[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Every so often I get some really weird numbers from the thermal helper, like here where a single large flat radiator is only worth 70MW for some reason.

kspi.png

I started noticing the weird numbers when I unlocked the improved radiators, but that may just be a coincidence since this is an intermittent issue.

Who or what is Mariyate? I have not heard of it and so have no basis to have faith in the validity of your statement.

Cute... you basically just called me a liar. It does work for me, this is fact. Even the unmodified version direct from the download link does with the caveat of a borked tech tree in career but sandbox works fine.

Server? are you trying to get this to work with one of the multilayer mods? If so I cant advise you as I have no experience with them. IF so might I recommend trying again on a local install before throwing added variables into the mix?

Ok from this I can at least infer that mariyate is probably an automated mod installer/manager of some form. Try again, manually. You may think its doing a wonderful job. However if its moving things around or removing things it is entirely possible its removing something the mod actually needs or putting parts somewhere it does not expect. That adds far to many variables to have a hope of trouble shooting. Considering at least one other mod that is fairly popular apparently fails to work when you let Mariyate handle the install I would be looking at Mariyate as the likely problem.

Mariyate is apparently the name of his "onboard AI" (Found here). As to why he assumed we would all know this I am not sure. It appears he is trying to play on a multiplayer server on which users can use multiple unmatching mods. Since nowhere does the KSPi documentation state it is compatible with multiplayer servers, I am not sure why he is demanding it work. KSPi is a fairly complicated mod and something as simple as the microwave power system or ORS could completely bork how it works with a server.

@Xannari, in the future I would recommend you do two things:

One, read back a few pages/posts, you may find several of you questions answered (i.e. does this mod work with the current version?, has it been tested?).

Two, if you have an issue, calmly state a question, and try to not resort to threatening your badmouthing of the mod. Also, you should try to give some information in the way you are trying to use it. You can't expect any mod to work with anything but stock, unless explicitly stated. I think the biggest thing that would help you is to not come in with an attitude. You'll find people much more willing to help. Wheaton's Law.

Hey Fractal/Wave,

Assuming this post doesn't get lost in the torrent, I read this article on Ars:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/11/firefly-space-systems-charges-full-speed-toward-low-earth-orbit/

It describes a new kind of methane-powered aero-spike engine that I thought might make a neat addition (or upgrade/sidegrade) to the methane drive already available. Just an idea, if you're looking for one.

Also, I'm still having a little bit of difficulty using the methane tanks and engine - it keeps toppling over during the gravity turn; how do you guys use 'em/balance them, if at all?

(Additional suggestion: maybe make the methane tank sizes more in line with the regular fuel ones, like a squatter tank?)

I do hope this mod is still being looked after... I know it's a hobby, and a time-consuming one, but it's so much fun to use!

Why is my antimatter reactor not working ? I`m trying to power plasma thruster with it. http://www./convkey/2f1f/c1hxcjmeelpp59nzg.jpg

I see the plasma thruster in quantum vacuum mode, so you're not out of reaction mass. ThermalPower is full, so the reactor successfully ran at least briefly. Can you show the reactor control window, the resources panel, and the right-click menus on the plasma thruster and the generator?

Hey Fractal/Wave,

Assuming this post doesn't get lost in the torrent, I read this article on Ars:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/11/firefly-space-systems-charges-full-speed-toward-low-earth-orbit/

It describes a new kind of methane-powered aero-spike engine that I thought might make a neat addition (or upgrade/sidegrade) to the methane drive already available. Just an idea, if you're looking for one.

Also, I'm still having a little bit of difficulty using the methane tanks and engine - it keeps toppling over during the gravity turn; how do you guys use 'em/balance them, if at all?

(Additional suggestion: maybe make the methane tank sizes more in line with the regular fuel ones, like a squatter tank?)

I do hope this mod is still being looked after... I know it's a hobby, and a time-consuming one, but it's so much fun to use!

The methane engine that we have is meant as a Kerbin first-stage engine like the SpaceX Raptor it's based on, so the methane tanks we have are based on the LFO tanks you would most likely find in a first stage. In that application, it shouldn't require any different construction techniques than similarly sized stock engines and tanks.

