[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

This is based on my experiences, though it may have changed since I did this. With 2 generators on one reactor I got 2 times the mj/s untill they used up the heat then it dropped back to the max output of the reactor. I don't remember which had priority but I have also done, for example, a reactor with a generator on one side and a thermal jet on the other. I will test again later today to see if I can still do this stuff.

If true, thats neat if not particularly useful since once you burn through the stored thermal power it will drop back to normal and the extra generator is dead weight. Maybe that was a result of his rewritten resource system in the last update. When I tested it, it would only recognize one reactor and one thermal rocket.

If true, thats neat if not particularly useful since once you burn through the stored thermal power it will drop back to normal and the extra generator is dead weight. Maybe that was a result of his rewritten resource system in the last update. When I tested it, it would only recognize one reactor and one thermal rocket.

Ended up having a little time so I just tested and I can confirm that you can have 2 generators connected to the same reactor. They both ran at max power until the thermal power ran out then they dropped to about half and continued to run there. I do agree that that is a pretty useless design though I don't know what the power scaling would be like with an antimatter generator. Maybe getting that 2x power generation would be useful in some emergency situation.

A generator and a thermal engine works as well, both running at full power until they drained the thermal power at which point the engine got priority. I also realized that you can't attach 2 engines to one generator since the generator can't be radially mounted...one of it's nodes would have to be attached to a probe core/rest of the ship to use the engines.

Good to know! I wonder how it would work if I radially attached 4 small generators to one large reactor.

I don't know off the top of my head if radially attached generators are detected by the code. It would be interesting to know whether it would be more weight efficient to use more, small generators. I seem to recall a discussion about the efficiency of the different sized generators. If I remember correctly the larger generators produce more mj for a given amount of thermal power though I may be wrong. It would be interesting to see the trade off between power and weight efficiency.

I'm not too worried about efficiency so long as it works with radial generators. There are plenty of times when I want a large nuke or AM generator for the larger thrust in the thermal rocket but only need a very small amount of power generation, so attaching a single small generator radially would work well.

Of course you need to use something like the editor extensions mod to do this since normally they cannot radially attach.

Darn it...now I'm curious!

Ok...just tested and I was surprised to find out that generators can be radially attached right out of the box. They do not, however, detect the reactor they are attached to :(

Maybe we'll get functional radially attached generators some time in the future (or not...it's up to Fractal).

Just use the smallest generator with a few struts to hold it all together, saves weight, gives you this cavity that you stick random stuff in. I always either use the smallest generator in combo with w/e reac is available, or whack on a tiny nuke/jenny somewhere.

eDx4Pnq.jpg

Edited by stevron

Darn it...now I'm curious!

Ok...just tested and I was surprised to find out that generators can be radially attached right out of the box. They do not, however, detect the reactor they are attached to :(

Maybe we'll get radially attached generators some time in the future.

Now I am sad. Though interested to hear you can now radially attach them by default!

Good to know! I wonder how it would work if I radially attached 4 small generators to one large reactor.

Generators can be radially attached to reactors? I've never gotten this to work. How is it done?

What evil magic is this!?

Generators can be radially attached to reactors? I've never gotten this to work. How is it done?

What evil magic is this!?

They have attachment rules of 1 1 1 1 0. Which is stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision according to the wiki page. So they can be radially attached by default. They don't work attached to a reactor like that but you could radially attach them to another part and attach a reactor to the generator by a node and it would work fine.

Also yes the editor extension mod is undeniably magical.

Sorry for a likely noob question here, but I'm a noob to this mod, so.. Is it possible to use solar panels to create megajoules? I note the readme refers to using solar arrays to power microwave links.. is it only via those links that the conversion can be done? I've made ships with panels, reactors and generators, and with the reactor on there's a nice build-up of MJ, but disable the fuel flow to turn it off and with just the gigantor array there... no dice, nothing coming in.

Am I missing something there?

Sorry for a likely noob question here, but I'm a noob to this mod, so.. Is it possible to use solar panels to create megajoules? I note the readme refers to using solar arrays to power microwave links.. is it only via those links that the conversion can be done? I've made ships with panels, reactors and generators, and with the reactor on there's a nice build-up of MJ, but disable the fuel flow to turn it off and with just the gigantor array there... no dice, nothing coming in.

Am I missing something there?

You have it correct there. The only way to get mj out of solar panels at the moment is to send it via a microwave transmitter.

Thankya sir, much appreciated.

