Update maneuver planner for more ease-of-use during interplanetary transfers

I was planning a burn for Duna when I realized that the maneuver planner is not fully capable for this sort of thing. You have to zoom out to the point where Kerbin (and your flight path) are next to invisible in order to see any other planet, so fine-tuning the escape burn is maddening - at least, this has been my experience. If you veterans have another perspective, I'd love to hear it. Maybe there's a mod for this I should use?

To improve this, I suggest that a large analog of your flight path (visible from any scale) is superimposed over Kerbin's location when you are using the maneuver planner while zoomed far out. This would help users like myself to optimize these burns. Another benefit is that Kerbin's pro- and retro-grade vectors are easily seen at these scales.

I feel these changes may help make the maneuver planner even more robust than it is. If there is something I'm missing that would make this issue irrelevant, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
The manuever nodes need keybindings:

w/s prograde vs retrograde burn

a/d inward vs outward burn

q/e up vs down burn

h/k move the node forward backwards along the current path.

That's an AWESOME idea!!!!

+100!

The manuever nodes need keybindings:

w/s prograde vs retrograde burn

a/d inward vs outward burn

q/e up vs down burn

h/k move the node forward backwards along the current path.

Lets expand on this...

Have a slider,*or text-input field* for controlling the rate at which the node is manipulated, much like how the click drag functionality works, but with a LOT more precision. I ALWAYS overshoot or undershoot by a SMALL degree with the way it works, and I find myself fiddling with the final orbit trying to get a perfect orbit*85,000Ap, 85,000 Pe, NaN*for several minutes, and occasionally miss my window for it because i was trying to get that darned manuver node right where i wanted it.

Also, Make it like rover controls, separate keybindings from the axis controls*ie i could bind it to numpad 8,2,4,6;9,3. *check those keys on your keyboard, and you will see why these are ideal*

Edited by Zaeo

Combined with persistent nodes (which would be a great thing to have, especially when creating multiple flights in a launch window. Of course would be nice if those didn't lose their intercepts too), a selection window for nodes becomes an option.

That way you no longer have to zoom in to click a node, click it in the list instead and it becomes the active node for editing.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking of suggesting something similar so I'll just add to this thread.

I like the keybinding idea a lot, and I like the PIP idea as well. The PIP would make it possible to manipulate the node while seeing the target, but it can sometimes be hard to set the focus on the target when it's far away. Once the control node is created it's possible to change the focus to the control node using tab, but the area of interest often lies halfway around the solar system. I can change the focus to the planet I'm trying to reach, but it isn't where I'm going to rendezvous yet. It would be useful if I could also tab select to a distant encounter (or the predicted periapsis of the encounter) when planning a Hohmann transfer so I could fine tune the node more precisely.

I was thinking of suggesting something similar so I'll just add to this thread.

I like the keybinding idea a lot, and I like the PIP idea as well. The PIP would make it possible to manipulate the node while seeing the target, but it can sometimes be hard to set the focus on the target when it's far away. Once the control node is created it's possible to change the focus to the control node using tab, but the area of interest often lies halfway around the solar system. I can change the focus to the planet I'm trying to reach, but it isn't where I'm going to rendezvous yet. It would be useful if I could also tab select to a distant encounter (or the predicted periapsis of the encounter) when planning a Hohmann transfer so I could fine tune the node more precisely.

Here Sir, take my Like.

• 4 weeks later...

I think a simple fix would be a google maps type zoom, where you zoom in on the spot you're mosuing over with the scroll wheel.

Once zoomed in we could have a small separate window for maneuver node editing (also, PreciseNode does this http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/47863-0-21-PreciseNode-0-31-Interplanetary-Maneuver-Node-Assistant?highlight=precisenode). Well, kind of. It'd be nice if it was an actual animation.

You don't need to make the trip all in one burn. You'll probably save fuel if you adjust your trajectory after leaving Kerbin's SOI anyway.

That's the exact opposite of true. The closer to initial launch you make your transfer adjustment the less delta-V it takes.

• 4 weeks later...

Have there been any discussions about adding the ability to click and drag to re-position a maneuver along the orbital path? I find it frustrating having to start over each time I want to refine the ejection angle.

Have there been any discussions about adding the ability to click and drag to re-position a maneuver along the orbital path? I find it frustrating having to start over each time I want to refine the ejection angle.

Uhm. Doesn't this already exist?

• 8 months later...

MechJeb's manœuvre node editor is pretty useful and doesn't break 'player agency', you get a little dialog and can edit the components of the burn. Sometimes it's awkward to drag the current nodes around without accidentally dragging a direction :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.