[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

So I am done with "no cloud" HD at 16kx8k.. that was easy ,) Testing in-game first though... by the way, saving this document to PNG took 3 minutes ;P .. let's hope it doesn't need that long to load it.

You making a High res planets?

ok I tested the map in HD ( 4K and 8k)

I think 8k is perfect for better graphics

16K map is 90 mo in PNG and does not work for me

I'm waiting for the clouds on Kerbin in 8k and a pack without

Compare

KSP 4K with cloud (Naaaaah I don't like)

oQk60dR.png

Yeah Baby !

TDXpRHe.png

Planet .. singular. Kerbin Only. And I still am in the testing phase.. I've seen some stitching errors in the original source that need fixing.

Sooooo...

a 16384 * 8192 png is only 88mb.. ;P

And sadly it doesn't actually LOAD... argh. Just a weird graphic error instead of planet Kerbin. Looks like Unity can't handle this texture res ,/ Testing with TGA.. maybe that works better.

Edited by eRe4s3r

Planet .. singular. Kerbin Only. And I still am in the testing phase.. I've seen some stitching errors in the original source that need fixing.

Ha, well by tommrow as I said I'm going to release an HD version of all planets and stars (I hope), what error did you get?

Convert not, but the map data is shifted horizontally. So we need to match it with Kerbin texture properly first. So you just want a plain Kerbin HD texture with no clouds?

Make sure you download the correct file, not the SRC (Source)

Aside that there should be folder structure in the archive like with all plugins....

Thanks, just realised I had to use an archive program (WinRAR for me) but I was going through the source one XD

So yeah, looks like KSP (or rather Unity) can't actually a load a texture with 16k*8k

[LOG 23:31:41.935] Load(Texture): UniverseReplacer/Textures/Planets/Kerbin/Kerbin1
[ERR 23:31:43.763] Texture has out of range widht / height
[EXC 23:31:43.769] UnityException: Failed to create texture because of invalid parameters.

Loads with 8kx4k though .. gonna test what the limit is.. hope not 8k...

VNfRXhFl.jpg

haha ;) Oh man.. that's Unity for ya...

Maximum Texture Resolution 9999x5000 This is obviously no good

9984 * 4992 is the highest "optimal" texture resolution we can have. Maybe we can convince Tingle to hack it so that the Kerbin1 texture loads as 2 halves. So we could have full quality planet texture.

Performance impact is NILL by the way. For me anyway. Doesn't really make me super happy.... only 60% of the resolution we could have

Edited by eRe4s3r

Trying to convert tif file into png file... taking 2 hours... anyone got any idea?

Edit: found an idea, Print Screen ftw

Got a plan for the next few days, tonight I'm going to make the HD pack and tommorow I'm gonna make the "Spin-Off" "Sol Moons"

Edited by eran100

Trying to convert tif file into png file... taking 2 hours... anyone got any idea?

Edit: found an idea, Print Screen ftw

Find a computer with more RAM? Photoshop is nuking my PC with the 16K Tiffs.

You can crank it up to 9984 * 4992

Should I post the kerbin1.png with clouds at 9984 * 4992? It'd take a while to upload (70mb)

would you be willing to do the same with Duna (but 3068 x 1529)? I've got Duna and Eve at that size 'HD'

would you be willing to do the same with Duna (but 3068 x 1529)? I've got Duna and Eve at that size 'HD'

I won't guarantee it.. This doesn't produce quite the result I wanted. There is still more resolution needed for it to "work" at a 150k orbit. (9k is enough for 300km orbit though)

Here is how it looks (Imgur Album)

Kerbin Map Data + Nasa Clouds

http://imgur.com/a/KGQS7#0

Stock Texture

http://imgur.com/a/Wyd7c#0

But yes, the difference to the normal planet texture is quite drastic. Sadly it gets away with low res because of 0 details. With more details, we need more res... ;/

As it seems we also need more BUMP resolution.. oh boy... no idea how to make that texture

Edited by eRe4s3r

I won't guarantee it.. This doesn't produce quite the result I wanted. There is still more resolution needed for it to "work" at a 120k orbit.

Here is how it looks (Imgur Album)

http://imgur.com/a/KGQS7#0

Wow, that looks good, well, I foud out that the textures I used for HD Kerbin were not in place and cannot be fixen... How can I make A picture HD and at 9948*4992?

