - toggle lights on launch pad

0 - detach from external tank

Backspace (abort) - separate side boosters

Launch procedures:

• Raise landing gear.
  • Press '2' twice to disable docking thrusters.
  • Activate ASAS.
  • There are two small docking ports located on the external fuel tank underneath the orbiter. Right click on the bottom one and select 'control from here.' This will orient your navball for the first part of the launch.
  • Throttle up.
  • Activate next stage to activate the engine starters (or whatever you would like to call them).
  • Activate next stage to start SSME's.
  • Activate next stage to initiate launch.
  • Point straight up on the navball, roll to desired direction.
  • Activate next stage when the solid rockets have run out of fuel. This will start the other boosters hidden inside the SRB's.
  • Begin gravity turn at your discretion.
  • After side booster separation, right-click and select 'control from here' on the other small docking port on the external tank (the forward one). This orients your navball to point down the approximate direction of acceleration.
  • Before external tank separation, transfer liquid fuel from the orbiter to the external tank.
  • After separation from the external tank, right-click and select 'control from here' on the small docking port located on the back of the orbiter between the main engines. This orients your navball with the OMS thrusters.

I recommend a 30km periapsis for external tank jettison for the reason of cutting down on the delta-V required to circularize into orbit.

Important notes:

The RCS tank provides 188 m/s of delta-V. Acceleration with the OMS thrusters is approximately 21 m/s per minute.

I don't have a detailed procedure for returning to KSC, but it is able to land.

Edited by Kosmo-not

I can't wait for 0.21 to roll around with its new ASAS. That would make flying this thing (and many other craft) easier and so much more fun.

Great job sir indeed! Wonder if you can piggyback something on it :)

It is already operating near the edge of its control limit in one direction after separation of the boosters, and exceeds its control limit in the other direction with the last drops of fuel. That being said, you will need to put a balancing mass on the external tank for whatever you piggyback on the orbiter.

I have updated the craft to be usable with 0.21

I might be jumping the gun a little, but I'm confident it will work. I probably won't be able to test it when 0.21 gets released because I won't have access to my computer for an unknown period of time.

I'm jealous of you pilots who will be flying it in 0.21 before me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is a really old thread and I'm about to necropost / bump it, but for good reason! I'm re-envisioning this craft for multiple reasons. The Deimos III was always a beautiful craft, courtesy of Kosmo-not, and I'd love to help bring it back. Kosmo-not's last post was in July of this year so if we would like to update this himself, that would be great as well.

• New spaceplane parts
  • Mk2 Cargo Bays
  • Buffed Mk 55 (better Isp and larger gimbal range)
  • Monopropellant engines that make for good OMS engines
  • Editor overhaul allows for better placement of parts

It's not completely finished yet so I'd like some help from others. I haven't got it to glide (without additional thrust) properly for landing yet and booster separation is a bit wonky with the update, for an unknown reason. It can carry a small payload of around 0.5 metric tons, which is about a small 1.25 meter fuel tank, SAS, and an small engine. The new 5 degree gimbal range on the Mk55's make it really controllable, but I've added two vernier engines for ascent control. Other changes I've made are switch to monopropellant engines instead of the old RCS ports, cargo bay, vernier RCS engines on the orbiter, new vertical stabilizer, elevons on the wings, and more delta-V on the orbiter.

Pictures

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Woopert

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.