[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

In the current version both ports were built into the model - but its not really working that great, so I'll probably make some docking ports to stick on there, it'll make it easier. So it would be possible to replace one side of it with a little propulsion module, like this:

IM20130410alas204.png

I have an idea in my head for one in that vein - a 1.25m round cage with 4 spheroid tanks for the fuel, and then an engine+nozzle in the middle - the whole thing would be very low profile and fit on a 1.25m tank as well.

I've got so many other things lined up in my head though, I dunno when I could do it. I've got shuttlemod stuff bouncing around in there again too.

So if anyone wants to make that wee little propulsion unit, I'd totally use it. Even just having the model and texture would be swell, I could squeeze it through Unity in an hour or so probably.

And I like the name for the OrbMod - I might name it Huginn and the service module Muninn :)

Hey I think its great that someone likes this enough to care about the name :blush:

So, I wanted to work on fairings today - that wasn't in the cards. Since I had to make a standalone port, I decided to make a new androgynous one for the job. (I don't even remember who modeled that docking clamp, someone shared it a long time ago in hopes of making standard docking ports for mods (before docking was a think, even) - but with no good way to make A:B ports, it didn't really make sense.

So, new one: fvMU6f8.png (You can see other images up above in the NPDev album - its also linked in my sig)

So, one problem solved. The other is a logical one. Currently I have putting 3 modules in my docking port - one to match each size of stock port so you can dock to anything you have built. Its cheaty, but it simplifies it greatly with the way KSP works.

The problem is, when you dock to another part with my port on it, all three nodes dock - that means you have to undock all three before leaving, and you get 3 times the spam on the popup menu. It's pretty annoying, and I don't seem to be able to customize the text on the popup to even make it readable. Also, none of the ports match up visually, so ti looks wonky.

So, I see three choices:

1. Leave it like it, deal with the spam to keep the maximum about of dock-i-tude

2. Choose one of the stock ports and use that node (Probably regular Clamp-o-trons size1, since it also covers the shielded and spaceplane port.) Kind of leaning this direction.

3. Forget the stock ports and use a custom node, so my ports only dock with themselves. Require people to throw on other docking ports to dock to stock stations or whatever.

Thoughts?

hey Tib, "parts are not yet release they escape", i guess it might require some heavy side work on docking code/plugin side. (or fit @best the current code design)

Not followed the mod forum that much recently may be someone already undigged that a little bit worth a search.

Edited by WinkAllKerb''

So, I see three choices:

1. Leave it like it, deal with the spam to keep the maximum about of dock-i-tude

2. Choose one of the stock ports and use that node (Probably regular Clamp-o-trons size1, since it also covers the shielded and spaceplane port.) Kind of leaning this direction.

3. Forget the stock ports and use a custom node, so my ports only dock with themselves. Require people to throw on other docking ports to dock to stock stations or whatever.

Thoughts?

#1 is a definitely no-go - because of a) right-click spam, B) possible problems with some mods that add to docking and most importantly c) docking bug.

#2 is a good option, but rather dull, IMO.

#3 is also good - if you want to dock two different ports, make an adapter like the one used for ASTP.

Yeah I'll probably just make a new custom node, and maybe whip up an adapter for a regular clamp-o-tron.

Sigh, so many things to do.

I did get started on the fairings. Mostly, I should be able to make the others via scaling now. I think.

EjC1DvL.png

Today was playtesting day - flew a number of missions to a station and docked various combos, did EVAs and such - both Odin and Freyja are working quite nicely now.

Got a little more modeling and Unity work done though:

n8AqpEA.png

That's the Soyuz-style fairing so you can stack the Orb mod on top of Odin, with an adapter plate and an all new Escape Tower model. Another ancient model will be no more :D

For once an ancient model that I won't be sad to see going. The old escape tower was VERY meh. Oh, and make sure to actually include some solid fuel this time. Then we'll actually have an incentive to decouple the tower before reaching orbit, and you won't have to make the ASL isp 2000 :P

Heh you know that setup was suggested by someone in this thread way back - it was useful for some reason, heck if I remember why.