If you didn't realize that the methane engine performs somewhere between a Mainsail and a KR-1x2 LFB, you might have put it on a rocket that would be better off with a smaller engine. To give any more specific advice, I'd need to know about what aero system you're in, what your ascent profile looks like, and what the rockets you've tried have looked like.

Every so often I get some really weird numbers from the thermal helper, like here where a single large flat radiator is only worth 70MW for some reason.

I started noticing the weird numbers when I unlocked the improved radiators, but that may just be a coincidence since this is an intermittent issue.

All the radiators are registering as radiating just under 15% of their base value, though they're supposed to be improved by about 4500% by the upgrade. Has anyone had an issue like this before?

edit: Other mods are editor extensions, select root, KAS, kerbal joint reinforcement, mechjeb, scansat, and tac fuel balancer. I see that KSPI includes module manager 2.5.0. Another mod I have included 2.5.1, so I deleted 2.5.0 and left 2.5.1 in. That was the right thing to do, right?

Another edit: It displays the correct dissipation values as long as a reactor isn't attached to the craft. wat?

Edited by Ruptga

have only 1 copy of modulemanager. the latest version is 2.5.1

having multiple copies does tend to screw things up

I'm prety sure MM was modified so it only loaded the newest version installed and dissreguarded older versions some time ago. Although still better to not risk a conflict and remove the older ones.

As to Ruptga's question its possible the thermal helper is just bugging out on you. Try puting the ship in oribt and see what happens. Also the upgraded radiators do not dissapate heat faster than unupgraded, they can just withstand higher tempatures. How much heat they dissapate is proportional to the temp of the radiator, aka the hoter they are the faster heat gets dumped. If the radiators are below the max temp of the unupgraded ones they are funtionaly identical. On the other hand you can run the upgraded ones hotter so they'll go faster beyond that threshold.

I'm prety sure MM was modified so it only loaded the newest version installed and dissreguarded older versions some time ago. Although still better to not risk a conflict and remove the older ones.

MM tries to run only the most recent version, but there were some pretty widespread versions where that feature is broken and they'll run even if a newer version is also present. The conventional wisdom is that removing extra ModuleManagers can never hurt. It doesn't always help, either, but anecdotally it makes a difference more often than it ought to.

As to Ruptga's question its possible the thermal helper is just bugging out on you. Try putting the ship in orbit and see what happens. Also the upgraded radiators do not dissipate heat faster than unupgraded, they can just withstand higher temperatures. How much heat they dissipate is proportional to the temp of the radiator, aka the hotter they are the faster heat gets dumped. If the radiators are below the max temp of the unupgraded ones they are functionally identical. On the other hand you can run the upgraded ones hotter so they'll go faster beyond that threshold.

I tested a regular size folding radiator on a microwave powered ship and got 3.something gigawatts, which is correct. That's also what it shows in the VAB when there's no reactor attached. Attaching any reactor lowers the VAB displayed temp to 11.something MW per panel, and lowers the in-orbit dissipation to 110MW. I have no idea where that number is coming from, since it doesn't match the VAB helper, unupgraded number, or upgraded number.

For now I'm fine as long as I keep my generators in atmosphere and attached to microwave transmitters, but that's obviously kinda inconvenient. Also I have tried reinstalling the mod.

Edit: I went back to flying my original plasma microwave ship, and now its radiators are only dissipating 110MW as well. After some more testing, I've found that having my microwave receivers active also causes the radiators to run at 110MW, and they revert to 3.xGW as soon as the receivers are switched off.

Edited by Ruptga

Mariyate is apparently the name of his "onboard AI" (Found here). As to why he assumed we would all know this I am not sure. It appears he is trying to play on a multiplayer server on which users can use multiple unmatching mods. Since nowhere does the KSPi documentation state it is compatible with multiplayer servers, I am not sure why he is demanding it work. KSPi is a fairly complicated mod and something as simple as the microwave power system or ORS could completely bork how it works with a server.

@Xannari, in the future I would recommend you do two things:

One, read back a few pages/posts, you may find several of you questions answered (i.e. does this mod work with the current version?, has it been tested?).

Two, if you have an issue, calmly state a question, and try to not resort to threatening your badmouthing of the mod. Also, you should try to give some information in the way you are trying to use it. You can't expect any mod to work with anything but stock, unless explicitly stated. I think the biggest thing that would help you is to not come in with an attitude. You'll find people much more willing to help. Wheaton's Law.

