[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

In inline version of these to go along with them would be perfect! :)

I could see about making further versions however I am afraid I do not understand what you mean by an inline version, are you requesting one that allows you to put other parts in a space between the reactor and the nozzle like this?

yMESbHb.png

Here is the download for the one I made, it uses existing code in interstellar for a part like this and appears to work fine, I have seen some reports that it can cause some wonky thermal performance however I have not been able to determine if those problems are confined to issues with the thermal helper in the VAB or if there are additional problems after launch, in order to properly configure your radiators I would suggest putting them on before any thermal adapters with a little extra just in case and then adding any needed thermal adapters, the .rar just needs to be unpacked into "Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Utility" and the part description includes all further info.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpwq84f3p593mwo/ThermalAdapter.rar?dl=0

I've just tested your parts and when I try to feed two engines from the one reactor one gets power the other does not, not sure if this is intended or not.

Random question about the Science Lab, as I'm highly forgetful and quite embarrassed to ask. I've glanced the wiki and just want to make sure, so here goes.

To keep the lab working long term, orbit or surface, it requires the crew of 2, decent battery capacity and standard method of energy generation, a reactor and a generator, and enough radiators to cover the wasteheat right? The SAFE 1500 and the 62.5 Elec Genny should be enough?

I've started a new KSPI game for 0.25 and am just up to a point where I want my first long term orbital lab. I had a similar set up back in 0.23 I believe, but have had a bit of a mental block, hence the embarrassment.

Any replies welcome and appreciated!

From my experience, to make a Science Lab work long term in Space/Mun, you need at least 1.25 40MW Reactor +1.25 Brayton Generator and 2 Normal sized Heat Radiators to generate the 5+ MW long term. The reason is that it's efficiency is only about 15% and to get it more efficient by adding more radiators is simply not worth the extra weight.

Edited by FreeThinker

http://i.imgur.com/EEjRHIo.png

There are no fuel lines. As you can see it's very straightforward, just an ISRU refinery on top of a battery, an SAS unit, and a science lab, with the 2 aluminium rockets underneath (clipped to take advantage of their weird nodes!). If you look at the info windows you can see it is saying there is insufficient oxygen.

So the refinery and the rockets are not touching, but if the aluminium produced in the refinery is making in to the engines, then it doesn't make much sense that the Oxidiser wouldn't be because of an absence of fuel lines.

I played with this a bit more this weekend, but still can't get it to produce any oxidiser.

Thats odd. Also its a bit hard to tell due the way that left window is wraping the text but it looks like it may be reporting insufficient oxygen storage not just insufficient oxygen. The relative spacing leads me to suspect that storage is part of that status line and not the one reporting power usage. Still strange as oxidizer and aluminum should both be stack priority search so if one can get to the rocket both should. If you've got KAS I'd recommend haveing a kerbal slap a pipe on there set to fuel line just in case and see if it starts working. Other than that I've got no clue as to why it isnt working. You could probably edit the configs to put a small amount of oxidizer storage space in the refinery itself and see if it produces anything (may need a persist edit of the craft as well)

If none of that works I can only guess either a bug in this version or some oddball mod conflict

Hey Fractal,

KSPI nuclear engines require Nozzle be directly attached to Reactor part... i.e. FNNozzleControllerFX attached to InterstellarFissionMSRGC. would a engine part work with both modules in a single part? or does the mechanics require a stack node attachment? same question goes for Radiator module. ThermalPower and WasteHeat both have same flowMode, but work differently.

Also... how is the radiator panel glow animations triggered? I see animName for deploy animation.

thanks!

Edited by nli2work

I'm confused. Why is Interstellar still using TreeLoader in new current version while [0.25] TechManager Version 1.5

does a better job of adding technodes.

Mostly because the last time Fractal posted an updated version was before the creation of TechManager. I believe the next updated version will indeed use TechManager, as Fractal is now aware that TreeLoader is currently nonfunctional (I believe the problem was discovered after he posted version 0.13).

Hey all,

I seem to have two problems when I have interstellar loaded. 1. Is the research bug which I will try with the tree loader fix and the other I can't seem to find any inf on.

