[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

Love the mod, and I really appreciate all the work you do to keep it going. All the suggestions over the last couple pages should be taken as intended to be helpful!

Quick question: when you're testing these and deciding on fuel capacity, are you using the fuel consumption fix? I just made a trip to Mun using the Thor lander and didn't even have enough fuel to get to Kerbin using the most efficient burn possible (very low orbit from front side until in between Kerbin and Mun, then burn to escape). I had to use RCS to make it back to the planet.

Then again, I guess it would be an insurmountable pain in the ass to test with the fix, then release without it. Unless you wanted to package it with the fuelmod fix, but then there's the license issues associated with that!

Thanks, Tib. I know this was a huge amount of work. As you said earlier, I'm sure some things could use tweaking, but your efforts to bring this great parts pack up to .16 are very much appreciated :D A few parts needing adjustment don't detract from your efforts. I'm sure the pack will be balanced and moved to beta soon enough.

Great job. :D

I believe I know what you are talking about CaptRobau. The 1.75 Meter Solid Rocket Booster has a crash tolerance of 160. Which I believe means it could survive a crash at 160m/s. That should probably be lowered to 15-40ish... The half sized one has a rating of 75 which is a wee bit high as well. Looking through the configs it looks like a lot of things have a crash tolerance of 160.

PLF - Explosive Bolt

SAS-2 vernier pod

SSH Series

Odin OTV Docking Structure

LEM-5 Lander Leg

Mk6 Parachute

KC-120 Adapter/Decoupler

KC-130 Adapter/Decoupler

Large Bertha

Medium Bertha

HH-78b Adapter

HH-78b6a9 Adapter

Mk. 847 1-2 Hollow Stage Decoupler

HH-90909 Adapter

Mk. 77b Hollow Stage Decoupler

HH-78c Adapter

Mk. 77 Hollow Stage Decoupler

Mk. 2.3 Hollow Stage Decoupler

NovaPunch Series Lander Tank

HH-78a Large Fuel Tank

HH-78 Double-length fuel tank

RCST-175

HH-78ab Small Fuel Tank

HH-77 Insulated Fuel Tank

FL-S100L Fuel Tank

FL-R25 Fuel Tank

HH-78e Adapter

Mk. 46 Hollow Stage Decoupler

RS-351 Stack Decoupler (1.75m)

TiberDyne JF-1750 Solid Booster

KC-210 Adapter/Decoupler

Centaur-21 Adapter

KC-230 Adapter/Decoupler

RS-202 Stack Decoupler

RS-201 Stack Decoupler

FL-S2000 Fuel Tank

FL-S500 Fuel Tank

Bearcat Tri-nozzle rocket engine (2m)

HH-90908 Adapter

RCST-200

KC-310 Adapter/Decoupler

KC-320 Adapter/Decoupler

Centaur-32 Adapter

HS-300 Stack Decoupler

RS-501 Stack Decoupler

RS-502 Stack Decoupler

FL-T3000 Fuel Tank

FL-R1000 Fuel Tank

HH-78d Adapter

3 to 5 meter adatper structure

Mk-97b Hollow Stage Decoupler

RCST-300

HS-500 Stack Decoupler

RS-701 Stack Decoupler

RS-702 Stack Decoupler

TD-5002 Fuel Tank

TD-5001 Fuel Tank

RCST-500

QS-80 Stack Decoupler

QS-91 Stack Decoupler

QS-92 Stack Decoupler

QS-93 Stack Decoupler

2 to 2.5 meter fairing panel

2.5 to 1.75 meter adatper structure

2.5 to 2 meter adatper structure

2.5 to 3 meter adatper structure

2.5 meter fairing panel

2.5 meter fairing panel

2.5 meter fairing panel

ML-22 Landing Leg

KSP-30 Solid Fuel Booster

KMX Industries MiniBooster

CMM-96 Surplus Booster

LM-00 Support Structure (Thor Lander)

Of those these are the engines that are above 100:

SAS-2 vernier pod

Large Bertha

Medium Bertha

TiberDyne JF-1750 Solid Booster

Bearcat Tri-nozzle rocket engine (2m)

KSP-30 Solid Fuel Booster

KMX Industries MiniBooster

CMM-96 Surplus Booster

TD-0120 4X

Odin OTV Orbital Engine

LF-A30 Liquid Fuel Aerospike Engine

Quick question: when you're testing these and deciding on fuel capacity, are you using the fuel consumption fix? I just made a trip to Mun using the Thor lander and didn't even have enough fuel to get to Kerbin using the most efficient burn possible (very low orbit from front side until in between Kerbin and Mun, then burn to escape). I had to use RCS to make it back to the planet.

You mean the bug where lower throttle settings are using a fraction of the intended fuel? If so, I was testing at full throttle since it is unaffected by my understanding. Makes it tricky to test in orbit, but I managed.

The tank values really messed up me though, so I need to make another engine pass. I'll look at moving around some thrust values too.

Should release a bugfix patch later tonight.