Flight testing today (I also made an Odin Dock -> Clamp-O-Tron adapter plate which works pretty slick)

Been assembling a new station, and had a quick family rendezvous a minute ago:

vqH2zZf.png

After I add another truss, I'll send up a white Odin and take a family picture. :)

@Tiberion: Good set of new parts, but I don't really understand what I can call "the lack of proper sorting" of some of them, example why Thor landing decoupler , LM-01 cage decoupler (and there is more decouplers in structural group) or the LM-0 support structure are in control group ? :huh:

Because they're all part of the same craft - those are all parts for the Thor lander. If they were all spread out you'd never know to use those parts together. I used to toss them all in science. But then science happened.

It's a stopgap measure until the long promised and anticipated subcategories

Because they're all part of the same craft - those are all parts for the Thor lander. If they were all spread out you'd never know to use those parts together. I used to toss them all in science. But then science happened.

It's a stopgap measure until the long promised and anticipated subcategories

ok, another way to do it is a "separate directory": Thor, putting all related parts together, so with tools like Simple Part Organizer, user can choose "Thor" and have all parts of the Thor lander and nothing else.

The drawback is NP will be split into two parts set :(. Or not really if you have NP archive holding GameData/NP and GameData/Thor.

(As plug-in can do serious changes to lot's of things (Editor Extension, AG extender, bigger VAB/SPH, ... , is there any way to add these subcat right now ?)

By the way, your landing gears are static, even folded one(s). Is this because they are WIP and you'll do them later ?

they're not static, its just that the mouse-click menus are broken on older-style legs like that. Hit G, or add them to an action group and they still work. I will redo them at some point, yes.

Thor is already in a subfolder (GameData/NovaPunch/Parts/Thor/All-The-Thor-subfolders)

There have been various mods and plugins that altered the VAB but I don't keep up with all of them.

I have thus far kept Novapunch "parts only" without requiring any third party code because its a pain to support and troubleshoot.

Thor itself is due for an overhaul after Odin (and a Shuttle mod update) and there should be less parts resulting from that, which will help.

Working ModuleLandingLeg configs for Thor landing struts, anyone? Those are completely defunct for now - not a single animation module in .cgf.

I believe it should be "Foot" for wheelColliderName, but what about suspension?

It doesn't work like that, the models themselves don't have the right objects in them to set up a ModuleLandingLeg - I'll have to do that in Unity - its been said that the module doesn't work well for legs with no suspension, but I'll try it out.

They still work as is, to a certain extent - the "gear" button on the altimeter doesnt work, nor does right clicking on the part to toggle them, but hitting the Gear hotkey "G" does work, as does setting up an action group (add them to the Gear group and the button will work)

Working on those soon probably. The last few days ahve been lightly active, but I have fixed the parachutes so they animate right now, and added 2 new ones.

6XfAU8c.png

Hey Tiberion, maybe you should consider adding some wear and tear around the edges? Currently, the textures do look a bit uniform. Also, I can't quite put my finger on it, but on the New Odin, the surface is tiled. I don't really like that for some reason. Maybe the tiles are too small, with too little variation over the pod? I think that could be it. There's not enough variation on the pod.

It's hard to see in the screens, but there is some weathering in the texture itself - its obvious because I'm not a huge fan of that look, and I am terrible at doing it. I'm pretty happy with how it came out, maybe I'll revisit it when there is less stuff ahead to work on.

Today I worked on the fairings some more, trying to get the ejection working just right. Its not pefect, but it works now.

Pretty close to testing all of this I think. I'm gonna do some work on a landing leg to see how much work there is to fix those and whether to finish them before releasing.

Yeah, I kinda guessed so regarding the weathering. It doesn't quite fit in NovaPunch, same as it doesn't fit in KW but does fit in stock. But there's still something that's nagging me with those tiles on the Odin, but it's hard to say what exactly. Oh well, I'll just wait and see how it looks in-game when you release it.

