[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Thanks for the update fractal_UK seems to have fixed all the bugs I've found! Yikes some people on this threat are total jerks. I wish they'd realize its not your JOB to do this just a hobby. That and it took you like a day to track down and fix all the problems. Faster than ANY other mod dev I've ever heard of! Keep up the great work bro and take it easy don't let them get in your head

I don't feel I was being a "jerk". I thought Fractal might want to have some feedback from some of the community. Some of us don't like the direction his mod is headed and I was trying to alter that direction. If it's true (as another poster has stated) that he doesn't care what we think, I will probably have to make a fork of his work for my own enjoyment.

Disagreement doesn't make someone a jerk.

I really wonder why, when asked for a picture of a craft for troubleshooting purposes, 99% of people post the craft in total darkness. I can tell that there are some radiators, a transceiver, and what looks like a plasma engine that's falling off. Maybe some generators, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Cause first it happend to be nighttime, second the thing already had a bit of spontanious deconstruction due to physics loading in and doing a timewarp would have most likely destroyed the rest of it, and third I was short on time and begers cant be choosie so gave him what I had. Like I said in the post however if his wheels are breaking off due to weight add more wheels. Even in the dim lighting I can see in that picture just fine, turn up the brightness/contrast on your monitor.

It's Fractal's mod. Fractal will go where Fractal wants to go. Start your own mod. Do things your way.

As I tried to indicate, I'm okay with that. Some mod developers are receptive to feedback; some are not. But there's nothing wrong with disagreement. We can disagree and still be adults about it.

@Fractal Oh for sure; at 2+KM/s the intake air is rather ridiculously hot; the "problem" (more a PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair) lies in the atmospheric intake that isn't turned off when the intakes are closed; and when/if I fat-finger my keyboard / or prepare the engine for atmospheric flight at 12-15 KM; the engine ends up throttling up and exploding instantaneously at 22kM up; makes for some awesome re-entry fireworks though! Welcome Home! *EXPLODE*. Not a biggie though; just something I'll have to keep an eye on.

@Fractal Oh for sure; at 2+KM/s the intake air is rather ridiculously hot; the "problem" (more a PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair) lies in the atmospheric intake that isn't turned off when the intakes are closed; and when/if I fat-finger my keyboard / or prepare the engine for atmospheric flight at 12-15 KM; the engine ends up throttling up and exploding instantaneously at 22kM up; makes for some awesome re-entry fireworks though! Welcome Home! *EXPLODE*. Not a biggie though; just something I'll have to keep an eye on.

I might be able to tie an atmospheric intake control to the standard intake one, then the open/close button would control both. That would be a useful change for other reasons. I will look into doing that.

@Fractal_UK: Just installed your new update and my fusion-powered shuttle flies straight once again, much thanks!

I'm a little unsure how the thermal turbojets are actually consuming the charged power now (perhaps at a lower efficiency), their thrust in LFO mode is still higher than in 0.9.2 but lower than it was in 0.10.1. It looks like with sufficient storage of megajoules the use of a plasma thruster for the burn to orbit is still a valid technique to provide that push into the upper atmosphere. Going low on megajoules indeed triggered the warning message and I was able to throttle back just in time. :)

Reality, you just don't give a #%# about problems with your mod. Fine! I won't waste my time ever reporting any fault your PERFECT mod has ever again.

Reality, your the only person reporting the problem, if others can reproduce it he can fix it until then your @#%$ in the wind....

Every feature that people might not like is very easy to disable anyway, that is by design. These can be done either by editing the module manager configs or by editing the warp plugin settings file.

I think the problem may be that people don't know what and where to do the editing.

p.s.

Excellent work on the updates as always ;)

Edited by Donziboy2

@Fractal_UK: Just installed your new update and my fusion-powered shuttle flies straight once again, much thanks!

I'm a little unsure how the thermal turbojets are actually consuming the charged power now (perhaps at a lower efficiency), their thrust in LFO mode is still higher than in 0.9.2 but lower than it was in 0.10.1.

You've spotted my trick. I just reduced the thrust slightly so that the amount of energy they are drawing shouldn't ever endanger the ability to actually maintain fusion, this way you'll always see the same value too, rather than having the thrust drop as you start to deplete resources.

Reality, your the only person reporting the problem, if others can reproduce it he can fix it until then your @#%$ in the wind....

It's not that, if I can find get a decent bug report off one person, I'll obviously look at it. It's just that in this case the "problem" he is reporting is the correct behaviour, in fact, it's the behaviour you'd want.

Thermal helper is displaying something strange now:

PDQjoBW.jpg

This ship has no generators/reactors, just receivers + radiators.

Also may be it can be displayed during flight to show current situation? Something similar to power management display will be very usefull.

And another question, how new D/T tanks which need power are different from old/smaller ones?

Edited by Lightwarrior

Thermal helper is displaying something strange now:

This ship has no generators/reactors, just receivers + radiators.

Also may be it can be displayed during flight to show current situation? Something similar to power management display will be very usefull.

And another question, how new D/T tanks which need power are different from old/smaller ones?

Ah, it's because you have no generators so there is no thermal source temperature to worry about (I guess it's therefore displaying float.MaxValue). That part of the display just needs hiding when that is the case, I guess, it's giving you the right information, it just looks a bit messy.