When I go to place intakes or other "plane parts" they don't stick on my vessel and I get a expetion null error. When this happens I can't place any new parts and I have to hit the new button and try to rebuild.. Any clue?

I have the same Bug, I tested every mod I have in a new install.

It seems to be something in the Open Ressource system/Pack mod.

I have encountered a somewhat esoteric problem with the DT-Vista when building a rather excessive Jool-mission monster-craft. When multiple engines are used on the same vehicle, the module that controls the engine operation caps the trust of the set of engines at 1100kN, rather than allowing each of them to throttle individually. At present, I've had to create my own dummy-engine copy of equivalent thrust, but of course the Isp-throttling is unfortunately lost.

I haven't attempted to dig into the nitty-gritty of how the module is written, but might we see this deficiency corrected in the future? I can imagine it being a potentially simple fix.

Edited by erik_t
Fixing italic tags

Mostly because the last time Fractal posted an updated version was before the creation of TechManager. I believe the next updated version will indeed use TechManager, as Fractal is now aware that TreeLoader is currently nonfunctional (I believe the problem was discovered after he posted version 0.13).

Well if that's the case he should realy have released a hotfix which only specifically fixes this problem, or at least mention it in the OP . Now people will repeatably get the same problems

I have encountered a somewhat esoteric problem with the DT-Vista when building a rather excessive Jool-mission monster-craft. When multiple engines are used on the same vehicle, the module that controls the engine operation caps the trust of the set of engines at 1100kN, rather than allowing each of them to throttle individually. At present, I've had to create my own dummy-engine copy of equivalent thrust, but of course the Isp-throttling is unfortunately lost.

I haven't attempted to dig into the nitty-gritty of how the module is written, but might we see this deficiency corrected in the future? I can imagine it being a potentially simple fix.

I'm looking at the source code for VistaEngineController, and I don't see anything that could cause one engine to affect another. The first thing I would look at is power: are your reactors delivering the 2.5 GW power requirement per engine? A screenshot of the power management window while you're trying to fire the engines would help to rule that out.

I've just tested your parts and when I try to feed two engines from the one reactor one gets power the other does not, not sure if this is intended or not.

I haven't run into that problem in testing, could you post a picture with the reactor monitor and thermal management windows open, and possibly with the right click menu of each of the radial thermal adapters as well.

Well if that's the case he should realy have released a hotfix which only specifically fixes this problem, or at least mention it in the OP . Now people will repeatably get the same problems

While it would have been nice, real life has been hiting him hard. Frankly were lucky he had time to get it as funtional as he did. He originally thought he was going to have to code his own replacement for tree loader when the issue croped up and he's not had time for much more than a "I'm still alive" post since tech manager became a thing. It is unfortunate that the same problem pops up every other page however even modifying the OP would have a dubious effect on this. I've seen people ask about the broken tech tree when someone else answered the same question a post or two before. Sadly many people neither read OP's or the last few pages before posting about problems they have.

So, I'm having an issue with the Open Resource plugin. Everything works fine launching from the rocket pad; however, when trying to launch any and all space planes they are immediately transported into a devoid vacuum and destroyed ect, ect. This problem is fixed when I removed the OR plugin. Also, intakes don't generate IntakeAtm; also the plasma thrusters have a constantly active animation. So, three questions / problems. Does anyone know the fixes? I use a multitude of mods and using Tech Manager and not treeloader.

Also, the plasma thrusters aren't requiring electric charge and will run simply on a miniscule amount of fuel.

Edited by Druitz

So, I'm having an issue with the Open Resource plugin. Everything works fine launching from the rocket pad; however, when trying to launch any and all space planes they are immediately transported into a devoid vacuum and destroyed ect, ect. This problem is fixed when I removed the OR plugin. Also, intakes don't generate IntakeAtm; also the plasma thrusters have a constantly active animation. So, three questions / problems. Does anyone know the fixes? I use a multitude of mods and using Tech Manager and not treeloader.

Also, the plasma thrusters aren't requiring electric charge and will run simply on a miniscule amount of fuel.

I dont know about some of your other problems but the one I bolded is typically the result of a bad install. Either the mod was installed incorrectly, the initial download was somehow corrupted, or you are using the wrong version of the mod for the KSP version you are on. Either way I recommend freshly downloading the mod, completely deleting the old folders and install fresh (replace treeloader of course). That should fix the plasma thruster issue and might clear up the others if they have a similar cause.

