[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

The Odin/Thor faring is actually 3.125m (Odin is a 2.5m pod) - I didn't make a 3rd stage because going smaller than 2.5m seemed like a waste of effort, and you can already make a 3rd stage out of the 2.5m NP parts.

If I was really going to make a 3rd stage, it'd be for the bottom probably, a 5 to 6.something meter stage but that would requite a single purpose engine, so I don't plan on it.

re: flames - I wish I could, but the new stock FX system is.. limited. Perhaps due to bugs, or just not being finished. I can't resize the size of the plumes via config or even move where they spawn, the only thing I can do is choose which of the new flames and smoke to use, and place a smokePoint object in the engine model to set the exact FX spawn point. The purple one is the only one small enough to fit these smaller nozzles. I use the other flames on the new K2 engines, though.

From what I understand, creating new FX using the stock system is mind-numbing, so it would be a matter using one of the new FX plugin mods to create them... and HotRockets already has new NP Fx so it's probably better just to use those if you need super-awesome FX. We'll see how it develops.

Btw biohazard, the existing NP adapters already have fuel in them, don't know if you knew that. :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46506740/NP_EngineTestApril1.zip

Test version of the new/updates parts. 4 engines, 2 tanks. Delete the current versions of the folders inside of "Engines" since the model/texture names have changed.

Need feedback on their stats as well as any bugs I missed.

Edit: dropbox seems to have ate the file the 1st time, if you already started the download, grab it again.

Edited by Tiberion

Both K-2X: no problems, exhaust effects are gorgeous :D The only problem is that engines look too "small" when compared to their stats (that's just my visual perception)

Single engine: would be a great alternative to KW Wildcat-XR and a good upper stage to stock KR-2L

Cluster: looks like it got slightly tweaked Matriarch stats. It would be a good all-around 5m engine, and a strong competitor to KW Griffon XX.

Fuel tanks: all good here, except naming (3.75-25 tank is named "1s stage tank")

New Matriarch: main competitor to K-2X cluster with such stats (and I'm not sure this is good or bad). It would be interesting to put it between cluster and Bearcat - 5m tier lacks intermediate (7000-7500 kN) engine.

Smoke effects on Little Mother and Matriarch is slightly offset (BTW, no noticeable slowdowns on Matriarch):

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Also, it would be nice to have a "Block V" for K1 - 2.5m - 1.25m K1 tank and a corresponding 2.5m engine (the 4-engine core section of the Matriarch). Would be useful for a probe or 1.25m pod launchers, and mixing old white 2.5m parts with new silver tanks just doesn't looks good.

the existing NP adapters already have fuel in them, don't know if you knew that.

I know that :) I meant stock adapters and some interstage adapters from mods (namely KW).

Alright, already fixed the smokeFX here; I just changed the localoffset in the smoke block from 0, 0, 1 to 0, 1, 1 in both engines. (weirdly enough, offset works for smoke, but not flames. Sigh.) Also fixed spelling error.

The 5m K2X is already pretty much on par with the XX (5000 vs 4900, same TWR, slightly different Isp)

I'll try the 3.75m K2 with 1300 instead of 1600 and keep the TWR intact, then play with the Isp to make it feel right. It needs to be a pretty good VAC engine (on SatV it powered the Earth Departure burn)

Edit: Re: Matriarch - if I turn the thrust up to around 7k it burns through the K1 1st stage in 30 seconds and about 6-7k altitude, even setting the Isp way too high. I think it'll have to stay around 4k and be the medium lifting engine. I have a plan for a 7k-range 5m engine, but more on that later.

Edited by Tiberion

@Tiberion Got a couple of bug's in the test engines and tanks fixed 1 and just a FYI the hotrockets as a cfg for novapunch in it now that was 1 bug and at a stage screen everything on screen blinks out and when 2nd stage fire off everything comes back but error are spamming https://www.dropbox.com/s/az51lchpdcnu9pp/screenshot6.png <-- try'ed to get it with screen bug https://www.dropbox.com/s/93y8sk6hact3tb5/screenshot0.png --- https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vkqadfl4g7x31i/screenshot4.png<-- with hotrocket NP.cfg installed fixed https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q7dprhrweryo3b/screenshot8.png

EDIT thats the first test download, I seen is there a 2nd now ?

EDIT 2 and also like the FX you have over the HotRocket 1

Edit 3 screenshot 6 https://www.dropbox.com/s/az51lchpdcnu9pp/screenshot6.png <-- had the hotrocket np.cfg installed you can still see the stage dropped still show's fire and the kerbal's screen just came back on there that is hard to get a shot of the screen blinking out and back on.

Edit 4 screenshot 0 was a hotrocket np.cfg file still in then remember that hotrocket had a np.cfg

Edit 4 screenshot 8 thats what is spamming the log no hotrocket np.cfg in but may need to make a cfg for ActiveTextureManagement may fix it now that, I think of it will try.

Edited by Mecripp2

No, no 2nd test version yet, just fixed the bugs here locally.

I really didn't understand what you were trying to say or show me otherwise. Can you split up your pictures and describe the bugs with some detail?