It definitely can be done in flight with some work, I guess it could be useful when you're docking things together to build large ships or bases.

The difference I believe is in mass. The older tanks are much heavier than the new cryo tank, not to mention the cryo tank has a better mass to fuel ratio compared to the old tanks. My only problem with the new tank is the shape, it doesn't mesh well with 2.5m parts.

It definitely can be done in flight with some work, I guess it could be useful when you're docking things together to build large ships or bases.

It also can be usefull for ships like those on screenshot above, which is powered by microwave transmitted power, to show current situation and probably predict how long ship can work with current power received.

Fractal_UK is it possible to add a feature to EVA transfer UF4 from one container to another.

Say I want to transfer UF4 from a resupply craft to the onboard UF4 storage tanks of my main craft, using an EVA Kerbal to select the tank to transfer fuel out of and then select which tank to move it to.

Is it possible to do?

Delete the mod folders, redownload and reinstall. There is definitely no incompatibility with KW.

I re-installed all the mods but when i try to launch a craft, the game still crashes on me. the error report says

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module mono.dll at 0023:10118bea.

Error occurred at 2014-02-04_193512.

E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Keith.

68% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [2609 MB free].

0 MB paging file [0 MB free].

0 MB user address space [119 MB free].

Write to location 00100000 caused an access violation....

any help?

I re-installed all the mods but when i try to launch a craft, the game still crashes on me. the error report says

mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module mono.dll at 0023:10118bea.

Error occurred at 2014-02-04_193512.

E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by Keith.

68% memory in use.

0 MB physical memory [2609 MB free].

0 MB paging file [0 MB free].

0 MB user address space [119 MB free].

Write to location 00100000 caused an access violation....

any help?

Quite clear isn't it, you run out of memory. Try reduce mods and/or use active memory reducing mods available.

Not to mention that my game keeps crashing like that even i removed pretty much all microwave horrors of my save. At least game loads my ships faster on launchpad. There use to be like 20s hold. But since this is mearly a memory issue and nothing to do this great mod, there is nothing fractal can do for us. Strange that i have plenty of memory left (of the 32bit 'pool'), oh well....game is getting bit old anyway.

If there is one thing that could use quick updating, its the microwave receiver, the umbrella variant that causes all kinds of troubles. Some sort of phased array variant that could placed on the skin of the plane, like the solar panels...

Like nobody does, I will..

I test the new solar sail, so I will leave my thoughts.

Is great, I love it. I had a lot of fun playing with it. The acuracy of the physsics laws involved like angular light incidence, radiation inverse square law and thermal radiation properties (i dint check them very much). Or the way that you solve the warp time problem; even squad would not do it better.

Also the SasquatchM Solar Sail model and deploy animation is better than I imagine. Very elegant.

But I have some doubts or questions, to test this, I delete almost all other parts less the ones that has relevance with thermal or electrical properties. I did this becouse I am full of mods, and I cut almost 60% of parts to each mod, plus the active texture reductor.

So I experiment some weird bugs, and I am not sure if all the data that I see is correct.

"I will install most of your parts eventually, but first I need to planning how to do it."

I play in the sandbox mode. I notice that some parts can lv up with tech improvements, But in sandbox I dint see the option, so what value the parts choose?

The solar sails mass is 1T? This is the base weight or not?

My estimation taking 1300 w/m2 at (1AU kerbin orbit) with 1N of force, is that the real solar sail dimentions are close to 400mts x 400mts, in KSP scale 1/10 this will be 40x40 like the model that we see (I understand this is mostly to avoid some unity engine problems and practical implementation of the solar sail)

Why you choose 1T? Is for technical problems with the strenght of the sail due to KSP way to calculate things or the weight of the sail in 400mtsx400mts using kapton (sunjammer material)?

Well like I said, is a great mod and job, Congrats Fractal.

Is weird that not much people is testing this. Maybe is difficult at first. I will add a little guide:

How to use solar sails for those who wanna try and still had some doubts:

You need to try to make your payload the most light possible.

This is how I test it.

IQ_solar_sail1.jpgIQ_solar_sail2.jpgIQ_solar_sail3.jpg

My payload is 0,6T.

Like fractal already explain, we can thrust at different directions just reflecting the light in the opposite direction that we want.

The potential is great, we can achieve 22 m/s by day at 1AU, in few days we can achieve a DV of 700 m/s without any proppelent. Close to the sun this will be a lot faster.

Some advices:

-You can use Maneuver nodes to planning some encounters.

-Set these maneuver nodes some days ahead of your mid ""burn"" estimation.

-You can use and set all different cordinates from the maneuver node less one. "The Radial In" (sun direction) See this, so you need to plan your encounters without using that cordinate. Is like sail boats, we can not sail in the opossite direction that the wind blows.

How you can see in some of the images, this has a lot of potential, how much proppelent you will need to get so close to the sun?

Unfortunately in that image I lost conection and my sail crash XD

Edited by AngelLestat

On the mun, ice is contained in the polar craters but there isn't water anywhere else on the surface.

On minmus, there is ice everywhere in at least small quantities.

I'm going to add a Dynamic Albedo of Neutrons detector to allow you to rove around and find what the concentration is in each area.