No one doing a 44th Anniv Re-enactment? Let's all land on the Mun this weekend!

rodion_herrera

I was searching the forum for any discussions regarding the 44th anniversary of Apollo 11 and was a bit puzzled as to why there seemed to be none (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, I thought of starting this thread now (better late than never, even though that, in "retro realtime", the launch already occurred several hours ago). Perhaps we can share screenshots or videos of our "Apollo-esque" launches and landings we'll be doing in the next few days. And to make it a true commemoration, let's all set our target landing site to the AP11 Memorial Site on Mun, then share our screenies and videos here? Thanks :)

Two links as correction to OP :P

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/40563-July-16th-1969-forty-four-years-ago-today

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/39944-Apollo-11-Tribute-KSP-Edition-Video

Here's my latest proper Mün mission (was for a challenge last week), you'll see some similarities to Apollo since I'm a huge Apollo geek.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Johnno your design looks very nice and complete.

I've also been working on an Apollo style mission that is 100% stock (which if you know my usual style is kinda shocking). Not quite as complete as Johnno's, but it does have a little rover.

Qgu0lgWh.jpg

Here's the full album link - http://imgur.com/a/qMeH8

(how do I embed an imgur album on here?)

Because doing things stock is not my style I also did a mod version (which was much harder to make), the lander is still kind of the same, but the LV looks a bit more like a Saturn V, well, it has the same stages.

rEkpkwLh.jpg

Also the rover is bigger (and more importantly faster) and folds up (in a way that defines all sensible physics); - http://imgur.com/a/V2xXc

Edit: If i knew this thread existed, i would have taken some more shots or the mission.

Was just there to pickup 2 stranded kerbals. They landed with a far to narrow lander (with fueltanks on sides) tipping it over.

So ive spent 2 days trying to make a decent rescuelander (with returncapabilities)

Here it is:

screenshot2.png

:)

I am currently in the design stages of my own Apollo inspired mission that will take place on Sunday.

My mission requirement is that all three Kerbals will get to EVA on the moon. I won't leave one in the CSM. The CSM will be left in orbit and the lander will need to redock with it and bring it back to Kerbin. Gotta have a place to store all the Mun rocks, y'know!

Also, no nukes ... so no nuclear engines and no RTG.

Further, enough power must be stored to allow the ship to operate on the night side part of the orbit without running out of power.

Finally, the landing coordinates will be 0.67408N, -23.47297E.

I was attempting a Minmus landing after watching Scott Manley's video, but I still haven't got the hang of navigation. It all looked pretty simple, but the orbit of the Mun threw off my Minmus encounter trajectory. Some quick thinking allowed me to convert it into a Munar encounter, but I used too much fuel getting into Mun orbit. I ran out of fuel at about 500m from the surface, and hit going about 26 m/s. Bounced a couple times, sheared off my engine and came to rest upright. Well, it was a landing that Jeb could walk away from, so it must be "good", right? (Though it's a LONG walk home...)

FlagPlant_zpsb6e17712.png

1stMunarLanding_zps2b25108a.png

Thanks for the heads up :)

BTW, you can follow the mission in what I call RETRO REAL-TIME, by checking YOUR LOCAL TIME, vis a vis, the APOLLO FLIGHT JOURNAL for AP11...

HERE!

https://history.nasa.gov/ap11fj/

For example, I am typing this now, at 5:30 PM local time (Philippines) July 18, which means it's 5:30 AM US Eastern Standard Time, and 9:00 AM UTC. So, this means, using the flight journal, the astronauts are asleep (they will wake up in 2 hours), and the Apollo CSM/LM stack has been flying for 44 hours 37 minutes. Additionally it's "...now some 72,010 nautical miles (133,363 km) out from the Earth. Velocity continuing to decelerate as we get nearer the changeover point in influence between the Earth and the Moon. Velocity now showing 3,811 feet per second (1,162 m/s). The spacecraft now calculated to weigh 96,068 pounds (43,576 kg)." This is retro real-time :D

Old timers, does this happen every year? Just wondering. If so it's like space Christmas.

Well, it's a lot easier now that we have KSP. Otherwise we'd have to trudge uphill in a hip-deep snowstorm to build a replica rocket out of old Model T parts. Good times, good times. :D

Joking aside, yes, it's an annual thing. I know over on the Orbiter forum it's a pretty big deal, and I always try to do a "by the numbers" flight. This will be my first with KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.