[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Amazing mod, but I sometimes find the mouse control fiddly when shaping fairings. Is there any way that keyboard control could be added to incrementally adjust the fairing size?

It's possible, but there are too many keys used already :confused:

I find it easier when zoomed on the base or whatever part you're adjusting.

Updated to 2.4:

• Added procedural interstage fairing adapter with adjustable radii and height which decouples from the top part when fairings are ejected.
  • Added conic fuselage.
  • Fixed another inline fairing shape bug.

The interstage adapter has three stack nodes: below the ring, above the ring, and movable top node. It makes inline fairings only, and will decouple from top part when you eject fairing sides, simulating sides supporting the top part.

So, you can now do a quite authentic Saturn V with it :)

Do the sides, as well as detaching from the upper stage, also fall off the now separated bottom stage? I'm thinking I can finally make some really cool, complex 'dropped' rovers without needing to stick them on the side or the top of a stage, 'upside down'.

Do the sides, as well as detaching from the upper stage, also fall off the now separated bottom stage? I'm thinking I can finally make some really cool, complex 'dropped' rovers without needing to stick them on the side or the top of a stage, 'upside down'.

Yes, the bottom ring is just like regular fairing base.

Thanks for all the work on this e-dog. Absolutely brilliant. I don't use many mods, but this and Crew Manifest are now staples. I recommend them to everyone. I hope Squad hires you or at least buys this mod from you and makes it stock.

Updated to 2.4:

• Added procedural interstage fairing adapter with adjustable radii and height which decouples from the top part when fairings are ejected.
  • Added conic fuselage.

The interstage adapter has three stack nodes: below the ring, above the ring, and movable top node. It makes inline fairings only, and will decouple from top part when you eject fairing sides, simulating sides supporting the top part.

It's.. Amazing... It's exactly what I asked, perfect!

A couple of screenshot of the proof of concept for the two staged lander:

0BB05ADDAE58F5E2E8591A6D7BEB8645F808109B

The "landed" lander, with the reentry stage fuel and engine covered by the fairings. Crossfeed is disabled on the base to avoid usage of the wrong fuel

E92BB5E5997139398FCE75CD5690389EB6762D39

The reentry stage in flight after a successful (on the first try!) detachment.

Couldn't really pick the moment of detachment as the reentry module shoots up quite fast

Version 2.4 appears to break Kerbal Engineer. :( None of the delta-v numbers show up. When I reverted back to ProcFairings 2.3, Kerbal Engineer once again worked correctly.

Log File, in case that helps.

That's strange. Do you mean build engineer or flight engineer?

I have build engineer added to stock pods (no engineer parts), and I just used it to build a ship to Duna with PF 2.4.

Anyway, output_log.txt from KSP_Data folder is more useful.

Also, try replacing PF 2.3 DLL with 2.4 one and check whether it works or not.

Version 2.4 appears to break Kerbal Engineer. :( None of the delta-v numbers show up. When I reverted back to ProcFairings 2.3, Kerbal Engineer once again worked correctly.

Log File, in case that helps.

I noticed this also. Thought it was just a wierd ship configuration though. To be clear I'm using Cybutek Kerbal Engineer Redux 6.1.1 - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/18230-0-21-1-Kerbal-Engineer-Redux-v0-6-1-0?highlight=engineer

Also thank you for the new fairing base part. This will make creating my cargo bay doors so much easier (I think).

Updated to 2.4:

• Added conic fuselage.

Do these new fairings (or the old ones for that matter) work with FAR? I saw in the early pages of this thread that they weren't working to start with and haven't managed to find anything in the later pages about them handling FAR drag.

Do these new fairings (or the old ones for that matter) work with FAR? I saw in the early pages of this thread that they weren't working to start with and haven't managed to find anything in the later pages about them handling FAR drag.

