What is causing my Revert Flight to be greyed out?

In .21 I usually have the option to Revert Flight and go either to the Launch or VAB, however, sometimes the Revert Flight gets greyed out and I cannot revert the flight. Is this due to there being 2 commandable modules in flight from that single launch?

If it was mid-flight when you started flying it (like you went to the space center and then back) you can't revert anymore, you're in it for the long haul.

That's right, I lost my only Kerbals so far this way by accidentally clicking through to the space center. (ostensibly counted MIA, but were last seen on a Kerbin surface trajectory with no parachutes or other brakes). The worst part is I only wanted to go and add a single extra solar panel to the craft in the VAB...

IIRC, once you're out of atmo, you're unable to revert, and have to either land your craft to recover them or terminate and kill them off..

Note that by default, 'killed' Kerbals will become available again after an Unknown period of time. There's a setting in the persistence file that allows you to enable permadeath, but you have to turn it on manually.

IIRC, once you're out of atmo, you're unable to revert, and have to either land your craft to recover them or terminate and kill them off..

I've reverted after leaving the atmosphere a couple of times when testing boosters that turned out to be, er, a tad underpowered...

You can revert for quite a while after launch, but if you change to another craft at all, no matter how briefly, you lose the ability to revert the flight.

-- Steve

• 3 months later...
I've reverted after leaving the atmosphere a couple of times when testing boosters that turned out to be, er, a tad underpowered...

You can revert for quite a while after launch, but if you change to another craft at all, no matter how briefly, you lose the ability to revert the flight.

-- Steve

You can revert if you switch crafts using [ or ], if you use the map mode to switch though, you cannot.