Am I the only one who ignores the math,

syfyguy64

I let the computer do the math for me. Maneuver nodes are awesome, and they allow you to preplan your burns so you don't waste fuel like I did for the first month playing this game until I discovered the maneuver nodes.

Am I the only one here struck by the irony of this back & forth over mathematics with posts rife with spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors?

(I wonder how many of the do-it-yourself-ers are using spell check lol)

Some of us really don't care about spelling and grammar, as long as the message gets across.

Edited by wolfedg

A middle of the road answer!

I've almost completed my engineering degree and am very well versed with all aspects of the maths involved behind large portions of this game.

Having said that, I will always ignore the math for this game. For me designing a rocket is like being able to test physics and crazy ideas without having to justify it. To prove designs with math would just be... well... more like work now.

Ahhh, I see you're using the oxford comma... Are you a hipster?

Never even knew what an oxford comma was, till I looked it up. I use it too most of the time. I sort of still don't get it. I always thought it was normal for commas to come before the 'and'. So surprised. o.o

Some of us really don't care about spelling and grammar, as long as the message gets across.

I don't care when I am on forums talking to random people.

When I am talking to a well respectable person in a formal discussion, then I make sure I write correctly. The only other time, is when I am writing stories or doing assignments.

The reason I do this is to type faster. That is the furthest I will ever go. I won't ever purposefully spell words wrong just to shorten them like some people do.

I personally let MechJeb do most of the orbiting work, landings and launches. But I still have to set up Capture Burn Delta V's manually, if the approach isn't close enough to me.

Like my approach to Jool to probe it. MechJeb kind of screwed up and had the orbit going right into the planet. Had to do a Delta V to get me a Ap + Capture, so I wouldn't crash into the planet.

As for designing a rocket, I care less about weight and mass, or how much Delta-V I'll need... bah. As long as it looks good, flies flawlessly from launch to orbit, and the CoM isn't in the joint of what I'm building that requires something to be detached (like a rover or a probe).

I want to play games my way. Freak the math. :P

Edited by Benie

Am I the only one here struck by the irony of this back & forth over mathematics with posts rife with spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors?

(I wonder how many of the do-it-yourself-ers are using spell check lol)

Actually that might indicate how well a person does in math. More Spelling errors + grammer problems = higher chance to understand math.

Actually that might indicate how well a person does in math. More Spelling errors + grammer problems = higher chance to understand math.

I beg to differ dear chap, there's generally nothing significantly wrong with my spelling or grammar, and I have a degree in astrophysics :P That said I still tend to ignore the maths while remaining in Kerbin's sphere of influence as on those scales I find it fairly intuitive, less so when going to other planets.

I eyeball all the things, although I make good use of the maneuver nodes for interplanetary flights, as well as for landing perfectly on atmosphere-less bodies. (you can use the maneuver nodes to do perfect landings by placing one at ground level and adjusting it retrograde until the resultant velocity is 0.)

I just sent a Kerb to Bop and back using eyeballed design and sketchy piloting, so it does work.

I kind of "Tony Stark" my way through everything. I don't worry about TMR or delta-v or any of that. I know it's not the "efficient" way, but I leave the calculations to the computer. I'm just about going fast and looking good, even if it ends in disaster. :cool:

you dont have to literally DO the math

all you need is an educated guesstimation; knowing at least something about right what's what.

'Tis what I do. I know a lot of the math...I just don't tend to do any (well, sometimes a little) of the math. Highly educated guesstimation rules the day for me. I am not often wrong these days. At worse, I tend to end up with ships that have maybe 5-15% extra fuel by the time they finish their mission. Every once in a blue moon I'll end up with a design that was drastically overbuilt or fell short and didn't make it.

With that being said, whether you consider it math or not, I do use manuever nodes within the game to determine direction and magnitude of vector changes to get me where I want to be going. TWR, dV capability, staging, etc is highly educated guesstimation.

Edited by lazarus1024

So by that logic all my idiot friends on facebook who "tlk lik dis dood. Yolo swag 420" are mathematical geniuses! You're on a forum, a place where you can only communicate by writing, please use somewhat good grammar and definitely use correct spelling.

Anywoozle, the math for delta-v and TWR are easy and simple to do equations, don't start thinking your better for simply plugging in easy to find numbers and getting a result. Now if you came in here and told me you figured out the delta-v or TWR equations (if they didn't already exist) you could be a snooty, self righteous prick because you discovered it.

If that were the case, lower verbal scores on the SAT would correlate with higher math scores. They don't, and I'd be very interested in anything that would scientifically support that ridiculous theory.

I've never understood the people who think that the Internet (the world's predominant form of modern communication) should somehow be exempt from proper grammar and spelling. When else do such people use written communication? Quite likely, only on a job application - and any job that requires you to apply with pen and paper isn't likely a job for educated professionals at any rate. I'm not about to believe that these people suddenly write and spell better when they're not online. Communication and language are habits - one will tend to communicate the same way in all situations, unless there are rules or customs that specifically prohibit this. That's not the case here.