Sorry eran100 I can't help you do this ;) The link to the maps is https://mega.co.nz/#F!8EAnSL5Z!OAyLBQqrQtlmfL0GT8fcQg!EBYyXRxA

But it requires a massively beefy PC to edit. And some skills as well, since it isn't aligned.

Ok, so anyway, last quest is to get the "bump" in at that resolution. That is causing some issues with the clouds, since clouds + planet obviously need their own bump map at least at half the resolution, but why do that, when there is overkill to be had ;P The problem is, I don't get what the bump texture is supposed to even *be* isn't a normal map I have ever seen.

Yeah I thought I was doing something wrong when I tried converting it myself, but yeah I guess it doesn't support 16k textures. It does look really nice even at 8k, the difference is huge:

Before

333gw47.png

After

166axjq.png

I have two question for you, one is how did you make this, and two can I have download link?

Sorry eran100 I can't help you do this ;) The link to the maps is https://mega.co.nz/#F!8EAnSL5Z!OAyLBQqrQtlmfL0GT8fcQg!EBYyXRxA

But it requires a massively beefy PC to edit. And some skills as well, since it isn't aligned.

Ok, so anyway, last quest is to get the "bump" in at that resolution. That is causing some issues with the clouds, since clouds + planet obviously need their own bump map at least at half the resolution, but why do that, when there is overkill to be had ;P The problem is, I don't get what the bump texture is supposed to even *be* isn't a normal map I have ever seen.

Well, Atleast I can put other plantes texutres... I'll use the cloud mod for the ones with atmosphere and the hd for non atmosphere!

Edit: FFS double post

But it requires a massively beefy PC to edit.

Does it? I know nothing about actually aligning the texture, but resizing from 16k to 9k-somethinglike took almost no time on my rather old and not beefy pc (Intel E8400 - 2x 3GHz + 4GB 800Mhz CL5 I think). Same for saving file as png. Just a few secs (sex hehehehehehe)...

So yeah, looks like KSP (or rather Unity) can't actually a load a texture with 16k*8k

Maximum Texture Resolution 9999x5000 This is obviously no good

9984 * 4992 is the highest "optimal" texture resolution we can have. Maybe we can convince Tingle to hack it so that the Kerbin1 texture loads as 2 halves. So we could have full quality planet texture.

Performance impact is NILL by the way. For me anyway. Doesn't really make me super happy.... only 60% of the resolution we could have

This isn't an issue with Unity. Instead it is a fundamental restriction of DirectX's Direct3D feature specification. You need to have directX 10 or 11 level hardware and rendering to support textures of those sizes. It's quite possible that Unity has it's own hardcoded limits. If that is the case, they would most likely be restricting at around 8192 x 8192.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476876(v=vs.85).aspx

You can force DirectX 11 rendering in Unity with this command line switch.-force-d3d11 Keep in mind that this only applies to Windows based operating systems, and you'll still need to have the right hardware and OS. In the case of Mac and Linux, Unity will run to OpenGl specification for rendering.

This isn't an issue with Unity. Instead it is a fundamental restriction of DirectX's Direct3D feature specification. You need to have directX 10 or 11 level hardware and rendering to support textures of those sizes. It's quite possible that Unity has it's own hardcoded limits. If that is the case, they would most likely be restricting at around 8192 x 8192.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ff476876(v=vs.85).aspx

You can force DirectX 11 rendering in Unity with this command line switch.-force-d3d11 Keep in mind that this only applies to Windows based operating systems, and you'll still need to have the right hardware and OS. In the case of Mac and Linux, Unity will run to OpenGl specification for rendering.

Interesting.. and thank you for this info. Will test whether that switch makes the 16k original texture load, because that'd be absolutely mindblowing awesome.

Does it? I know nothing about actually aligning the texture, but resizing from 16k to 9k-somethinglike took almost no time on my rather old and not beefy pc (Intel E8400 - 2x 3GHz + 4GB 800Mhz CL5 I think). Same for saving file as png. Just a few secs (sex hehehehehehe)...

Yeah re-aligning and converting to PNG + clouds I meant.. takes quite a toll. The compression for PNG runs only on 1 core, and is extremely slow at 16000+ resolutions...

Edited by eRe4s3r