[1.0.5] TAC Life Support v0.11.2.1 [12Dec]

TaranisElsu

you can use a green hows to purify waste water

I guess that would depend highly on the waste in question. That being said, whether it purifies the water or not, a greenhouse should be a consumer of water and not a producer. Based off my extremely limited experience growing plants, it would be waste, carbon dioxide, water, and electricity as inputs and you'd get food, oxygen, and waste water as outputs, with the system loss being less water output than input and a very low level of food generation, something on the order of 0.75L - 1L / day (using the new system and still and probably will always be working on human values).

Why such a low number? This is because the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations is quoted on this page as stating that the absolute minimum land required to sustain one person is about 0.07 hectares, which works out to 700m. Assuming a standard 2.5m x 5m greenhouse, you're presented with 39.2699m² of surface on which to grow, which I'm going to say could be made into 80m² by using the outer walls as well as an inner growth structure. That 80m² comes out to about 11.5% of the 700m² minimum, meaning that a single part of this type should provide about 11.5% of the food intake for a single CM-d. I'd say there is a little leeway here for advanced aeroponics horticulture techniques, but the ultimate result is that you'd need at least 9 2.5m x 5m greenhouses to realistically support a single person.

This all isn't to say that a greenhouse or two wouldn't be a great addition to a long duration mission. The reality is that it would be a great CO2 scrubber as well as providing at least some supplemental food. In addition, if this or any other mod starts tracking kerbal general well being, the inclusion of some greenery should have a positive effect on that.

Part of that is how you grow the pants and what you grow, things like box gardning, and hidropinice incress the crop yeald of a space by letting you grow your pants closer to geather, I am not sure how much that the incress is

Remember that Kerbals are about a meter tall.

Converting the consumption rates based on Taranis' worksheet to simulate a kerbal needing only about 51% of the daily intake of a human converts that number to 357.5m² instead of 700m². Translated out into our working parts, that's 4.47 2.5m x 5m greenhouses @ 80m² per. Still quite a lot of parts to support a single kerbal.

Is this mod compatible with Interstellar? For example if I have a station running TAC Life Support in orbit of Laythe, can I restock its water supplies by bringing a bunch up from the surface in storage tanks? Even recyclable waste water? What about turning oxidiser into breathable oxygen?

The answer here is no, KSPI uses the resource LqdWater and TACLS uses Water. There are a couple of mods floating around to make them play nice, but there may be unintended side effects. Try searching for KESA resource integration.

The greenhouse is the latest in Kerbal hydroponics technology - it cleans the waste water from all the connected modules by running it over the roots of the Ssnak tree seedlings which remove all the waste from it, growing the rich, flavorful ssnak fruit from it - unlimited ssnaks for Jeb!

It's not a perfect process - there is some loss in the system since the waste water is not just H2O. It takes waste water and delivers back 60% of that volume as fresh water. So even with the greenhouse running, there is still a need - albeit slower - to resupply the Kerbals with fresh water.

The configs that use "MESH =" are ok... the issues lies with the ones that use "MODEL =" as KSP can't find the model.

You have TAC LS installed in an incorrect location. Your GameData directory should looks like this:

GameData/
ThunderAerospace/
TacLifeSupport/
TacLifeSupport_v0.8.0.4.txt
TacLifeSupportContainers/
TacLifeSupportHexCans/
TacLifeSupportRecyclers/

Anything else will result in missing parts.

And voila:

Part list after clean up:

I haven't touched the recyclers because I saw they have different conversion amounts and TweakScaling them would change that.

All the sizes available:

http://i.imgur.com/jXCjGFr.png

0.625 to 5m on the containers and the hexcans.. there's a quite a lot more variety there. From memory, you can limit the amount of sizes but I don't know why you'd want to do that here. Why take extra stuff you don't need?

