Best Demo Ship?

Hey guys,

So I've been playing the demo version of Kerbal Space Program recently (about 9 hours on record so far) as I have no money right now, but still haven't managed to reach the Mun. So I was wondering, what is the best / strongest / fastest ship that you have ever built in the demo version of Kerbal, with the limited amount of pieces that there are? Please try and include an image, but if not an explanation will do. :D

-Aidan.

The mighty Fireball 7 was first built in the 0.18 Demo...

screenshot27-png.6276

Going off of memory here, the Stage 2 engine is an LV-909, the Stage 4 engine (the centerline) is an FL-T45 that fires by itself, and the six outboard engines that fire in Stage 6 are FL-T30s. I was usually able to make the transmunar burn and munar orbital insertion on the Stage 4 engine, and usually didn't discard it until after the munar deorbit burn. The entire ship lands (in theory) and has enough juice to make it back to Kerbin (as long as there's still at least 80 fuel units in the tank on liftoff). You can right it with RCS if it tips over on landing (which happened a LOT...once I finally got landing down, that is).

I ultimately modded this design when I bought the full game. Replaced the TT-38Ks with TT-70s and widened the base of the lander section by replacing the FL-T400 with four FL-T200s. The result was my Apocalypse 7 craft, which became my standard Mun lander design and the basis for all other landers I've built to this point.

The Fireball's a newbie's design, obviously. But she gets the job done.

Edited by capi3101

It's been a while since I played the demo, so have just downloaded it and built a craft that I have just flown to the Mun and back. The first stage uses an additional set of 4 boosters arranged asparagus style to get in to Kerbin orbit. The second stage is good enough to get to the Mun, as well as perform the braking to establish Munar orbit and still have enough fuel to perform the initial descent burn for braking. The landing stage then has enough fuel to perform the final slowing down for landing as well as taking off again back in to orbit and transfer back to Kerbin. In fact on the flight I have just done, I would normally discard the fuel tank/engine/landing legs and bring the capsule down with the parachute, but I still had enough fuel left to bring the complete lander down to land on it's legs.

If you want to have a go, the craft can be downloaded here :- https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r1csry7cp9rgpo/Mun%20Lander.craft

Keep it simple. I don't know what parts are available in the demo but Temstar has a great set up ships which you can peek at for guidance:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/24787-0-19-1-Zenith-rocket-family

For my first Mun and Minimus trips I used the following (both are for probes but seemed to have plenty of dV to push a 1 Kerbal pod as well). The goal was to be conservative with the power (both are quite over powered). You can get to Mun without stacks, just using FL-T400 tanks.

This will get you to Mun. Second pic shows the probe. Engines are T30s on the boosters and a T45 on the core.

JqhXuAU.jpg

ibTepxa.jpg

This has the fuel to land and return from Minimus (note the asparagus staging):

cCIn7Gp.jpg

This can be built from demo parts and can land a working probe on Mun. It is the smallest and simplest design with all the feature you will need to reach orbit. With four solid fuel boosters, you can easily reach Mun orbit and land at your leisure using lateral thrusters for the final landing sequence.

Redstone Probe

Probe Stage;

1. Stayputnik

2. ASAS controller

3. 2 2100 battery packs placed on Stayputnik

3. Set of the four instruments placed on top of the ASAS Controller.

4. FL-R25 RCS Fuel Tank

5. Set 4 RV-105 Thruster pack placed near base of the ASAS Controller

6. 8 fixed solar panels.

7. Stack Decoupler

Second Stage

1. FL-T400 fuel Tank

2. LV-909 engine

3. Stack Decoupler

First Stage

Stack of;

1. FL-T200 fuel tank

2. FL-T400 Fuel Tank

3. FL-T800 Fuel Tank

4. LV-T45 engine

5. 4 Delta winglets place as low as possible.

6. 2 Launch Stabilizers.

This design will not only get you into orbit with fuel to spare, it will allow you to play with the thruster pack to see what it can do in maneuvering.

To go to Mun, add a set of four TT-38K radical decouplers and attach a set of 4 RT-10 Solid Fuel boosters. Start the Gravity Turn after the boosters burn out and the first stage engine is powered up.

Lander legs are not needed. just land softly on the RCS fuel tank. Keep the SAS on so you don't flip over on landing. Then, you can turn it off.

Edited by SRV Ron

Um, I made this ship out of demo parts. It can go to Eve's surface and back.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

For a Mun landing, you don't need too much. The upper stage should be like the one in everyone's photos of their first Mun landing, like this one:

h9rLPKB.jpg

The next stage could be two long fuel tanks with the LV-T45 engine, and then add liquid boosters on the sides with decouplers (each booster being two long fuel tanks with an LV-T30). That would be enough to land on the Mun and get back to Kerbin if you know how to do that.

Keep it simple. I don't know what parts are available in the demo but Temstar has a great set up ships which you can peek at for guidance:

This will get you to Mun.

T

Probe Stage;

1. Stayputnik

Chief problem with both these designs: the only command pod available in the demo is the Mk-1. No probe chassis are available, including Stayputniks.

Chief problem with both these designs: the only command pod available in the demo is the Mk-1. No probe chassis are available, including Stayputniks.

Opps, Place a single Kerbal capsule in place of the Stayputnik and its instruments. Just don't land on Mun with it or Jeb will be stranded.

Okay, so I went onto my laptop tonight; it's an older machine that runs the demo just fine but can't handle the full game. For those of us who have never played the demo or for who it's been too long, there are 25 parts. That's it. And here they are:

Mk-I Command Pod

Fuel Ducts

FL-T400 Fuel Tank

FL-T800 Fuel Tank

LV-T30 Engine

LV-T45 Engine

LV-909 Engine

Roundified Monopropellant Tank

FL-R25 Stack Monopropellant Tank

RT-10 SRBs

SAS Module (remember this is the 0.18 demo we're talking about, so this is the correct term)

ASAS Module

RV-105 RCS Thruster Blocks

Stability Enhancer (the launch towers)

TT-38K Radial Decoupler

TR-18A Stack Decoupler

Tri-Coupler

EAS-4 Strut Connectors (the mighty space tape)

Atmospheric Nose Cone

AV-T1 Winglet

AV-R8 Winglet

Pegasus I Mobility Enhancer

Telus Mobility Enhancer (the smaller yellow one)

LT-1 Lander Legs

Mk-16 Parachute

All other parts are a no-no for the OP's question. So, with Oddible's design, you'd have to use the TT-38Ks instead of the TT-70s (the bigger, nicer to use radial decouplers) and AV-R8s instead of the Delta Deluxe Winglets (AV-R8s have steering authority while the AV-T1s do not).

SRV Ron's design...yeah. Just replace the Stayputnik, solar panels and battery packs with a Mk-I Command Pod and you should be golden.

The other designs - definitely solid.

Oh, as an aside, if you intend to play the demo for a while due to lack of funds to buy the full version, I know for sure that the memorial easter egg on the Mun is present in the demo. Not sure about the others, but that will give you something to look for when you become comfortable going to the Mun.

ETA. Have just checked, and at least one of the arches is present in the demo as well as the memorial.

KSP32.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow88

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.