If that fails you'll need to post more info so we can troubleshoot. KSP version(32 or 64 bit?), KSPI version, preferably a list of mods and a link to the error logs.

I think this mod is seriously broken. None of the engines are working, the reactors aren't generating charged particles, the canisters aren't registering attachment to a surface, and the game doesn't register Megajoules as a resource. Is this happening for anyone else? As far as I know, I'm not doing anything wrong, and I even tried a direct copy from a plane I know works. It didn't even move...

This is the third time I've installed this mod, and the previous 2 from a while back had the same issues, so I'm sorry to say that I could never recommend this to anyone, and I will advise the friends I know in real life who play this game to stay away from this.

I haven't noticed anyone else bringing up these problems, which suggests to me it could be an installation issue. However, nothing in the installation manual states a different step from what I did, so that proves it is a mod issue. Please test a mod before you release it.

I think this mod is seriously broken.

-snip-

I haven't noticed anyone else bringing up these problems, which suggests to me it could be an installation issue. However, nothing in the installation manual states a different step from what I did, so that proves it is a mod issue. Please test a mod before you release it.

Mod works for me and many others here. There are a couple of outstanding bugs in the current version due to the mod author being unable to do more than a recompile update for the .25 patch but most can be fixed by community MM patches and replacing a third party mod that Lithobreaked on the surface of .25. That said what you discribe does sound more like a faulty install than any of the known issues with the current version. Well either that or you dont understand the mod mechanics and did something horribly wrong.

I recommend you take a deep breath, calm down, and try to give us some information that would actually allow us to help you. Your impassioned rant really did not tell us much that could actually determine the cause of your issue. Without that theres not much beyond stock instructions we could tell you to fix it.

-Confirm your useing KSP .25

-Confirm your useing 32 bit KSP and not 64 bit if your OS is not Linux (few people suport 64bit windows because its buggy as hell)

-Redownload KSPI .13

-Delete any copies of the files/folders in the download from your installs Gamedata folder before copying over the freshly downloaded ones

-Delete the treeloader folder and go install the mod "Tech Manager" (this restores the tree functionality for career)

Ideally use the above steps on a clean, unmodded install of KSP (a separate copy is fine) to ensure mod interaction is not the problem.

There are a few MM patches you could apply that are detailed somewhere over the last 20odd pages of the thread but those mostly fix misplaced nodes on a few parts and are not needed for an initial troubleshooting test. you can at least check mechanics without those.

If you still cant get the mod to work we need something to work with. Version data on KSP and the mod. Error logs. Screen shots of any craft that are not working as expected with relivent menus vissable so we can see whats happening.

I must have identified this problem with a previous KSPI version, because everything is hunky-dory now and works as it should.

That'll teach me not to check one last time before complaining...

Mod works for me and many others here. There are a couple of outstanding bugs in the current version due to the mod author being unable to do more than a recompile update for the .25 patch but most can be fixed by community MM patches and replacing a third party mod that Lithobreaked on the surface of .25. That said what you discribe does sound more like a faulty install than any of the known issues with the current version. Well either that or you dont understand the mod mechanics and did something horribly wrong.

I recommend you take a deep breath, calm down, and try to give us some information that would actually allow us to help you. Your impassioned rant really did not tell us much that could actually determine the cause of your issue. Without that theres not much beyond stock instructions we could tell you to fix it.

-Confirm your useing KSP .25

-Confirm your useing 32 bit KSP and not 64 bit if your OS is not Linux (few people suport 64bit windows because its buggy as hell)

-Redownload KSPI .13

-Delete any copies of the files/folders in the download from your installs Gamedata folder before copying over the freshly downloaded ones

-Delete the treeloader folder and go install the mod "Tech Manager" (this restores the tree functionality for career)

Ideally use the above steps on a clean, unmodded install of KSP (a separate copy is fine) to ensure mod interaction is not the problem.

There are a few MM patches you could apply that are detailed somewhere over the last 20odd pages of the thread but those mostly fix misplaced nodes on a few parts and are not needed for an initial troubleshooting test. you can at least check mechanics without those.