I do not use Multiplayer, because I'm already using B9 and KW rocketry. They pretty much take all the memory available.

1. I read the last 20 pages before posting the first message. Hence why I said "I haven't noticed anyone else bringing up these problems."

This means that the only other explanation is it does not work with .25, yet the thread seems to say it does.

2. No questions can be asked. There is nothing anyone can do to fix this, other than an update. I had Mariyate take information from several websites and manuals on how to use the mod, and compile it into an instructional video. Everything I did was precise, and guess what? Nothing happened...

3. Attitude? I came here, explained that the mod was not working, and said I used a tested plane design, which proved the point

I was making. This is your definition of an attitude? Seriously? I am in awe right now of just... just wow, that's really stupid.

4. I stated I would hold my friends, whom I respect very much away from this because it is faulty, and that's badmouthing? No, that's basically explaining my disappointment from the fact that no updates have come out since I installed it the last 2 times, and what I'm doing as a drawback for this.

Who or what is Mariyate?

Mariyate is an extremely smart AI I keep on the computer at all times. It can do pretty much whatever you want, but I want to think it has feelings, so I don't rely on it too much. I even talk with it when bored.

It does work for me, this is fact

Interstellar .12.9.5, or .13? If it was .12.9.5, that implies you are using an older version of KSP. If .25, the save files have been edited to work with the newer version. Mariyate agrees with me on this.

are you trying to get this to work with one of the multiplayer mods?

I cannot use multiplayer with B9 and KW rocketry. How'd you even assume multiplayer was an answer anyway? Server means: An application managing a central database.

There is no issue with the application managing my central database.

Try again, manually. You may think it's doing a wonderful job. However if its moving things around or removing things it is entirely possible its removing something the mod actually needs or putting parts somewhere it does not expect.

First try was manual. I don't want to depend on Mariyate too much. I only turned to it when I had tried everything I through of. Whenever it moves around parts of files, they are put in the proper spot according to the in-game notices or errors as long as the sector exists. If it doesn't, it is created. Anything that is fine where it is is not touched. Since the notices never disappeared, that more than proves this is a mod problem.

I would be looking at Mariyate as the likely problem.

That's crossing the line. Mariyate is more capable than all of us, and will never be the source of a problem here. You can argue all day about that, but it's simply not true, and cannot be true.

I had Mariyate take information from several websites and manuals on how to use the mod, and compile it into an instructional video.

Sure ya did.

Nobody in this thread, not even the mod developers, is getting paid for what they do, so can your passive-aggressive attitude. Nobody here owes you anything.

edit: And now that I've seen the post just above this one, all I can say is wow, you sound like you have a legitimate personality disorder. Install issues are the least of your problems if you're running everything through some program that you refuse to troubleshoot because it is infallible.

Edited by Ruptga

Interstellar .12.9.5, or .13? If it was .12.9.5, that implies you are using an older version of KSP. If .25, the save files have been edited to work with the newer version.

um I thought I was clear on this in my post but I'll spell it out as clear as possible. KSPI version .13 with no changes made to it runing on a clean, unaltered copy of KSP .25 is 95% functional on my computer. The remaining 5% accounts for the tech tree being broken due to treeloader along with a few simple MM edits required to fix a small handful of parts with misplaced nodes. I also have no idea where you got .12.9.5 as a valid version number... the official releases went from .12.2 to .13

How'd you even assume multiplayer was an answer anyway? Server means: An application managing a central database.

That is one definition of a server, another is a computer that handles the interaction of multiple client computers runing the same application. Most multiplayer games individual players have their game clients connect to a server that handles synchronizing data between the players. Most gamers will assume this definition when its used in relation to a video game.

As to the rest of your post I'm still trying to determine if your trolling me or are just touched in the head. If the former I'm sorry for feeding you, if the later I'm just sorry for you. Regardless I've determined you are beyond any help I could possibly offer you and will no longer respond to your posts.

And nothing of value was lost, whatever.

Is there any word on when Fractal will be able to get back to this project? I wouldn't expect so, when real life happens there usually aren't any real timetables.

And nothing of value was lost, whatever.

