Open Source Construction Techniques for Craft Aesthetics

1) Clipping control surfaces can help reduce the clutter of things and make them more controllable!!!

2) Clipping solar panels into the wings helps make it look better (and they still work).

Here's a little something I tossed up yesterday which illustrates it well (mini ion drones with integrated vertical take off system for the win :D). It is meant to seamlessly blend into the fuselage of an exploration SSTO I'm going to make.

YuBlMkl.png

VGYr045.png

QiQK1mq.png

Design idea for anyone who wants to give it a try: the new O-10 Monopropellant engine has a pretty low mass (0.09) and an interesting looking structure -- it may be useful as a structural part for aesthetic purposes.

Edited by GusTurbo

1) Clipping control surfaces can help reduce the clutter of things and make them more controllable!!!

2) Clipping solar panels into the wings helps make it look better (and they still work).

Here's a little something I tossed up yesterday which illustrates it well (mini ion drones with integrated vertical take off system for the win :D). It is meant to seamlessly blend into the fuselage of an exploration SSTO I'm going to make.

http://i.imgur.com/YuBlMkl.png

If I wasn't on a video game hiatus, I'd try building that myself.

hBoBymT.png

Hey ho! I would like to join you guys' date=' but how do I?

I've read all the designs you guys have posted and I have a ton of ideas... could I join?[/quote']

Everybody willing to share stock construction techniques is welcome here :) the thread is meant for that :)

If you have clipping on, and want a more powerful monopropellant engine, you can clip the O-10 engines on the bottom of something and if you angle them correctly, it will look like one bigger engine, like so:

KReGXrx.png

Design idea for anyone who wants to give it a try: the new O-10 Monopropellant engine has a pretty low mass (0.09) and an interesting looking structure -- it may be useful as a structural part for aesthetic purposes.

Maybe not the way you think how it would be used or in this case didn't used but 180° turned it provides a core for cool thinks.

at the moment [WIP]

stock near future energy core/generator subassemblie

part count: 36

here you can hopefully see the low backligthing from a hidden headlight to generate a little glow effect

212uzqr.jpg

Dynamic indicator for energy consumption

low throttle / low energy consumption

2sblwdg.png

full throttle / high energy consumption

2zrg96o.png

Ignition system:

Just as real life rockets that need help to ignite its liquid fuel engines, I made a cool subassembly that adds that FX before taking off:

Edit: Images are lost :/

Instructions:

1. Place LV T-30 exhaust pointing at the rocket engines.

2. Space bar to ignite those engines

3.Throttle up and press X several times

4. Space bar to Ignite rocket engines.

5. Throtle at maximun

6. Space bar to release clamps and lift off

Edited by Hydrazine_Soup

Stock cargo bay

I want to show you mine cargo bay, with a tutorial, how to build it. Enjoy!

You can use it in your crafts, but please, post a link to my video, when you're posting craft using my cargo bay on KSP forum/reddit/steam.

Wait a second I stole... ugh... lent this techology from Rune!

My attempt of a cargo bay,

Download .CRAFT

early wip, based on vaganis suspension design. now i try to make it smaller

http://i58.tinypic.com/11bj70m.png

http://i62.tinypic.com/2md552.png

http://i61.tinypic.com/vp7wqp.png

That's something I never thought my suspension would be for, awesome, gj 9t3ndo very innovative design.

So he stole it from me. I post prototype of cargo bay door in april. About 3-4 days after 0.23.5 was released.

...and someone will soon post the first stock helicopter. :rolleyes: Klaws as hinges have been talked about since there are Klaws. And the first thing I saw using a pylon as hinge was in 0.19, I think.

Rune. Just have fun with the game, would you? I hate people calling firsts and "I did this earlier".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.