Resource amounts:

Containers: 30, 240, 1920, 6480, 15360

Hexcans: 3.75, 10.29, 30, 82.32, 240, 659, 1920

As far as I can tell, those are pretty well balanced. The containers have exactly the same amount as the 'stock' ones of them, so.. success! I have used the 1.25m version of the containers and the Normal sized hexcan to tweak, so the others should be removed (all Large and Small versions of both).

And here's the link: https://www./?kpf1t719cn2pvk9

I hope you like it :)

P.S. - this hasn't been tested on any of the retextures or other models, this is literally just made from/for a 'stock' TACLS install. But if they are literally just textures, there's no reason this wouldn't work on them too.

Hey Thanks for the config! been wanting a way to cleanup the life support part list. Where in the Game Data folder do you drop this config? I tried in the TACLS folder, and it doesnt seem to have any effect.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

Hey Thanks for the config! been wanting a way to cleanup the life support part list. Where in the Game Data folder do you drop this config? I tried in the TACLS folder, and it doesnt seem to have any effect.

Thanks in advance.

You need to have both tweakscale and module manager installed. The cfg itself can live anywhere.

How can I add support for TAC for a mod?

I'm using this mod but it was abandoned long ago, and some of it's parts (the hydroponics module and the habitation module) have no life support resources.

I want to be able to generate food and recycle CO2 via the hydroponics module at the cost of electricity and water, and I want to add oxigen, food and water storage for the habitation module

How can I add support for TAC for a mod?

I'm using this mod but it was abandoned long ago, and some of it's parts (the hydroponics module and the habitation module) have no life support resources.

I want to be able to generate food and recycle CO2 via the hydroponics module at the cost of electricity and water, and I want to add oxigen, food and water storage for the habitation module

I've just done something similar by turning the stock cupola into a TAC greenhouse - check out the part.cfg file of my mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84246-0-23-5-MunSeeker-Greenhouse-Mk1-%28TAC-Life-Support-add-on%29-Update-6-27-2014/page2

The config changes are pretty straightforward and what you want to do is close to what I did there.

Wouldn't a greenhouse need water rather than supply it?

It does. It takes in 100% of 3 kerbals' worth of wastewater, and supplies 60% of the required potable water. That's a net loss of 40%.

I've just done something similar by turning the stock cupola into a TAC greenhouse - check out the part.cfg file of my mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/84246-0-23-5-MunSeeker-Greenhouse-Mk1-%28TAC-Life-Support-add-on%29-Update-6-27-2014/page2

The config changes are pretty straightforward and what you want to do is close to what I did there.

Thank you :D, gonna give it a try

Just to clarify, the 1st number on the TAC life support is days right? Then it goes hours, minutes and seconds? Or does it go weeks, days, hours, minutes?

Just to clarify, the 1st number on the TAC life support is days right? Then it goes hours, minutes and seconds? Or does it go weeks, days, hours, minutes?

Days:H:M yes. Currently 24H days, but TaranisElsu is in the process of converting it to Liters for compatibility with other mods, and to allow both 24Hr and 6Hr (Kerbin) days.

I'm about to download this mod, but can somehow make Base on Dun without worrying about oxygen food and water? I mean, can I somehow get the oxygen from the air, food from plants and water from soil. And one more questio is it compatibile with interstellar?

But is it possible to mine water and collect carbondioxide from air to make those plants gorowing? It would be reallly nice if I could use refineries and atmo. scoops from interstellar to that

I'm about to download this mod, but can somehow make Base on Dun without worrying about oxygen food and water? I mean, can I somehow get the oxygen from the air, food from plants and water from soil. And one more questio is it compatibile with interstellar?
But is it possible to mine water and collect carbondioxide from air to make those plants gorowing? It would be reallly nice if I could use refineries and atmo. scoops from interstellar to that

You can use MKS (Modular Kolonization System) to make bases on other planets and moons. You can produce energy, food, oxygen, water and many more to stay alive on the other planets without shipping the resources in.

You have to instal TAC LS and Kethane to make it all work.

Edited by Olympic1
Added required mods