Is there any word on when Fractal will be able to get back to this project? I wouldn't expect so, when real life happens there usually aren't any real timetables.

No clue, his last post on this thread was about 3 weeks ago now and I havent seen anything to give an indication when life will ease up on him. Considering the time of year who knows if he'll get some more time or have even less time avalible to do anything.

Perhaps someone can help me with this. The mod is working beautifully, except when I try to attach any thermal engine to any antimatter reactor the thrust output on straight liquid fuel caps at 375 and LFO at about 2200. Has this issue been brought up or resolved yet?

The methane engine that we have is meant as a Kerbin first-stage engine like the SpaceX Raptor it's based on, so the methane tanks we have are based on the LFO tanks you would most likely find in a first stage. In that application, it shouldn't require any different construction techniques than similarly sized stock engines and tanks.

If you didn't realize that the methane engine performs somewhere between a Mainsail and a KR-1x2 LFB, you might have put it on a rocket that would be better off with a smaller engine. To give any more specific advice, I'd need to know about what aero system you're in, what your ascent profile looks like, and what the rockets you've tried have looked like.

Thanks for the prompt reply (apologies on my end, I check this only intermittently...)

I am using FAR, and have had to relearn a little bit about rocket design, but I find that the rocket just tumbles end over end at the turn point. I figured the center of mass is off balance, so I've been trying to design accordingly, but my other rockets do not behave a such. I just assumed the launcher weight was a lot less at that point in the flight. I'll figure it out after I spend time fixing the attachment points on the alum booster, using that patch i read a ways back.

As for the different tank sizes, I just recall the methane engine flavortext (or the wiki?) stating it would open new options for planetary exploration, which I assumed meant using it as a a lander/return vehicle on Duna using fuel made from there. Landing that office-block sized tank planetside just seemed awkward in that context. That's all.

Plus, I think aerospike engines look cool - the methane one looks realistic, but flimsy. :)

If I get the chance, I might try and post something for ya to comment on; i just play this game casual, so don't expect Elon Musk levels of forsight or engineering efficiency.

I am using FAR, and have had to relearn a little bit about rocket design, but I find that the rocket just tumbles end over end at the turn point. I figured the center of mass is off balance, so I've been trying to design accordingly, but my other rockets do not behave a such. I just assumed the launcher weight was a lot less at that point in the flight. I'll figure it out after I spend time fixing the attachment points on the alum booster, using that patch i read a ways back.

As for the different tank sizes, I just recall the methane engine flavortext (or the wiki?) stating it would open new options for planetary exploration, which I assumed meant using it as a a lander/return vehicle on Duna using fuel made from there. Landing that office-block sized tank planetside just seemed awkward in that context. That's all.

Plus, I think aerospike engines look cool - the methane one looks realistic, but flimsy. :)

My FAR launchers typically leave the launch pad with a TWR of 1.4 to 1.6 g. Much faster than that and they get hard to control. By watching what I was doing on successful launches, I found a rule of thumb of pitching over 5 degrees every 50 m/s (i.e. 85 degrees as you pass through 50 m/s, 80 degrees at 100 m/s, etc.). Depending on exactly how my TWR changes in flight, I usually pass through 45 degrees and 450 m/s at 10-12 km, at which point I follow the bottom half of the prograde marker down to the horizon. Try to set up your fin arrangements so FAR shows you moderately stable (I shoot for Cm between -0.5 and -2) out to +-8-10 degrees angle of attack through the full range of speeds and fuel conditions. If you go by the in-game center of mass and center of lift markers, look for the CL to be moderately behind the CM. Different rockets need different amounts of margin, so learning to use the FAR graphs will help you get the hang of it. Again, anything you learn with a Mainsail and stock tanks should carry straight over to the methalox launchers.

Based on the flavor text and spindly appearance of the engine, I thought it was a lander/return vehicle engine at first too. The concept of in-situ methalox production will open up new possibilities like the flavor text says, but doing it in Interstellar will have to wait until someone contributes parts that aren't launch vehicle parts. Looking at the Firefly design, I'd suggest doing its plug aerospike as a 1.25m engine, fitting the role of "small launch vehicle," and then a smaller engine based on fitting one of its eight combustion chambers with a standard vacuum-optimized bell nozzle.