Open Source Construction Techniques for Craft Aesthetics

That was a nice read o-doc :) just a question though - do you have a rule of thumb regarding the number of wing parts needed relatively to weight to get a correct lift - or do you do this by trial & error during the flying pancake phase ? :)

For stock aero, my personal rules of thumb for air/space planes are:

- 1 TurboJet per 12 tons (no more than 15 tons)

- 3 intakes per TurboJet

- 100 to 150 units of liquid fuel per TurboJet (less as you get more comfortable with the design)

- 0.5 lift rating per ton (no more than 1.0 lift rating per ton)

These rules of thumb are sort of a sliding scale. If you increase in one area, you can decrease in another. So if you have less weight per TurboJet, you can get away with less lift rating, fuel, or intakes. So you can make some trade offs that work for your design. Also, this assumes an ascent profile that relatively mirrors flying at terminal velocity all the way up.

If you want to know what these Rules of Thumb are based on, let me know. They were developed after much testing and trial/error.

Cheers,

~Claw

Public Service Announcement

hjw8Hgel.png?1

There's a new way to display your designs! It's a plugin called KronalUtils. It allows you to take orthographic shots of your craft in the VAB/SPH. Development of the plugin has been discontinued by its creator, but the license would allow anyone to pick it up and run with it. Here's a link:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75554-Exploded-ship-view-Axes-on-the-VAB-other-stuff-now-released-into-public-domain

Important Note:

The "Screenshot" button in this plugin places a single screenshot in the KSP_Data folder, which overwrites the last one you took.

Edited by GusTurbo

That's the tricky part that I forgot to mention! It puts a single screenshot in the KSP_Data folder, which overwrites the last one you took. It's poor design for sure, but one that someone could fix. See if you can find it there.

okay, i have a guide for building interstage rings (like the one between the first stage and the second stage of the Saturn V) for those interested :)

in real life, those work like this : first stage separation, and ignition of the ullage SRB's placed around the interstage ring. while the ullage SRB's are burning, ignition of the upper stage engines (which are active from the inside of the ring - in KSP, an engine can't get thrust through a decoupler attached below it - even if the 'flame effect' is visible) - once ullage SRB's are exhausted, the ullage ring can be dropped at any time - it will drop around the burning engines (it will not disturb them, their thrust, if it hits the ring, will simply push it away)

here's the commented way to reproduce that in KSP :

Javascript is disabled. View full album

here's the .craft file if you want to see how it works / how it's built.

http://www./view/sse77ou7pwkttra/Interstage_Ring_test_rocket.craft

if you want to directly take the interstage ring (hint, remove the lower stage, select the first cubic strut on the upper stage, and save it away as a subassembly if you wish :)

NODE CREATION

Simple node:

Make an L using the structural parts connecting the docking port on.

Connect the container to one side of the L.

Adjust the position changing the distance above the framework L.

Use cables to increase structural stability.

Structures: http://i.imgur.com/sKcChpK.jpg

Result: http://i.imgur.com/6UWsBvB.jpg

Double node:

After creating a simple node, you will need to put a structure of the same type superimposing the structure of simple node.

The structure will connect with the node's left of the first structure and create another on the other side.

Hold the other structure the edge (top left) so you can superimpose them this way: http://i.imgur.com/ZZ9Fq2V.jpg

Move a bit the new structure until you get to that they are one above the other: http://i.imgur.com/GDlamG8.jpg

Then place the part.

The placement may be invalid, if this happens just move it and get it to stick to other nodes, then move it back to where you want and try again.

(That is, keep trying again and again wildly until it's valid, that works, and you don't need part clipping on)

With the piece placed within the node, it will create a new one exactly where the container node was.

Then you can put something on that node normally: http://i.imgur.com/YVTXLH5.jpg

Result: http://i.imgur.com/iOxj9Xs.jpg

It is highly recommended to use structural cables.

This technique can be used with any part that has a node, but I do not recommend using it with large pieces.

You can create two overlapping nodes and move them where you want on the ship, allowing exotic mounts.

Just need to try a bit to select the structure that moves the entire set, just undo it when you pick the wrong part with CTRL + Z

I don't quite see the point. Couldn't you just surface-attach the docking port? And if you gave up on convincing the game to allow you to part-clip without turning the "cheat" on, then you wouldn't need to surface-attach another structural piece to free up an attachment node (though you would break fuel flow by using one twice, mind you).

Rune. Never quite understood the "anti-part-clipping-on that clip like crazy relying on bugs" crowd. But YMMV, of course.

I don't quite see the point. Couldn't you just surface-attach the docking port? And if you gave up on convincing the game to allow you to part-clip without turning the "cheat" on, then you wouldn't need to surface-attach another structural piece to free up an attachment node (though you would break fuel flow by using one twice, mind you).

Rune. Never quite understood the "anti-part-clipping-on that clip like crazy relying on bugs" crowd. But YMMV, of course.

Not all parts allow you to place them radially, the one on the example pics don't.

There is a difference between enabling part cliping and doing this, it is impossible to atach two pieces to a single node without part-clip.

If there are people who will refuse to enable part-cliping, methods to go around it are valid.

Here's how to build a nice-looking rover in the VAB.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

From left to right:

Step 1: Put 2 beams in 2-symmetry mode

Step 2: Use the I-beam as a wheel axle (Has to be in 1-symmetry mode!)

Step 3: Attach the wheels in 2-symmetry mode to the beam

Step 4: Grab the beam and use 2-symmetry mode and attach it like the next 2 pictures show.

Step 5: *pic*

Step 6: *pic*

Step 7: Build a skycrane

Step 8: Rotate the whole thing (use Shift-left click if you can't find the rover's probe) and attach a docking port or a probe to avoid being annoyed by the reverse steering. Just right-click on the port/probe on the launch pad and select "Control from here"

Don't forget to strut the whole craft so it doesn't wobble itself apart.

Edited by Veeltch

If you make a column of cubic struts where your landing gear connects, you'll be able to extend the effect (basically, once 'compressed' the landing gear will try to push on the first cubic strut, then the second, and so on)

Edit:

That's the same technique i used on my k-29's bomb bay if you want to check out (if you can get past the engines ^^)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92798-K-29B-bomber-Y-38-fighter-%28stock-props%29

This method with using cubic struts to extend landing gears pushing effect is not my creation :) others created it :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

Ok get an octagonal cubic strut then put a Fl-A5 adapter and put on top of it; now turn symmetry on to eight times and place some of the solar panels on it (not the ones that can extend) then place another in the centerfielder with 2 times symmetry or higher. I used that on one of my rovers.

sGreifu

wDK6Z65.jpg

I hate links not working

Edited by LABHOUSE

GOOD SHOW BY GEORGE that's clever.

To be honest I avoid putting cant into engine angles because it results in a net waste of thrust compressing the structure. But as you prove, it just looks so cool.

Whoops. Didn't understand the first time i read it. I try to avoid that too. Especially on spaceplanes. Engines on the picture only look angled because of the parts sorrounding them. It's not perfectly aligned, but it does the job.

I will be posting soon-ish a way to check center of mass on asymetrical crafts.

Edited by Veeltch
Misunderstood the meaning of the post

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.