If you still cant get the mod to work we need something to work with. Version data on KSP and the mod. Error logs. Screen shots of any craft that are not working as expected with relivent menus vissable so we can see whats happening.

Mariyate has confirmed the installation procedure and has even re-ordered some folders itself. That rules out any possibility of an installation issue.

I doubt this version actually works with .25 and some people are just using the older version, or the save files have been edited accordingly to allow them to be used.

There doesn't seem to be a cause of the issue linked to my server. If Mariyate can't find an issue, it's not there.

I am using .25

I never use KSP.64.B

This is my third time installing it, the last when .25 was released and interstellar was updated

Mariyate has removed any folders not usable in a way that is tangent to the way I play, and did a great job at it to.

This is a new installation of KSP, since I had to reinstall due to the Hotrockets mod, which also doesn't work.

Mariyate makes any in-game data changes for me if a problem is found. Patches are phased out completely by new data files.

I can provide screenshots, but those can't convey any issues, as all data is displayed perfectly, but the functionality is what's at fault here. What I can do is explain the situation tailored to each part, but those will be reserved for their own replies, because they would make this reply incredibly long.

In other words, ask about a part and I will tell you the faults.

Hello!

A general question to KSPI users: Is having the science lab in Low Kerbin Orbit worth it if put on "generate science" mode? The numbers on it's wiki page mean very little to me, I'm afraid. I'm asking because I'm finally getting around to creating a "ISS-a-like" with modded parts, having made one in the stock game some time ago.

This mockup is constructed from the modules that I have thus far:

http://postimg.org/image/mbe5tbz0j/

http://postimg.org/image/5s2ug7ljn/

Currently I'm designing my Destiny Lab equivelent and am toying with different labortories as it's base. Other than KSPI and stock labs, I have recently added Station Science to help make this enterprise worthwhile, though I am debating how much use it will actually be.

I prefer to create replicas from "non specific" mods, such as the Stock-a-like Station Parts, as opposed to using mods such as the, albeit fantastic, FusTek Station Parts pack, which "kerbalises" the real designs. In premise, the KSPI lab is precisely what I'm after for it's first lab. However, how rewarding is it in Low Kerbin Orbit?

Edited by Lei07
formatting

Mariyate has confirmed the installation procedure and has even re-ordered some folders itself. That rules out any possibility of an installation issue.

Who or what is Mariyate? I have not heard of it and so have no basis to have faith in the validity of your statement.

I doubt this version actually works with .25 and some people are just using the older version, or the save files have been edited accordingly to allow them to be used.

Cute... you basically just called me a liar. It does work for me, this is fact. Even the unmodified version direct from the download link does with the caveat of a borked tech tree in career but sandbox works fine.

There doesn't seem to be a cause of the issue linked to my server.

Server? are you trying to get this to work with one of the multilayer mods? If so I cant advise you as I have no experience with them. IF so might I recommend trying again on a local install before throwing added variables into the mix?

If Mariyate can't find an issue, it's not there.

Mariyate has removed any folders not usable in a way that is tangent to the way I play, and did a great job at it to.

This is a new installation of KSP, since I had to reinstall due to the Hotrockets mod, which also doesn't work.

Mariyate makes any in-game data changes for me if a problem is found. Patches are phased out completely by new data files.

Ok from this I can at least infer that mariyate is probably an automated mod installer/manager of some form. Try again, manually. You may think its doing a wonderful job. However if its moving things around or removing things it is entirely possible its removing something the mod actually needs or putting parts somewhere it does not expect. That adds far to many variables to have a hope of trouble shooting. Considering at least one other mod that is fairly popular apparently fails to work when you let Mariyate handle the install I would be looking at Mariyate as the likely problem.

quick question, my basic fusion reactors, the 2.5 and 3.75 ones don't have their LqdDeuterium or LqdTritium as resources and all they have is lithium which it wont run off of. I mean those resources aren't even in the config file. Am i missing something?

in .13 they were changed to not have an internal tank, you need to attach a storage container to the ship somewhere such as the cryostats. If the resources are avalible on the ship the reactor will draw from the appropriate tanks.