Though.. I have a satellite in geosynch orbit over the KSC, collecting solar power, with a transmitter turned on (and pointed to the ground - is that a requirement as well?) Made a very simple little testbed with the two receivers on it (is there a particular advantage to the phased array one?) and it's not collecting anything.

??

Thankya sir, much appreciated.

Though.. I have a satellite in geosynch orbit over the KSC, collecting solar power, with a transmitter turned on (and pointed to the ground - is that a requirement as well?) Made a very simple little testbed with the two receivers on it (is there a particular advantage to the phased array one?) and it's not collecting anything.

??

Could be that Kerbin is currently between the transmitter and the sun, so the transmitter isn't getting any solar power?

there are many bugs with this mod, problems i have encountered, science lab+ 4 small nuclear reactors +small thermal/power converter and 2 heat radiators, everything powers down to 30 % even though the lab is taking up 5MW, so my system idles even though it's under a load. antimatter doesn't work at all even with everything directly connected. the concept is nice, build space stations with spamed antimatter collectors to make fueling stations for warp ships, cool stuff like that but the system needs work. it hardly functions.

there are many bugs with this mod, problems i have encountered, science lab+ 4 small nuclear reactors +small thermal/power converter and 2 heat radiators, everything powers down to 30 % even though the lab is taking up 5MW, so my system idles even though it's under a load. antimatter doesn't work at all even with everything directly connected. the concept is nice, build space stations with spamed antimatter collectors to make fueling stations for warp ships, cool stuff like that but the system needs work. it hardly functions.

Actually the mod is working fine for me so likely you're doing something wrong. Mind posting a few screenshots of your setups?

For example the nuclear reactors automatically throttle down when their full power isn't being used. This isn't a bug, it saves you fuel. If you're using 4 of the smallest reactors you're producing something like 6MJ of power and only using 5 for the lab, so of course they would throttle down.

Edited by forsaken1111

@ deltauad: Like Aranthos said, theres no bar anymore, it just keeps adding it to the KSC when you fly it. If you leave the ship and fly somthing else, it will keep track from the time you left it, and when you return, it will calculate and give the total again to KSC.

@DrNuke: Since we are talking about research, you dont happen to have a Research/Time chart for the system handy do you?

At the moment I do not, but I will look into making one. To the spreadsheets!

More or less a crosspost from the ModularFuelSystems thread to say that I've updated the RealFuels compability file to properly support the DT Vista engine using LiquidH2 fuel.

Find it here: Real Fuels Compatibility

This is for the purpose of making KSPI more compatible with MFS mod, right? If so, that means at some point I can use both in the Rescaled Kerbin Mod...yay!

This is for the purpose of making KSPI more compatible with MFS mod, right? If so, that means at some point I can use both in the Rescaled Kerbin Mod...yay!

Yes, I'm very interested in the combination of KSPI and the rescaled solar system for the future, you could imagine career mode would present a whole new challenge when just making a landing on and returning from the mun becomes a genuine challenge. It would really slow the rate of technology acquisition and make developing the parts in KSPI, to unlock the colonisation of the solar system, a real difficult journey where you could genuinely feel like you had played through the early days of spaceflight to far beyond current levels of space technology. The parts would, afterall, become genuinely essential to unlocking numerous mission profiles in a realistic solar system that would be simply impossible with a rocket having ~450s of Isp.

I suspect that trying to complete the tech tree like that would be quite difficult but ultimately, the more difficult something is to complete, the more rewarding it feels at the end when you have done it.

Either way, I'll keep an eye on the rescaled solar system mod and see how it develops.

Yes, I'm very interested in the combination of KSPI and the rescaled solar system for the future, you could imagine career mode would present a whole new challenge when just making a landing on and returning from the mun becomes a genuine challenge. It would really slow the rate of technology acquisition and make developing the parts in KSPI, to unlock the colonisation of the solar system, a real difficult journey where you could genuinely feel like you had played through the early days of spaceflight to far beyond current levels of space technology. The parts would, afterall, become genuinely essential to unlocking numerous mission profiles in a realistic solar system that would be simply impossible with a rocket having ~450s of Isp.

I suspect that trying to complete the tech tree like that would be quite difficult but ultimately, the more difficult something is to complete, the more rewarding it feels at the end when you have done it.

Either way, I'll keep an eye on the rescaled solar system mod and see how it develops.

Yeah...two things I'm hoping they can fix as they work on it are the subdued landscapes of the worlds, and the workload on computers. Right now, I don't feel confident I could run it once they've gotten the entire system scaled. My rig would choke on itself. I'm currently contemplating trying it out as it is now to see how big of a difference there is. I could be wrong after all.