Yes, in fact FAR just got updated to 0.9.6 with more PF fixes/support in it

I've been having a problem with fairings, using version 2.3. Fairings don't eject with any force at all--they decouple, but don't move away from the craft; the ascending rocket ends up "drifting" through the fairings if it goes a little faster than they do. Decoupling force has consistently been on the default, medium.

I haven't tried out the new decoupler yet, but is it possible to have an interstage decoupler that remains in one piece and remains attached to the lower ejected stage (similar to the KW Rocketry interstage decouplers?) Even if it involves modifying the config so there is only 1 side attachment node? I had modified all the preexisting fairings to be 2 part so they played nice with FAR so it would seem simple enough, as long as the code actually supported it.

I've been having a problem with fairings, using version 2.3. Fairings don't eject with any force at all--they decouple, but don't move away from the craft; the ascending rocket ends up "drifting" through the fairings if it goes a little faster than they do. Decoupling force has consistently been on the default, medium.

Try high force. That also happens if you strut side fairings. Also, if you're using RemoteTech, it happens with all decouplers for some reason, including stock ones.

I haven't tried out the new decoupler yet, but is it possible to have an interstage decoupler that remains in one piece and remains attached to the lower ejected stage (similar to the KW Rocketry interstage decouplers?) Even if it involves modifying the config so there is only 1 side attachment node? I had modified all the preexisting fairings to be 2 part so they played nice with FAR so it would seem simple enough, as long as the code actually supported it.

That's planned for the next update (decoupler with shroud, like KW ones). 1 side attachment won't work, 2 is a minimum. FAR should be fixed now for inline quarters as well.

The new interstage decoupler is brilliant, although it took me a while to work out how to use it (note to self, make tutorial video). However it seems to screw up deltaV calculations in Engineer and MechJeb as both systems don't register the part as a decoupler so you don't get a new stage with it's own deltaV calculation. I don't know if that's something you can fix?

The new interstage decoupler is brilliant, although it took me a while to work out how to use it (note to self, make tutorial video). However it seems to screw up deltaV calculations in Engineer and MechJeb as both systems don't register the part as a decoupler so you don't get a new stage with it's own deltaV calculation. I don't know if that's something you can fix?

Nope, fixing it means fixing other mods so that they'd know about the adapter/fairings just like they already know about various decouplers, fuel lines etc.

Nope, fixing it means fixing other mods so that they'd know about the adapter/fairings just like they already know about various decouplers, fuel lines etc.

There's no way to make the interstage register as a standard decoupler to other mods? Kerbal Engineer is one of my primary mods -- I can't use any other mod that it's incompatible with. :( I'll stick with 2.3 and keep an eye on things here.

There's no way to make the interstage register as a standard decoupler to other mods? Kerbal Engineer is one of my primary mods -- I can't use any other mod that it's incompatible with. :( I'll stick with 2.3 and keep an eye on things here.

Delta-V calculators like Engineer and MechJeb check for particular Part and PartModule classes to detect decouplers etc. So the only way without modifying said mods is to make the adapter a stock decoupler.

Which might be possible, but you'll be able to use it as decoupler then, and have to set up staging for it.

Which might be possible, but you'll be able to use it as decoupler then, and have to set up staging for it.

I am absolutely okay with this. All the other interstage adapters I've used (KW, etc...) behave as decouplers and appear in the staging list. Any stage I will be manually trigging via custom actions gets hauled up into a top-level stage where I stuff things like decouplers for RCS hoppers and other things I don't want to trigger with the spacebar.

What I can't live without is the inability to see what my delta-v and TWR stats are for the rocket as I build it. I can't go back to guessing! I won't! I will not fly with the barbarians, you hear?? Never again!

*pant* *pant* *pant*

Sorry, got kinda carried away there...

What I can't live without is the inability to see what my delta-v and TWR stats are for the rocket as I build it. I can't go back to guessing! I won't! I will not fly with the barbarians, you hear?? Never again!

Don't worry, I'll make a ÃŽâ€V calculator plugin for you! :)