Is Eeloo's Surface Generally Prone to Clipping Bugs?

ComradeGoat

Landed on Eeloo for the first time today. Very proud kerbals, wanted to plant a flag. That's where it started to go wrong. He tried to plant a flag and ended up just marching on the spot, uncontrollable. I tried switching back to the mothership in orbit, and then back to the lander, at which point it materialised with its legs in the snow and the kerbal buried up to the neck.

Then the lander exploded and the kerbal died.

I had loads of DV on the mothership, so I'm counting it as a moral victory, but does this happen a lot with Eeloo?

It does. Eeloo is so far out from the sun that floating point errors get a lot more pronounced. This results in rather annoying terrain clipping issues. I once lost a rover to Eeloo because the terrain ate one of its back wheels.

It does. Eeloo is so far out from the sun that floating point errors get a lot more pronounced. This results in rather annoying terrain clipping issues.

Well that kind of sucks, I was contemplating a manned mission there.

If you do a touch and go, and don't switch away from the lander, you'll probably be OK, I guess.

That sounds pretty boring, unfortunately; I like bringing buggies along. I might just try it anyway.

I did a manned rover mission in Eeloo and rode for several kms even with x4 time warp and had no problems whatsoever. Might be clipping free in some specific places. I actually landed on a dirt like flat patch, so it might have something to do with it.

It does. Eeloo is so far out from the sun that floating point errors get a lot more pronounced. This results in rather annoying terrain clipping issues. I once lost a rover to Eeloo because the terrain ate one of its back wheels.

I don't think that's the reason. Within a planet's sphere of influence, the physics engine treats that planet as the center of the universe and moves the rest of the solar system around it.

Yep. I sent a lander there, took a kerbal out on EVA, left him there, did another mission elsewhere, came back to send the kerbal home and BOOM. Bye-bye lander. I'm currently devising a touch-and-go rescue mission.

Eeloo may be a more frequent offender; but it's definitely not just Eeloo:

Eeloo is all kinds of buggy. Among other things that have happened there, I landed a rover just fine, but when I resumed it later, it was placed under the surface and fell to its demise. :(

Just the other day I planted a flag at the desert anomaly on Kerbin; and when I returned to it later, this happened. I certainly never expected to see a flag splashing down in/below the desert!

Yep. I sent a lander there, took a kerbal out on EVA, left him there, did another mission elsewhere, came back to send the kerbal home and BOOM. Bye-bye lander.

I had a rover blow up on Minmus in this fashion, also in version 0.20.2.

New procedural terrain may fix the clipping issues in .21.

Doubt Eeloo will be done in 0.21, HarvestR said in the blog comments that the Mun was the only one being done so far and that the process takes a good chunk of time per planet to get it looking good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.