As for the game? I don't think anyone's better or worse for doing the math, or not doing the math, or letting MechJeb figure it out, or whatever. It all depends on what one considers "fun" and what one is hoping to get from their experience. I stopped playing EVE Online because it became less and less like a game, and more and more like an engineering job. If that's what I wanted to do , I could get paid to do it instead of paying $15 a month for the privilege.

Edited by HeadHunter67

Anywoozle, the math for delta-v and TWR are easy and simple to do equations, don't start thinking your better for simply plugging in easy to find numbers and getting a result. Now if you came in here and told me you figured out the delta-v or TWR equations (if they didn't already exist) you could be a snooty, self righteous prick because you discovered it.

Therein lays the problem with communications over the internet... You're making assumptions and getting all mad, but perhaps you’re misunderstanding the point people are trying to make? There's more to KSP's "math" than just delta-v and TWRs. Mathematics is a tool for understanding the game's physics. Like it or not, many of those who are fortunate enough to have sufficient mathematical training to investigate, learn about and do something useful with the game's physics have achieved something notable. I stand by my assertion that doing so is a greater achievement than not using math, just as designing your own spacecraft is a bigger achievement than using one of the stock craft. It is just a different kind of creativity. Perhaps this is an extreme example, but consider the work that went into developing MechJeb. Certainly that effort stands above the achievement of eyeballing a trip to Duna?

Therein lays the problem with communications over the internet... You're making assumptions and getting all mad, but perhaps you’re misunderstanding the point people are trying to make? There's more to KSP's "math" than just delta-v and TWRs. Mathematics is a tool for understanding the game's physics. Like it or not, many of those who are fortunate enough to have sufficient mathematical training to investigate, learn about and do something useful with the game's physics have achieved something notable. I stand by my assertion that doing so is a greater achievement than not using math, just as designing your own spacecraft is a bigger achievement than using one of the stock craft. It is just a different kind of creativity. Perhaps this is an extreme example, but consider the work that went into developing MechJeb. Certainly that effort stands above the achievement of eyeballing a trip to Duna?

By your logic, when I assign an IP address to a computer based on a class C network and calculate the binary, I achieved something greater then someone who did it with out doing the calculations? Honestly, that is stupid. It's just one of those things that isn't hard to do whether you do the math or not. The math only takes longer. I really do not consider it any more of an achievement because the end result is 100% the same.

I assume it would be the same for those who know how to do the math behind the physics. If you know how to do it, it isn't all that hard, nor would you brag about doing it or act like you achieved something greater then anyone else. That is simply an elitist personality.

Actually if you are able to understand it and do it with out the math, I consider that fairly notable within itself. Everything takes it's own skill, what is more notable is a very subjective thing. Who are you to say what is and isn't a greater achievement?

Also from what it sounds like is you are speaking for others, when you shouldn't be.

If that were the case, lower verbal scores on the SAT would correlate with higher math scores. They don't, and I'd be very interested in anything that would scientifically support that ridiculous theory.

I've never understood the people who think that the Internet (the world's predominant form of modern communication) should somehow be exempt from proper grammar and spelling. When else do such people use written communication? Quite likely, only on a job application - and any job that requires you to apply with pen and paper isn't likely a job for educated professionals at any rate. I'm not about to believe that these people suddenly write and spell better when they're not online. Communication and language are habits - one will tend to communicate the same way in all situations, unless there are rules or customs that specifically prohibit this. That's not the case here.

As for the game? I don't think anyone's better or worse for doing the math, or not doing the math, or letting MechJeb figure it out, or whatever. It all depends on what one considers "fun" and what one is hoping to get from their experience. I stopped playing EVE Online because it became less and less like a game, and more and more like an engineering job. If that's what I wanted to do , I could get paid to do it instead of paying $15 a month for the privilege.

On your grammar and spelling portion. It's not the internet that is exempt it's about the formalities that makes it exempt. If I respect the other person, and I am trying to impress, obviously I would want to write in a respectable manner. I would go back and recheck to make sure I have no issues in my writing.

When you are not subjected to such strictness, you simply just do not care. It just isn't as important to me.

The other issue is, I do not think 'anyone' uses proper grammar and spelling 100% of the time. On top of that, everyone has a different level of understanding of grammar and spelling. Only an ignorant jerk would assume everyone should write at some high degree of level. This is the internet, not everyone speaks English as their native language. Again, it's stupid to expect that much.

Edited by Brabbit1987

I think some people are saying "math" when what they mean is "arithmetic".

Just because you don't use numbers doesn't mean you're not doing math. Geometry is also math. Doing vector arithmetic graphically by rulers and protractors is still math. The sort of stuff you do when you fly KSP seat-of-the-pants style is still math. Knowing that slowing your speed by burning retrograde at apoapsis will cause your eliptical path to get narrower and skinnier due to reducing the size of your velocity vector, for example, is still a form of math.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.