[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

i've already played quite a lot this mod but one question remains: are these antimatter flux high concentration location specific orbits at specific height or at a specific location into an orbit? So far I find that the best places are usually around the equator but am I missing something?

It depends on both altitude altitude and latitude. Good altitudes very by planet while the best latitude will always be at the equator. You will find nothing above the poles.

Can I revert back to old tech tree if I take out the Interstellar mod?

I took out the mod, then later replaced mod folder back in, second time it didn't ask with tech tree to use. Where is this file that it changes? What if I want it to go back to stock. Seems like if I move mod out, it doesn't roll back to stock.

Can I revert back to old tech tree if I take out the Interstellar mod?

I took out the mod, then later replaced mod folder back in, second time it didn't ask with tech tree to use. Where is this file that it changes? What if I want it to go back to stock. Seems like if I move mod out, it doesn't roll back to stock.

The treeloader file is stored per save game. If you look in your game's save folder, you should find "tree.cfg" next to your persistance file/quicksave file. If you delete that file, the treeloader should run again and give you another option about which tech tree you want to pick.

If I may ask, what happens to Sandbox mode if I upgrade to 0.7, in terms of parts being upgraded and KSPI Science? (...Aside from my Munbase instantly exploding, that is, which is why I'm a little reluctant to just try it immediately...)

So I guess if you are only using Interstellar - then it would work, but any other mods won't show up under non-stock tech trees like the interstellar one.

Or atleast that is my experience with KW Rocketry, doesn't show under any tree other than the stock one.

If I may ask, what happens to Sandbox mode if I upgrade to 0.7, in terms of parts being upgraded and KSPI Science? (...Aside from my Munbase instantly exploding, that is, which is why I'm a little reluctant to just try it immediately...)

Leftover parts from version 0.6.X will be automatically upgraded in sandbox mode to the more advanced versions and all new parts produced in the VAB will be automatically upgraded. Any parts that have a certain amount of the science resource will keep it but it will not be possible to do anything with it or get any more of it, the research button will do nothing in sandbox mode.

It is a reasonable and obvious application. But in reality, it probably wouldn't actually work that way. The A/W Drive directly affects the curvature and distribution of space in a local area. It's not simply about adjusting the effective mass of the vessel. Neutralizing the mass of the vessel as you suggest would require even more tight localization of the effect, meaning there would likely be catastrophic effects if even a microparticle were to cross that threshold. And it wouldn't really neutralize the mass of the vessel anyway, it would merely counteract the distorting effect any matter has on the curvature of space.

A more practical adaptation might be to say that the same exotic matter might be utilized by a different type of device targeting the Higgs Field instead, directly impacting the vessel's effective mass.

Regardless, the primary reason for restricting the scope of that effect, rather than just letting the device completely neutralize it, is power. Odds are, such a device might work, but require as much or more power than the A/W Drive itself. Neutralization would require more than just the power to directly offset the vessel's mass. Like turning west instead of east when launching, you'd have to double up to actually fully cancel it out. No, I have no scientific basis for that, because obviously no one can study it yet. Call me a visionary...it makes sense when put in with the rest of the workings of the universe. I could be hopelessly wrong though...c'est la vie.

So, 1/2 mass-capable drives of that type would take as much power as an A/W drive for a vessel of similar original mass capable of effectively hitting exactly lightspeed. Perfectly reasonable limitation on their capabilities, and prevents game-breaking. The only other option would be to write the device off entirely and never include it. Then again, I highly doubt by now that Fractal's even really thinking about it, anyway.

Err... I think either you're seriously misunderstanding what I'm suggesting or I'm seriously misunderstanding the physics of the situation. To elaborate: If the exotic matter is negative mass (and it is, in the context of an Alcubierre drive) we don't need any sort of fancy device to lower a ship's effective mass with it. All you'd really need is a fuel tank full of the stuff. Dry weight, low positive value, full weight, large negative value.

Of course then we get the potential problem of people building negative-mass ships and I kind of suspect that Kerbal would not react well to ships that weigh less than nothing.

If we ever get realistic g-forces in game, exotic matter could act like inertial damper (yes, it is proper term - not the dampener). F.E: Your gargantuic spaceship is capable of 20 g. acceleration, but stress on the structure rips it apart well before reaching maximal acceleration. Add some exotic matter to the mix, and now your ship suffers only equivalent of 2 g's. Make it sufficiently resource-hungry, and the ship will be able to mitigate the overload only for a minute or two. Enough to get through the worst part, but too short and expensive to abuse. I reckon it would be most useful during liftoffs and landings - my heavy kethane miners certainly would benefit from such part :)

If we ever get realistic g-forces in game, exotic matter could act like inertial damper.