I'm gonna do some work on a landing leg to see how much work there is to fix those and whether to finish them before releasing.

They actually do work... partly... When using ModuleLandingLeg like in AIES (without adding suspension) deployment animation plays as intended, but retraction just triggers the legs position instantly. Same problem was discussed on forum - it was something about missing colliders.

Well, now they'll work better - I was able to convert them to the new module with little effort. They're going to remain static legs (IE no suspension, but animated) but they work properly with tweakables, the menus, and hotkeys.

RLKfSzW.png

I decided not to convert the top set in this picture, those things are old and horrible and its time for them to go away. We'll replace them with something else if we need to, but for now I'll probably just make a third set of the "new legs" that are larger, maybe without the black case (that version being specific to go on the Thor lander)

So tomorrow I'll probably do a clean install and do final flight tests and checks and then release a beta version (of the whole mod, including part removals, since there are a lot of things changing up this time)

Well, now they'll work better - I was able to convert them to the new module with little effort. They're going to remain static legs (IE no suspension, but animated) but they work properly with tweakables, the menus, and hotkeys.

http://i.imgur.com/RLKfSzW.png

I decided not to convert the top set in this picture, those things are old and horrible and its time for them to go away. We'll replace them with something else if we need to, but for now I'll probably just make a third set of the "new legs" that are larger, maybe without the black case (that version being specific to go on the Thor lander)

So tomorrow I'll probably do a clean install and do final flight tests and checks and then release a beta version (of the whole mod, including part removals, since there are a lot of things changing up this time)

Well that sounds great! I really like the way that you've done the New Odin with the Orbital Module placed below the pod during ascent. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Okay then, it feels like I tweaked and built a million things today, but here we are:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46506740/NovaPunch2_05Beta1.zip

Changelog for 2.05

------------------------

Beta release #1

---------------

Parts Removed:

Odin OTV Pod, Trunk, RCS Flightpack, landing leg, stack parachute

3.125m "4x" fairing pieces, including plates and adapters

Old-style stack parachutes

The oldest Thor landing strut

Both old Launch Escape Towers

Parts updated:

All remaining animated landing legs now function fully

All remaining parachutes now function fully.

The old radial chute by Capt Slug is now a drogue chute

The Freyja pod was remodeled

The Freyja trunk now has separate engines you must attach manually (and its texture was tweaked)\

The Freyja RCS/Docking port has a new docking model to match the new NP docking interface.

Parts added:

Odin OTV 2.0 - New pod, heat shield with powered landing engines, landing legs for powered landing, trunk section with fuel and engine attachments (uses 2 Freyja engines), RCS and Docking part for the NP docking interface.

New Soyuz/Shenzou style Orbital module to fly in tandem with Odin (if desired)

New docking port part (1.25m interface) and a 2nd part to go from NP docking interface to stock standard Clamp-o-tron interface

New LES tower (in 2 sizes)

New craft fairings made specifically for a craft construct; Odin OTV w/trunk, Odin OTV w/ trunk and orbital module (2 versions) and Odin + Thor package fairings, as well as a decoupler to use the Odin pod without the separate heatshield part.

New Radial and stack parachutes

Probably more things I have forgotten, please remind me.

Also rebuilt all the craft files.

Added some new flags (some parts have flag decals on them now, which display the mission flag you select. Remember that you can right click the part to toggle the flag visiability via tweakables.

Tons of things to try and break and inspect and whatever. This is a BETA RELEASE so don't use it if you're at all worried about losing your savegame that includes Novapunch parts. There are a few old parts gone as you can see, and others tweaked, so you may need to remove some flights or saved crafts. or start clean. It's highly recommended you end up with a clean install of the Novapunch2 folder though, to remove VAB clutter and reduce memory usage of the defunct parts..

So.. good luck!

9CCSHxl.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.