How to not crash into station while auto-pilot docking in mechjeb 2.0 ?

The problem is that the autopilot does not see any obstacles and finds the shortest possible route which is usually through the station components and crashes.

Is there an obstacle detection mod which checks the path for obstacles and makes new ones to make sure the craft doesn't bang into any other object...?

You can always try HydroTech RCS, it has a docking autopilot, and it works far better than MechJeb's. It tends to align from far away then go forward slowly so it doesn't run into any objects. You can also use different tools to do it manually but with a lot of help from the plugin.

Or do I have the ports fitted the wrong way?

This is not how to fit them ? (as shown in picture)

port.png

Its supposed to fit the other way?

damn it. now I'll have to launch two more space stations, then re-dock all the fuel tanks on to it.

you see, I'm making a big modular space station where I'll add many small fuel tanks for refueling big crafts to other planets.

But I'm having a problem, it is wobbly. the tanks weight around 20 tons when full. And they wobble alot when attached to the station using the shielded ports as you can see in the picture. So is the only solution the tri adapter and multiple ports ? and will that work on autopilot (I doubted this part, thats why I never put the multiple port system)

Sr. dockingports will make for less wobble, you can also try quantum struts. And don't activate ASAS on your station, it's probably the worse idea of all. Just quickly warp and unwarp if there's any wobble.

but seniors are too big for it...

@Illicit : its the standard size non-shielded port. not senior or junior, its the medium size one. same size as shielded.

So is it possible for auto-pilot docking if I have double ports using bi adapter ?

but seniors are too big for it...

@Illicit : its the standard size non-shielded port. not senior or junior, its the medium size one. same size as shielded.

So is it possible for auto-pilot docking if I have double ports using bi adapter ?

The MechJeb autopilot will only align you with one docking port, so while it's approaching to dock, you will need to roll the craft to align the second one, because MechJeb doesn't know about the second one. This is problematic if the first docking port is not on the axis of your center of mass, because rolling will put you out of alignment and MechJeb will have to correct for that.

The MechJeb autopilot will only align you with one docking port, so while it's approaching to dock, you will need to roll the craft to align the second one, because MechJeb doesn't know about the second one. This is problematic if the first docking port is not on the axis of your center of mass, because rolling will put you out of alignment and MechJeb will have to correct for that.

I got it working. you "control from" one port and target a port. Then you line up the other using E and Q while its still "moving forward" to the port. it worked.

that other hydratech something rcs couldn't work on my station cuz there was no "calculate-able" place for the targets. It would have been trial and error with the distances and I don't have the time to launch 20 spacecrafts just to make it work lol...

I had a MechJeb-assisted docking smack into one of my station's solar panels. I didn't notice it until I had docked and saw a panel missing like a missing tooth, then looked down and saw the panel slowly floating away.

Now when I do stations, I don't have that many of those large panels fearing it'll happen again.

Edited by Benie

You can always try HydroTech RCS, it has a docking autopilot, and it works far better than MechJeb's. It tends to align from far away then go forward slowly so it doesn't run into any objects. You can also use different tools to do it manually but with a lot of help from the plugin.

Hydrotech has the benefit that it rotates the target, this way it avoid the sideways movement. Mechjeb works nice for docking smaller ships but if you want to put 100 ton parts together hydrotech is recomended.

However then using docking autopilots its recommended to do the rough part of the docking yourself, ships in same orbits and 0-0.2 m/s and ports aligned towards each other as close as possible before starting the automatic.

Hydrotech has the benefit that it rotates the target, this way it avoid the sideways movement. Mechjeb works nice for docking smaller ships but if you want to put 100 ton parts together hydrotech is recomended.

However then using docking autopilots its recommended to do the rough part of the docking yourself, ships in same orbits and 0-0.2 m/s and ports aligned towards each other as close as possible before starting the automatic.

The most useful feature to me is that it holds the perfect orientation. You just have to switch to chase camera, get roughly aligned, switch to the docking camera and go in, simply minding if you're on the target or not, and then you go forward and it's done.

I've just docked close to 100 ton complex space station with fuel tanks and other space craft using mechjeb...It works. and it was double ports too.

I think hydro is useless for crafts where you don't have enough space for the target and camera in the right place.

I had a MechJeb-assisted docking smack into one of my station's solar panels. I didn't notice it until I had docked and saw a panel missing like a missing tooth, then looked down and saw the panel slowly floating away.

Now when I do stations, I don't have that many of those large panels fearing it'll happen again.

Just retract the panels before docking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.