High and low tide?

I've late lately been considering the role of water in the game, and Infinite dice's Boat Parts mod is possibly the best put together pack here (or will be once he patches it for 0.21)

Thus, I've been considering how difficult would it be to implement a Mun influenced tide? Aside from the difficulties of varying the sea level right across the globe, how would it effect floating vessels? Could it be exploited to generate power and launch large ships?

Consensus appears to be far too much work and CPU strain for too little real benefit. It'll be interesting to see where we are in a few years when Squad get round to sorting the oceans.

Isn't the ocean just a sphere overlaying the shape of the surface terrain proper? I assume changing it shape by adding bulges that rotate at the same rate as the Mun wouldn't be too difficult. The question is though why bother? It doesn't add anything to gameplay really, not until actual boat functionality gets added (which I assume is a very low priority). I rather see wind and other weather which would affect flight rather than something which is quite frankly pointless.

transform matrix != translation matrix. theres a difference. a transform matrix is just a matrix that lets you transform a vector. it can be a rotation or a translation, etc, or a bunch of transformations rolled into one matrix, but the specific transformation you want for this is scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transform_matrix

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.