[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

Alright, here is 2.03.5 test #2. If there are no major issues discovered, I'll officially release it and do the spaceport and front page thing.

https://www./?6u5xe6khreckr8k

This one has the fixes for NP proper as well as Freyja and the fixes needed from its 1st test.

Changelog for 2.03.5 (Test Release #2):

------------------------

Added Freyja Crew Servie Vehicle after its initial test release. 3.75m Pod (crew of 6) with trunk/service module and docking port/RCS parts. No Custom IVA

-Fixes from Freyja test release 1:

--Lowered pod Center of Mass to fix float and parachute hanging issue

--Fixed docking port to make it.. dock. Accepts size0 to size2 docking nodes in one part.

--New ladder fixtures near crew hatch + ladder collider adjustments.

--Tweaked trunk drymass

Rebalanced SAS modules (thanks biohazard15!) - increase mass, torque and power consumption across the board, tweaked attach nodes to reduce wobble.

Slightly tweaked little mother and orbital bertha TWR ratio after some feedback from stupid_chris

Fixed typo in thrust of Bronco 4x (previously hotfixed in test #1 download)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I've encountered a really weird bug with 2.03.5.

I like to use SAS modules as engine radiators - they are light, they are pretty, and there is added bonus in form of, well, SAS. Almost all my heavy rockets include SAS modules between 1st stage engine and fuel tank.

Now, the bug:

http://imgur.com/a/9ofVr

I've tried to disable reaction wheels before launch - nothing changes, the rocket still turning. Turning SAS on\off also doesn't help.

I have no idea what can cause that. This started after I've updated NovaPunch from 2.03 to 2.03.5, before that I've made a successful launch with 3.75m SAS-radiator on a first stage. All possible perpetrators - Mechjeb, KJR, other mods (although I haven't any mods that somehow alter SAS behavior, except MJ) were updated earlier, and worked completely normal with NP 2.03.

Smaller SAS (1.25m and 2.5m) doesn't suffer from this problem.

That looks like a center of mass issue. Center of mass is affected by the part's origin. If part origin is not 0,0,0 (probably X/Z are more important in this regard) then the center of mass will be off by that much.

I've noticed a lot of the same problem in a lot of Bobcat's work such as HOME and American Pack. The problem there is even more severe, specifically in the latter, if you try to launch an Ares 1, straight up vertical as in your test it will veer off sharply eventually even somersaulting. And that's WITH SAS on. It's literally not even possible to compensate at all.

That's what I think is happening to you, but I don't know why the effect would be present in 0.23.5 and not earlier versions.

If you install the RCS balancer and set it to engine mode I think you'll probably see that part is off balance.

Alright, here is 2.03.5 test #2. If there are no major issues discovered, I'll officially release it and do the spaceport and front page thing.

Tested it for three hours - no issues discovered so far. Updated Freyja looks and fly good.

That looks like a center of mass issue.

It seems that CoM is OK - RCS Build Aid doesn't shown anything unusual, the rocket should fly straight up.

I never used Bobcat's packs (I'm not a fan of premade rockets), but you may try to look at their cfgs and try to remove node size definitions from any part that has SAS\reaction wheel functionality (Except maybe command modules - usually these are placed on the very top and shouldn't cause any issues). Looks like that the new joints simply do not like SAS (Or maybe joints never worked well with SAS - who knows, since size definition was practically disabled prior to 0.23.5)

Alright, NP 2.03.5 is officially out of testing and released. You can down the downloads on the first page (Mediafire and Dropbox)

I'm not uploading to spaceport anymore because the site is pretty broken, sorry if you preferred that download method.

No changes from Test #2, so no need to update if you downloaded that.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Alright, NP 2.03.5 is officially out of testing and released. You can down the downloads on the first page (Mediafire and Dropbox)

I'm not uploading to spaceport anymore because the site is pretty broken, sorry if you preferred that download method.

No changes from Test #2, so no need to update if you downloaded that.

http://imgur.com/a/iJuhy

lets hope this fixes the pod from "poping" out of it's rcs block

That was caused by an old version of KSPI, not Novapunch. (affects any pod with a built-in decoupler)

WHAT?! i haven't touched kspi... also getting the same problem in ksp 0.23.5 here's what is spamming the logs.

[EXC 14:17:51.482] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[LOG 14:17:51.901] nearestTT is NaN! t1: 0, t2: 0, FEVp: NaN, SEVp: NaN
[LOG 14:17:51.901] problem!
[NaN, NaN, NaN] - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - NaN - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - 0
[LOG 14:17:51.901] problem!
[NaN, NaN, NaN] - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - NaN - [NaN, NaN, NaN] - 0
[LOG 14:17:51.901] getObtAtUT result is NaN! UT: NaN
[LOG 14:17:51.901] nearestTT is NaN! t1: 0, t2: 0, FEVp: NaN, SEVp: NaN

getting alot of NaN (not a number) things... they look like cords tho...

Is anyone else on Linux having an issue with getting Novapunch to load? It's not a memory issue because I'm running the 64 bit version anyway; and furthermore, I've tried running it as the only thing in the gamedata folder, and it still crashes. I have no idea what could be causing it because it works fine for me on Windows, just not on Linux.

