Orange Tank April Fools Challenge

The joke is simple and the scoring even simpler.

Get a single Orange Tank onto the roof of the Vehicle Assembly Building leaving no evidence of how it got there. It must be on its end.

Your score is the amount of Liquid Fuel left in the tank minus 200 for every piece of evidence you left behind - make sure you read the rules.

Rules:

* The only liquid fuel you may use is the fuel in the single Orange tank you are leaving on the roof (Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank). To be totally clear, no fuel tanks except the Orange one.

* "Evidence" left behind means any part left on the roof or still attached to the Orange tank. Anchor points for detached struts/fuel lines etc are okay. (Each part = 200 penalty)

* The tank must be on its end/upright.

* You may use solid fuel boosters and RCS, however boosters can only be used to cover your tracks - they can't be used to move the Orange tank.

* Stock only and Mechjeb is allowed but will have it's own category. Doing it without Mechjeb is a lot harder as the tank is growing steadily lighter.

* No clipping or cheats.

* Pictures showing the final liquid fuel remaining or it didn't happen. (Hint: use ']' to tab to the tank and right click it).

* Please calculate your own score and put it in your post. Please state if you used Mechjeb or not - if you forget I will assume Mechjeb (unless there is evidence otherwise).

* Anything I deem not quite in the spirit of the challenge (ie. no fuel consumed) will go into it's own scoring section.

Scoring:

score = liquid fuel remaining - (200 * evidence)

Bonus: Hardcore mode - leave it on the tall water tower next to the launch pad instead. If anybody can do this I'll start a new results section.

Results:

Roof of VAB

Bystander, 2877 (jets)

Mephane, 2872 (jets)

ThePseudoMonkey, 2729 (jets)

capi3101, 2604

JamesClonk, 2373

Patupi, 2223

Boffinbox, 1948

Roof of VAB with Mechjeb

Bystander, 914

Special Section

The Challenge Breaker Rebel Award

ThePseudoMonkey 2880 (VAB perfect using parachutes and solid fuel only)

The Crazy Contraption Water Tower Award

Resilient 2680 (Water tower, using a mad crane on wheels)

Edited by Bystander

The control tower would be even more hilarious though.

Fill the orange tank with beer, and instead of buzzing the tower you'll be boozing it. :P

Also, a new results section for craft not using parachutes may be in order, in light of the above post.

Edited by Sean Mirrsen

The Grasshopper used only solid fuel :cool:

Perfect score (2880)

Hah, you broke the challenge within hours of me posting it. Well done !

Okay, as Sean says I'm afraid you're going to have to go into a special scoring section.

The control tower would be even more hilarious though.

Fill the orange tank with beer, and instead of buzzing the tower you'll be boozing it. :P

Also, a new results section for craft not using parachutes may be in order, in light of the above post.

I've added a special section for perfect scores or other unique solutions - rather than specifically make it for parachutes. For instance a liquid powered flight with parachutes would be okay.

I'll also qualify the rules to prevent solid takeoffs - was trying to avoid it, but somebody will just do a solid takeoff with chutes with an Ant engine to use 1 unit of fuel.

Managed to get a score of 2373, without Parachutes or MechJeb. :)

I had to correct for some oversteering during the landing, so I could probably get it higher if I tried really hard for hours..

But I'm happy with the result.

orange_tank_challenge_02.jpg

Nice challenge!

:)

Neat design and a clever approach - I like it. That score also puts you in the lead !

Neat design and a clever approach - I like it. That score also puts you in the lead !

Thanks!

The entry from Boffinbox is more impressive to me though.

I actually built the rover not because I wanted to save fuel, but because I wasn't able to land on the roof at all otherwise. I tried sooo many times. Always veered off course..

My piloting skills just weren't good enough. :blush:

:D

I'm surprised no one has used a jet VTOL yet. It was incredible difficult for me, but the things just barely even sip that fuel even after running high throttle for three minutes straight.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Are these Imgur albums loading properly? They look weird... Edit: thanks, Tavert!

Score: 2729

Edited by ThePsuedoMonkey

I'm surprised no one has used a jet VTOL yet. It was incredible difficult for me, but the things just barely even sip that fuel even after running high throttle for three minutes straight.

Are these Imgur albums loading properly? They look weird...

I was about to, but you beat me to it. Your imgur embeds will look better if you take off the #0 at the end.

Excellent, new top score. I suspect you nailed the reason why nobody else tried it in that they are incredibly difficult to control.

I was about to, but you beat me to it.

All entries welcome.

Hey, nice idea. God that took a number of tries. But finally

Erm...

April 1-1.jpg

Dang it! Put the decoupler on right side up!

OK, a number of attempts later...

April 1-2.jpg

No evidence other than four fuel connectors and twelve strut ends. Score:2223

(oops, miscounted the strut connectors 1st time. Not that it matters)

And this is the vehicle.

April 1-3.jpg

Oh, forgot to say. No Mechjeb used in the making of this April Fools Joke.

Edited by Patupi

I did it, on the water tower, no fuel, only a radial decoupler still attached. :) Also maybe not exactly in the spirit on the competition.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Derbent was getting tired of Jeb, Bob and Bill getting all the credit for things around here, so he wanted to show them he could accomplish things! He also may have dropped it a time or two.

Edited by Resilient

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.