To be honest, it'd be nice to have that now, in a sense. use it to plonk a bubble around yourself, keeping the components stable within, and allowing you to apply thrust.

As an advanced component, it would allow you to add thrust to large constructions without the wobbling/kraken effect. Would obviously need to be quite power hungry, and possibly have a decent cooldown to prevent abuse, but it would make some of this much easier.

Technically, you could try to invoke "time warp" physics to keep everything where it was while the force is being applied.

first: thank you! second: how do i get this to work with other mods like kw?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is possible to add parts from other mods to the tree.cfg found in your saves folder. I was wondering the same thing as all my KW gear was not loading. Granted it would lake a lot of work though. I'm going to try it and see what happens. If it misses up my game I can just reload a new one. :D

That's the problem with all mods that do not integrate into the stock tech tree...to me this is a big problem, probably caused by Squad with the lack of implementation of mod support for the tech tree.

Until such a time comes when mods integrate properly with the tree and don't need separate tech trees per mod...i am playing stock.

Hey, made an account here (rather than just lurking) because I can't get this to work.

I followed the readme instructions, and unpacked the gamedata file in KSPInterstellar-v0.7.zip into my main KSP directory. I now have HexCans, WarpPlugin, and TreeLoader files in my gamedata folder, as I would expect. However when I try to start the game I am not prompted at any point to select a tech tree, and never even make it beyond the loading screen. I get the Squad splash screen, the load bar completes, and then I get the little solar system loading icon in the bottom corner, but it just spins endlessly.

Removing the mod results in my game working normally.

Am I installing incorrectly?

Thank you for the 0.7 update! Thank you, thank you, thank you! (Also, thanks for the original mod and idea and everything else) and a special thanks to R4m0n for being an awesome modder to help with the tech tree stuff. This is all great!

Hey, made an account here (rather than just lurking) because I can't get this to work.

I followed the readme instructions, and unpacked the gamedata file in KSPInterstellar-v0.7.zip into my main KSP directory. I now have HexCans, WarpPlugin, and TreeLoader files in my gamedata folder, as I would expect. However when I try to start the game I am not prompted at any point to select a tech tree, and never even make it beyond the loading screen. I get the Squad splash screen, the load bar completes, and then I get the little solar system loading icon in the bottom corner, but it just spins endlessly.

Removing the mod results in my game working normally.

Am I installing incorrectly?

just to clarify, I also get this problem

Something seems to be wrong with Tree Loader imbedded in this update. Download Tree Loader from its main thread and install it Gamedata (delete installation from KSPI) It fixed the problem with non-loading game for me. Though i'm not sure if KSPI tree works properly now - i can see Lithium tank at starting Tier, but no parts show up on the following Tiers.

Something seems to be wrong with Tree Loader imbedded in this update. Download Tree Loader from its main thread and install it Gamedata (delete installation from KSPI) It fixed the problem with non-loading game for me. Though i'm not sure if KSPI tree works properly now - i can see Lithium tank at starting Tier, but no parts show up on the following Tiers.

I'm using the download that was provided in the OP. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Edit: I didn't realize tree loader was an entirely seperate mod that was packaged in with KSPI. Whoops.

Edited by spiritualus
I am not a smart man.

There are no KSPI parts in the next tiers, they generally begin appearing from tier 6 onwards so don't worry if you don't see anything. Only reason I put the Lithium at the start was because I didn't see any logical reason for the need to unlock the ability to make a tank full of Lithium. Putting a tank full of Lithium on your first spaceship is pretty Kerbal.

That's the problem with all mods that do not integrate into the stock tech tree...to me this is a big problem, probably caused by Squad with the lack of implementation of mod support for the tech tree.

Until such a time comes when mods integrate properly with the tree and don't need separate tech trees per mod...i am playing stock.

This seems to be a bit of an issue with TreeLoader, I used a copy of the stock tech tree to extend from in that hope that that would interfere least with other mods, unfortunately, it appears that doesn't help.

You can also use the stock tech tree and Interstellar will still function but the science system won't be nearly as interesting and some of the part upgrades won't be available.

I am looking for a better solution to these issues, I can't promise anything at the moment but I'll do my best.

Huh. So far i've discovered nodes up to Tier 5. Mission or two more should give me enough points to research Tier 6. Then i should have enough data to know if my quickfix allow KSPI parts to work as intended.

Huh. So far i've discovered nodes up to Tier 5. Mission or two more should give me enough points to research Tier 6. Then i should have enough data to know if my quickfix allow KSPI parts to work as intended.

It should work fine, but it should also be the same file. All I have done is repackage the file up to distribute with the mod for convenience.