Rover lander

Try putting a decoupler above the rover, a few cubic struts, a probe core, a fuel tank, and the orange radial engines on the side. Just hover a meter or two above the ground and drop the rover and crash the skycrane into the ground.

Alternatively, use the heavy duty legs and you can drop the thing off from a landed position. No explosions!

You can also do the skycrane thing if needed. I had to earlier today when a landing went tits-up. Dumped the rover, lander hit the ground a ways off and tipped over. Both are alright; the rover is just sat on it's nose, while the lander ended up sitting perfectly upside-down when I tried to right it by fiddling with the legs.

Also, for attaching the whole thing to the rocket, I suggest attaching the middle of the rover along the rocket's axis, and holding things together with struts. The small cubic strut bits work great for strut attachment points, to get struts past the rover and a decoupler.

Could also put a set of stack separators on the sides of any pre-existing standard Mun lander you've got and attach them that way. Use BZ-52s set radially on the lander's sides and attach the seperators to them, then stick the side of the Rovemate you're using to the seperator. Wheel-side down, of course. Might have to put a strut or two on the far end so that they don't break off during launch.

If you want the rover to only be used on that planet/moon only, use a skycrane to drop it on the surface. If you want to be able to get that rover off the planet and back to Kerbin, use a lander that uses a docking port system, or a KAS docking port system.

I use a KAS docking port system for my Speed Rover's Lander. Very handy.

also, can that design be reused when going to duna?

Yes and you can add some parachutes for extra deceleration. If the rover is light enough and you aim for a lower spot on the surface, parachutes combined with a tiny bit of braking thrust near the ground are plenty.

I landed a rover slightly larger than that using a simple skycrane and small docking ports. I landed the skycrane, detached the rover and moved the skycrane away. The skycrane is remotely guided, so it can be landed and later used to move the rover to another spot on the Mun simply by driving the rover under the lander and redocking it.

use the sub(watever) mod then go to the stock rover+skycrane punch the skycrane to your sub(watever) plugin then choose a type of your skycrane go back to your rover open it again then go

to the type of your skycrane click on your file place it up your rover ENJOY!

(sorry for bad english)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.