No one doing a 44th Anniv Re-enactment? Let's all land on the Mun this weekend!

rodion_herrera

I'm also doing an Apollo 11 reenactment, though I launched two days behind schedule. Nothing too fancy, just my well-used ULM-1 C/SM with a newly-designed LM (using a proven descent module from my one-kerbal lander can days). All stock. I'm perhaps a bit too proud of my free-return trajectory though. ;)

20130718_kspst0027_apollo11.jpg

20130718_kspst0015_apollo11_freereturn.jpg

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Something for me to do tomorrow, since I'd forgotten. I'm one of (probably very few of) you who actually saw the original live - although I was a tiny baby of about 10 months old and my parents got me up to see so I don't really remember much of it, if any. So many re-runs since and the memories merge into one another...

I'll give something a go. Been a while since I used all stock parts.

Personally, I blame Jeb! Before kethane, everything was ok, then Jeb - it would have to be Jeb wouldn't it - came up with a way to turn kethane into kethanol, and make keer. That was bad enough, but kethamphetamine and krystal keth were the end... Now all I have to remember is explosions... and the struts... oh the struts...

Just test flew my Apollo-style launch stack. So far so good, except for that little thing of the third stage exploding on start up. Probably a clipped decoupler, but it sure made Jeb sit up and take notice! :D

I'm going to do it, except with LionHead's MEM with CSM and the Apollo Mission Pack Saturn V. I want it to LOOK authentic. Also, with Kerbal Crew Manifest, I'm making Neil, Buzz and Mike... This is the first time I'll get to do this, so I want to make it feel like it's Apollo 11...just without the extra stuff they deployed.

I landed on Minimus today. That count?

The friendly response is yes, Minmus is a satellite of Kerbin, so I guess it's okay.

However, bear in mind that we do have a target landing site, and that's the "APOLLO 11 Memorial" that mimics the coordinates of the AP11 landing site on the REAL moon.

I hate the fact that I started the thread yet I'm still having issues with my launch stack, but I plan to launch soon. The thing about "launching late" is actually okay, considering that it only takes a few hours to get to Mun compared to the 3 days it takes to get to the Moon, so I guess launching on Saturday is no big deal, just make sure you also land about the same time as the real LM.

So, using the retro real-time track, when exactly will the real LM land?

Saturday, July 20, at 20:18 UTC (that's 4:18 PM, US EST, and 4:18 AM, my time, July 21)

So, if we can all spam this thread with our screenshots AT THAT EXACT TIME, then it would be quite fun to see all our landing screenies :)

I was searching the forum for any discussions regarding the 44th anniversary of Apollo 11 and was a bit puzzled as to why there seemed to be none (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, I thought of starting this thread now (better late than never, even though that, in "retro realtime", the launch already occurred several hours ago). Perhaps we can share screenshots or videos of our "Apollo-esque" launches and landings we'll be doing in the next few days. And to make it a true commemoration, let's all set our target landing site to the AP11 Memorial Site on Mun, then share our screenies and videos here? Thanks :)

What a nice idea

Jeb is allready in training

screenshot146j.png

and the Saturn V is ready on the pad

screenshot73la.png

Everybody who is in need of a working SaturnV/Apollo11 design can use my stock design: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-19-ancient-launchers-stock/

Edited by maro

As I'm basing it on a later Apollo flight, to submit it in the Apollo style challenge, mine is under way. Almost completed the second EVA session. ...If I can get this buggy down the hill without flipping..

Here is a little preview:

PggkDgY.png

The plan is for landing screenies here, plus an album to show the rest. It should be interesting to see all the ways people have done it.

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.