--Edit--

Nevermind. It was some kind of bug with my settings file. I reinstalled the game from scratch and everything works fine. Thanks again for this great collection of parts, and I'm loving the new Freyja.

Edited by 15nelsoc

Well I do know that the Linux version did have some memory issues even though its 64bit. Did you try the Active Texture Management mod to make sure it isn't a memory issue?

Otherwise I'll need to see the logs generated from an attempt to load KSP. (Should be a ksp.log in the main folder I think? been a while since I messed with KSP on Linux)

Anit-Matter: what other mods are you using? I've tried to make it happen too many times on a stock install and it just doesn't happen. And there is a million combinations of mods out there, so we'll need to narrow it down. Try to remove any you can and re-test it. (Those NaN errors are generic and won't really help narrow it down)

Speaking of Odin, I'm working a little more on the new one. How many of you actually use the landing capability? I know the current legs are crappy, but are they useful? I am pondering foregoing built-in gear on the craft (ala DragonRider or the Russian PTK NP concepts) and leaving it a traditional capsule + service module setup.

Well I do know that the Linux version did have some memory issues even though its 64bit. Did you try the Active Texture Management mod to make sure it isn't a memory issue?

Otherwise I'll need to see the logs generated from an attempt to load KSP. (Should be a ksp.log in the main folder I think? been a while since I messed with KSP on Linux)

Anit-Matter: what other mods are you using? I've tried to make it happen too many times on a stock install and it just doesn't happen. And there is a million combinations of mods out there, so we'll need to narrow it down. Try to remove any you can and re-test it. (Those NaN errors are generic and won't really help narrow it down)

Speaking of Odin, I'm working a little more on the new one. How many of you actually use the landing capability? I know the current legs are crappy, but are they useful? I am pondering foregoing built-in gear on the craft (ala DragonRider or the Russian PTK NP concepts) and leaving it a traditional capsule + service module setup.

yeah i was thinking about just saying %$*! it and just starting a fresh download and install mod by mod (with NP2 as the first mod) and seeing which ones don't like it... i'm running alot of mods so it's a mild hassel but i'll try getting it down and report back so you can make it compatible (or at least warn others)

Looks like everyone is making Shuttles and Saturn Vs these days... :) First we've had KSO and the reviewed CSS come out, and now FASA, OLDD and NP all have started on Saturn V-style parts (in case of OLDD, an actual, genuine replica). :)

Left looks like a 5m engine. Would be nice to have one that falls between Matriarch and Bearcat (and use it on NP-only Saturn V replica - because Matriarch instead of J-2 cluster looks... unnatural)

Right looks like the same engine, but single and in 3.75m configuration. What's that "column" on it?

Heh, I'm not "starting" to make a Saturn V. That particular engine predates Novapunch and was created by SundayPunch. It's named the K2-X and is obviously based on the J-2. I just decided to let it actually serve its intended role after all this time. NP has had parts that mimic Saturn parts since the beginning, so nothing has changed (and there have been several actual Saturn packs released in the past before FASA and the OLDD mods too. Oh, and I wouldn't know anything about shuttle mods. :wink:

Anyway, still not making an actual Saturn replica, its just delivering on oft requested parts. :)

Adam: Yeah this is just a screenshot from Blender where I was cloning and rescaling objects, those other meshes above the left engine are the original colliders and the fairing, as wel as a reference cylinder to get the baseplate sized correctly. They're just pulled up out of the way until I need them during export.

So, considering these as new 5m 2nd stage and 3.75m upper stage engines, what purpose would you like for Little Mother and Matriarch? Happy with them as low-profile upper stages, or would they be better as something like their inspirations, the N-1 1st and 2nd stage engines? May not have to make any changes, but i am open to it. Lots of engines in NP, want to try to give them all a niche.

More different pic:

Ax5I0Y7.png

Edited by Tiberion

So, considering these as new 5m 2nd stage and 3.75m upper stage engines, what purpose would you like for Little Mother and Matriarch? Happy with them as low-profile upper stages, or would they be better as something like their inspirations, the N-1 1st and 2nd stage engines? May not have to make any changes, but i am open to it. Lots of engines in NP, want to try to give them all a niche.

Little Mother is good as it is - it is virtually my standard engine for 3.75m upper stages. Recent thrust changes made it even better - I've tested it with KR-2L, and I don't think that I'll be switching soon, at least not on my current heavy launcher line.

The Matriarch is a thing that I rarely use - I've installed it on a 2nd stage of ultra-heavy launcher made especially for 300-ton refuel vessel. Maybe make its vacuum Isp higher? Oh, and by the way - please fix exhaust effects :)

Looks like everyone is making Shuttles and Saturn Vs these days... :) First we've had KSO and the reviewed CSS come out, and now FASA, OLDD and NP all have started on Saturn V-style parts (in case of OLDD, an actual, genuine replica). :)

Denny got me started on the Saturn V thing, so thank him for the plethora of Apollo.

New NovaPunch parts look awesome...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.