Set action groups midflight

Well, I guess the title is kinda self-explanatory. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to reset your action groups and reassign them midflight? Especially when you're building space stations, you can very easily mix up your action groups and happen to have one of your precious escape pods shoot off when all you ment to do was to extract your solar panels.

I would like this too. You can alter staging lists mid-flight (although it's broken if you've docked and undocked and re-docked then what you edit the list to do ends up not being what it really does (i.e. you hit spacebar and it executes a stage somewhere in the middle of the list instead of at the bottom of it.))

If you can alter staging then why not action groups?

• 5 weeks later...

I also had this idea. Not sure what would be better, being able to change this in-flight, or maybe in the tracking station.

Since in-flight you would have the advantage that you are already looking at the ship, however it might be rotating, which might make it harder to select parts. But in the action-group mode you could also lock the orientation of the camera to the ship, just like chasecam.

But managing action groups in the tracking station would also be a possibility I think. I do think that it would be useful to see a model of the vessel when selecting it in the tracking station (might also prevent loading the wrong one). And this way you can manage all your vessels from the same spot.

PS: not sure if anyone has already made a post/request for this, but since it is very small, I thought I would added here as well: adding resources levels in the info bar (on the wiki it is called Knowledge Base) so liquid fuel, oxidizer, electricity, monopropellent, xenon gas. Since this can also be viewed in the tracking station, so this would allow you to find vessels which need refueling very quickly.

• 7 months later...

I would super love this feature... especially that each time the game updates, sometimes it seems to override my action groups I already set for my projects in orbit or on the mun. Would be nice to have an "in mission" action group editor. :)

• 10 months later...

This is an absolutly must... as connecting two ships with different action groups... I don't know what good maybe getting out from that.

But hey: why don't we have at least an "infodrive" when we can see (at least) the setup in flight?

If it would be tweakable that's better.

Also more actiongroups should be good even with a actiongroupbar system where you can create and change as many "current" 10 favourite actiongroup functions. Just like in WOW for example...

Edited by Ricardo79

There are several sunk topic in this theme (low number of action groups, etc.), and usually a simple part rebalancing (Avarage Joe corrects it in 2 minutes) makes greater interest. I'd started once one too (about how to increase the number and keep the name after docking). So my finger is up, and maybe we will hear some promise about this the from the developers for the 1.92 update...

• 2 months later...
Yep, I'd love this feature to be in the stock game. It would make spacecraft prototyping less painful given the loading times between the VAB and launch pad.

This and this alone is the reason I'd like to have in-flight action group configuration.

Could we also get a debug menu cheat where we can edit fuel levels, light colors, stuff like that?

Should be buildable in-flight, for when you dock to another craft and everything gets messed up. But it would be better if the nature of action groups were changed so that wasn't an issue at all. Here's how you solve that:

Action groups are stored not with the craft/vessel, but with the control part. Then the game wouldn't care whether you docked to another ship, as long as you control from a particular probe/capsule/etc. you get the actions assigned to that part. And when you undock, the action groups are still there. Also, you could have more than 10 action groups spread amongst several control parts.

To make this work, you'd need:

1) again, action groups assignable in the flight scene (this suggestion). You'd still need this, because as you un-dock or decouple groups of parts, the actions from them would probably still go away, and as you dock up, you still may want to assign new actions to your groups.

2) action groups show up in the RMB menu of these parts. Obviously, this is where the "edit groups" actions would be found. But also, you should be able to run an action group from this menu as well.

3) ability to name action groups, for bookkeeping purposes. That way, coming back to a long mission after playing others in the meantime, I won't have to simply remember that "toggle torque on capsule" is action 01, but "transmit all the science I'm supposed to be returning" is action 02. Just as an example. <.< >.>

4) ability to name PARTS, for bookkeeping purposes. Not as useful as naming the action groups themselves, but it might be helpful in keeping track while you set up.

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.