@Tiberion: I think that single K2 is good as it is - if your payload is reasonable, it can deliver it to Mun or Minmus, or give it a boost to escape velocity (anything beyond that is NERVA's prerogative). You should be careful with thrust and Isp tweaking - or it could end as 3.75m Vesta VR-1 (1.25m super-engine from KW)

7k thrust engine - I'm already hyped :D I hope it will be a "strict" 5m engine - so it could be used on side boosters (Bearcat's shape cause explosions duing separation, and Matriarch is underpowered for my 300+ ton payload launchers. 7k would be about right)

Nice. The N1 was pretty much the only part of SundayPunch not originally in NP. Glad to see it back, in a fashion. :) It'd be nice to have 2.5m to 1.875m, for HGR, but I think I could rig something up with some clever fairing attachment and the stage that tapers to 1.25m.

It's normal - download the engine test pack from a few pages ago, it has some new engines and updated FX for those 2 "ring" engines. Check and see if your performance is reduced any by the additional flames

It's normal - download the engine test pack from a few pages ago, it has some new engines and updated FX for those 2 "ring" engines. Check and see if your performance is reduced any by the additional flames

Thank I will try them as soon as I can and let you know.

Can I use my old reduced textures for the Matriarch and the Little Mother or no?

Hey, just wanted to let you know -- In the latest version, landing legs do not lower. Kinda hurts, getting all the way to where I need to go, and... no lowering of the ever-so-awesome-and-not-explody-the-ship legs :P

Ended up having to use Mechjeb to land this mission at <0.2 m/s so it wouldn't go kaboom

Err, which landing leg(s)? There are 5 animated legs in the pack (and 2 static struts that don't animate)

They all work here (I just hit the G key once):

QaPT2Ie.png

so it's probably a plugin conflict or something.

biohazard: I have been heads-down working on a bunch of stuff, I'll post an update about that later and release another test version tonight or tomorrow. There will be a lot to test.

I've also had an issue with landing legs not lowering. When I brought the debug log up, it said something about null reference. After a couple of alt-tabs and searching for this problem in this thread, however, legs magically worked again (after replacing them a few times)... Riddle me this. :\

Alright, so.. here is what I have been working on

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Recap:

Replacement Solid Boosters for most of the SRBs in the pack (not the vernier/ullage motors) - 2, 3 and 4 segment versions.

Replacement Radial Liquid Booster

New "SLS" engine sized 5m with 7500 thrust

New Advanced Liquid Booster sizes 2.5m with 4000 thrust per

New "Soyuz" radial booster (2.5m at the base)

2 new styles of nosecones.

Add those to the new parts from the previous test version (from a few pages ago)

"K1" tapered fuel tanks to replcate the soviet N-1 rocket style of launch (3 stages, with tweaked 'Mother' series of engines to compliment)

New K2-X engines in 3.75m and 5m sizes to replicate some Saturn V functionality.

So lots to test. I'll be putting together a test pack of all these new parts - sure to be some bugs, typos, and balance issues.

Alright, so.. here is what I have been working on

http://imgur.com/a/FMwmj

Recap:

Replacement Solid Boosters for most of the SRBs in the pack (not the vernier/ullage motors) - 2, 3 and 4 segment versions.

Replacement Radial Liquid Booster

New "SLS" engine sized 5m with 7500 thrust

New Advanced Liquid Booster sizes 2.5m with 4000 thrust per

New "Soyuz" radial booster (2.5m at the base)

2 new styles of nosecones.

Add those to the new parts from the previous test version (from a few pages ago)

"K1" tapered fuel tanks to replcate the soviet N-1 rocket style of launch (3 stages, with tweaked 'Mother' series of engines to compliment)

New K2-X engines in 3.75m and 5m sizes to replicate some Saturn V functionality.

So lots to test. I'll be putting together a test pack of all these new parts - sure to be some bugs, typos, and balance issues.

I like how NovaPunch has been at a standstill for the last, like, 7-8 months (except for last month), and suddenly BAM! Awesome.

Yeah, had some scheduling issues and frizzank got totally swamped, and I am certainly not going to be the one who interferes with the awesomeness that is FASA. Though I was working on Tiberdyne during that time, and I re-used some of those assets here, so I was sort of working on NP :)

I think the weird VAB lighting is causing that, but I tweaked it a little.

Here's Testpack #2: https://db.tt/S2dcIiyv

It's the files from #1 (with fixes) plus the new stuff, so you'll need the last NP release installed first. If you didn't install #1 then be sure to read the directions (you need to remove the old versions of included folders inside the "Engines" folder)

@Tiberion Great job love the new stuff, how can, I fix the bug smoking on the 2nd stage at the launch pad and in flight and the FX on RMA-3 awesome.

EDIT I most have a cfg some where with those engines to add coolrockets and they where run all the time took out coolrockets fix it and mean, I really liked the FX on the RMA-3 not that there was a problem there just cool FX thats all.

Edited by Mecripp2

Is there away to make all engines look like the RMA-3 FX when out of atmosphere ? And need to note that anyone using HotRockets needs zip up or edit the np_hotrockets.cfg that comes with HotRockets or it doubles the FX on some of the engines.

Edit Like the smoke stops at set ALT can we make a cfg the makes the FX change at set ALT ?

Edited by Mecripp2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.