Those crash tolerances are not 1:1 ratio, and again those settings are bumped up to keep parts from breaking under the high mass that 3 and 5 meter parts introduce. At lower settings the gravity force experience by load-bearing parts exceeds crash tolerance and the parts explode. Which is no bueno.

Its not really realistic for every single part to explode in a fireball either. Sometimes debris should just be debris.

Edited by Tiberion

You mean the bug where lower throttle settings are using a fraction of the intended fuel? If so, I was testing at full throttle since it is unaffected by my understanding. Makes it tricky to test in orbit, but I managed.

The tank values really messed up me though, so I need to make another engine pass. I'll look at moving around some thrust values too.

Should release a bugfix patch later tonight.

Those crash tolerances are not 1:1 ratio, and again those settings are bumped up to keep parts from breaking under the high mass that 3 and 5 meter parts introduce. At lower settings the gravity force experience by load-bearing parts exceeds crash tolerance and the parts explode. Which is no bueno.

Its not really realistic for every single part to explode in a fireball either. Sometimes debris should just be debris.

Yeah, that's the bug I'm talking about. Testing at 100% throttle will work for the most part, though you'll suffer heavily from drag forces at launch.

Is there anything you'd like help with?

Two things come to mind:

Run some tests on the radial liquid engines and look for some balanced numbers; They're sort of multi-purpose sicne they can serve as added control for core stages on launch and as lander engines, possibly in 0 atmosphere. I guess it would be okay to have them not-so-efficient in atmosphere and pretty good in vacuum. but thats just off the top of my head.

The other thing would be crash testing tanks, engines, and SRB stages to find the 'sweet spot' where they don't break off during ascent but still explode when crashing down without a chute. Even finding a basic weight to setting ratio would be enough, as I can do the math on each individual part.

Thats only if someone is bored. :)

Just a note.. I notised the older smaller 1 meter Odin engines, their tank and the rcs thrusters and their tank (also the tanks for thor lander) had been resized.

Imo they are perfect for small landers and i was lucky the older parts where still in the trashcan..

Just a shout out too those who liked them that they are replaced with the bigger size parts.

Would maybe be a good idea to add the orginal 1 meter versions to the pack? If its too much work then well... read this before you delete them. =)

Awsome pack though .. the bigger ones will be used too!!

No, I don't promote the use of those parts outside of the Odin construction, because the numbers are fudged and thus a bit 'cheaty'

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people editing things and using weird combos, its your game and you can plan however you like, but I can't add duplicate parts just for that purpose.

I will leave 1.2b available for download, you can always get them from there.

Ok I understand that and i agree. The small tanks hold way too much fuel, engines overpowered etc. that can be balanced like i have done. I just like the smaller versions of them.

But i will fix it on my own =).. just a bit of help.. When i have added the old parts (renamed them in part cfg.) and rebuilt my lander etc.. when i load them the new bigger parts are still there.

how do i fix that?

Edit: i solved it

Edited by Hyperon4

Ok I understand that and i agree. The small tanks hold way too much fuel, engines overpowered etc. that can be balanced like i have done. I just like the smaller versions of them.

But i will fix it on my own =).. just a bit of help.. When i have added the old parts (renamed them in part cfg.) and rebuilt my lander etc.. when i load them the new bigger parts are still there.

how do i fix that?

You didn't change the name in the cfg file.

Two things come to mind:

Run some tests on the radial liquid engines and look for some balanced numbers; They're sort of multi-purpose sicne they can serve as added control for core stages on launch and as lander engines, possibly in 0 atmosphere. I guess it would be okay to have them not-so-efficient in atmosphere and pretty good in vacuum. but thats just off the top of my head.

The other thing would be crash testing tanks, engines, and SRB stages to find the 'sweet spot' where they don't break off during ascent but still explode when crashing down without a chute. Even finding a basic weight to setting ratio would be enough, as I can do the math on each individual part.

Thats only if someone is bored. :)

I'll play with the engines and see what I can find.

On another note, I did some math with the rocket equation comparing the old Odin lander to the new one, and the new one appears to have drastically less delta-v. If I'm not mistaken, the fuel capacity should be bumped up to 583 from 275 to put it in line with the previous vessel.

Edited by mrenigma03

why oh why do people use mediafire, it so sucks ...I have to make about 20 attempts before it finally lets me download even a small file.

Please peeps, change to another medium for your files.

The majority of people here do not have a problem using mediafire. This is why it's the most popular for modders on this forum.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

So, those tweaked tank configs sort of brought the house of cards crashing down, and I had ended up having to massively rework all the engine data. It took forever to get to a point where launchers didn't feel massively underpowered.

Gonna sleep on it and test some more tomorrow. I'll work on any last minute bugs or suggestions then.

Anyway, there were 1200 downloads of the old version since I posted it. Already have 930 downloads of 1.3a recorded, so that's a little crazy.

A minor thing:

The stock capsules allow us to glue equipment on them. Your capsules don't. Leaves me without a place to glue my mechjeb :)

Do you think it's something you could and want to change?

I recommend you edit the .cfg's of the capsules to MechJebPod

that way, you have your normal pod plus mech jeb, no ugly things hanging by the side :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.