Open Source Construction Techniques for Craft Aesthetics

Nice, but what can it be used for?

Usage #1:

Usage #2:

Uses for Rings - orbital bases or interplanetary ships with "artificial gravity".

Uses for Cylinders - O'Neill's style habitats or orbital docks.

Spheres and domes: domed planetary bases, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Um, so I was messing around with my latest SSTO and noticed something. You know about those new sleek intakes? Well, you can also use them to hide landing gear if you use some clever placement.

oU7OU0r.png

It's really nice to have new ways to hide the ugly landing gear we've had since 0.15. Thinking about it, we really need new landing gear parts...

Create pontoons and boat hulls with the new structural intakes!

The structural intakes (like the old radial intakes) are very buoyant and impact-resistant on water. Using the following technique, you can create pontoons for seaplanes and boat hulls that look cool, rather than being an odd jumble of the ugly grey radial intakes.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

A quick boat I threw together:

TZqf7gS.png

Edited by GusTurbo

Create pontoons and boat hulls with the new structural intakes!

The structural intakes (like the old radial intakes) are very buoyant and impact-resistant on water. Using the following technique, you can create pontoons for seaplanes and boat hulls that look cool, rather than being an odd jumble of the ugly grey radial intakes.

http://imgur.com/a/vkH4o

A quick boat I threw together:

http://i.imgur.com/TZqf7gS.png

I was wondering about those! Time to rebuild my Sea bi-plane!

Thanks Gus.

MJ

• 3 weeks later...

You know those new stack intakes? Well, I found that by using a cubic strut (or enabling radial attachment for my fellow EE users) you can clip half of it into the fuselage for a more streamlined design. You can even rotate it or adjust its pitch, so it's a pretty customizable design tip, especially useful for replica designers.

Here's a quick design to illustrate my point:

fQIycRM.png

The part on the back is just a nose cone from Procedural Parts, but you can stick all sorts of stuff in there. Some extra fuel, a capsule, a satellite for extra SSTO science... you name it. Would love to see what you guys can come up with using this.

EDIT: Just noticed my rep thingy says I'm the reason many kerbal space programs are successful. cool! :D

Edited by astropapi1

You know those new stack intakes? Well, I found that by using a cubic strut (or enabling radial attachment for my fellow EE users) you can clip half of it into the fuselage for a more streamlined design. You can even rotate it or adjust its pitch, so it's a pretty customizable design tip, especially useful for replica designers.

Here's a quick design to illustrate my point:

http://i.imgur.com/fQIycRM.png

The part on the back is just a nose cone from Procedural Parts, but you can stick all sorts of stuff in there. Some extra fuel, a capsule, a satellite for extra SSTO science... you name it. Would love to see what you guys can come up with using this.

EDIT: Just noticed my rep thingy says I'm the reason many kerbal space programs are successful. cool! :D

Actually, you can do the same thing without the strut if you turn surface attachment on for the intake with Ed Tools. Well apparently I can't read, you already said that. But it IS a cool way to put them, which is why I used it on the new Dart. In fact, you can also do the back side with another, and get a bit more air that way:

c3zbG1T.png

Rune. I never know what to put here.

Edited by Rune

I have something that's good looking and practical, the wing strut. When you build a big plane, you need to strut the wings. A lot. That's when part count becomes a problem. I discovered something clever the other day.

screenshot204_zpsa3e29ad9.png

It's hard to see, but when you mouse over the white part of the wing, you can see it highlighted.

screenshot205_zps3ab12263.png

But on the black part, it's NOT highlighted, because as far as KSP is concerned, it's not really there! What does this mean?

screenshot206_zps32f66da8.png

You can hide a strut there! I'm not doing a good job, because this is for demonstration purposes. Strut the wingtips for best effect.

I have something that's good looking and practical, the wing strut. When you build a big plane, you need to strut the wings. A lot. That's when part count becomes a problem. I discovered something clever the other day.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah154/thebrisbymouse1982/screenshot204_zpsa3e29ad9.png

It's hard to see, but when you mouse over the white part of the wing, you can see it highlighted.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah154/thebrisbymouse1982/screenshot205_zps3ab12263.png

But on the black part, it's NOT highlighted, because as far as KSP is concerned, it's not really there! What does this mean?

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah154/thebrisbymouse1982/screenshot206_zps32f66da8.png

You can hide a strut there! I'm not doing a good job, because this is for demonstration purposes. Strut the wingtips for best effect.

Yup, the wings are so thick you can hide struts in them, nice for a clean look.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Its been a while since I posted anything here so today I would like to show my way of making a stock landing gear bay using the cargo bays.

You can place a cubic strut and then a cargo bay upside down on it. Then turn the cubic strut inwards pulling the cargo bay the correct way up and recessing it into the belly of the aircraft.

Then you add more either end where you want your wheels to be. As long as you place the wheels correctly they wont clip through the cargo bay doors.

Here are some pics and a vid to show it in action. Ignore the plane, its a rough build testbed.

2uztcu0.jpg

2aj81z6.jpg

2zojbdf.jpg

Not a bad way to get a nice smooth belly. Mmmmm.

MJ

"Shielded Fuel Tanks"

This is something I found out after crashing a space shuttle.

Hi4CTPw.png

(ignore the active engine in background)

So I came up with this:

dLapK80.png

NSXTeZc.png

TftdBTt.png

The engines are hidden inside a Clamp-O-Tron Shielded docking port. The engines can be fired whether the shield is open or not.

Hey all, I've uploaded the OSCTCA badge to the KSP wiki, so there shouldn't be any issues anymore with it becoming unavailable.

New link here: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/w/images/2/2b/OSCTCA_Mini.png

Fantastic!

I haven't been playing lots of KSP lately (really miss EE, man), so there's no tips coming from me any time soon. :/

EDIT: Uhm, it's giving me a 404. Just gonna use Giggleplex's link for now.

Edited by astropapi1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.