EPILOGUE

A few weeks later...

Bill: “Jeb? Looks like it's finally time to go home.â€Â

Jeb: “We have our Kerbin transfer window?â€Â

Bill: “That we do. We have a few days.â€Â

Jeb: “Bob, tell Odysseus in case they haven't noticed.â€Â

Bob: “Aye.â€Â

Jeb: “Lengas, Malrick, how's the engine?â€Â

Lengas: “Ready as she'll ever be, Jeb. Even the Krakensbane device couldn't wipe that bad boy out.â€Â

Malrick: “Other systems are fully operational, captain.â€Â

Jeb: “Hmm. Doc, buckle up!†*Pats Handorf on back of shoulder*

Handorf: “Sigh...â€Â

Dilcott: “Jeb, we're good to go. Maintain flying formation?â€Â

Jeb: “You bet. Bill?â€Â

Bill: “Course plotted, Kerbin encounter confirmed. We can burn when ready.â€Â

Jeb: “No moons tampering with our trajectory this time?â€Â

Bill: “Not even Tylo.â€Â

Jeb: “Excellent.â€Â

AODI: “Jebediah, I would like to point out that maintaining our current flight formation will be difficult in interplanetary space.â€Â

Dilcott: “We'll be fine AODI.â€Â

Jeb: “Yes, AODI... still a bit weird talking to a computer.â€Â

AODI: “I understand.â€Â

Jeb: “Alright then.â€Â

KSC: “You do know that when you get back, things won't be as you remember them?â€Â

Jeb: “We've been out here for, what, 5 years now? Things will always be different no matter what when you're gone for that long.â€Â

KSC: “The space centre is a pile of rubble at the moment. When it's rebuilt, you may even have a tower to buzz.â€Â

Jeb: “You're joking.â€Â

KSC: “Definitely not joking, but buzzing the tower will be frowned upon.â€Â

Jeb: “Even for me?â€Â

KSC: “Maybe we'll let you, once or twice...â€Â

Jeb: “Yes!â€Â

Bob: “Oh boy...â€Â

Bill: “Bad move, control.â€Â

Jeb: “What, you don't trust me?â€Â

Bill: “Of course we do. It's just that, err...â€Â

Jeb: “I won't crash into the newly built control tower, I promise.â€Â

KSC: “That's why we said you could buzz it once or twice. Anyway, we're all looking forward to your return, as well as the return of Odysseus. Until then, safe travels. Control out.â€Â

Jeb: “Awesome.â€Â

Handorf: “Hey, uh, I hate to rush you, but we have a transfer to complete.â€Â

Jeb: “Oh right, yeah yeah yeah. Buckle in guys, we're going home!â€Â

…

We've always been a daring species. It's in our nature. Spaceflight has been the most challenging and rewarding thing we've ever done. The first Mun landings, discovering the planets...

It was only a matter of time until we claimed the stars.

xZ12ZEI.jpg

We had everything planned out for as far as we could. Outreach Colony would be a major milestone in our expansion into the lonely black.

vXnmHDe.jpg

The ties between two neighbouring worlds grew ever stronger, predominantly brought about by the Libra LBR-030-A. That venerable little ship will live in history forever.

1lQc9Ca.jpg

Odysseus was the most ambitious mission ever undertaken. To explore the moons of Jool in such detail had always been a prime goal for those of us with our eyes turned skyward. Not only was the mission a resounding success, but the build-up led to many technological advances that have benefited the entirety of our species.

tL6xBBg.jpg

Our daring nature knew no bounds. Project Farpoint was easily the more tricky mission we've had to accomplish, but accomplish it we did. The coldest, loneliest, furthermost known planet was finally set foot upon.

And even with all this daring that our nature gave us, we were almost brushed aside by a malevolent force that wanted nothing more than to extinguish the lights of our society. Nevertheless, our resistance has assured us of our place in the future of the cosmos.

4vGP7XB.jpg

Even with the horrendous circumstances that have befallen us, we clamour back to our feet. A new space centre stands on the ruins of the past, a beacon to all who need it. We will rebuild all that was taken from us. We now have a fresh start ahead of us, a chance to advance.

Once more, our nature leads the way.

Ad astra per aspera.

FcGlE7rl.jpg

Wow, great epilogue! Now, I guess there's a grand tour in store for us :) (at least, I hope...)

As much as I'd like to do one right now, as I feel I am able, I want to wait until we have more planets to look around, extend the mission as much as possible. I don't know how long that'll be though :(

However, I have an idea for a short story...

And so it concludes. It was a fun ride, RogueMason.

I also notice you haven't done anything with Moho or Dres yet... Saving those for future stories, perhaps?

Moho and Dres. 2 pain the a** targets that have very little going for them. Granted, I'm literally about to run a mission to Dres and I did an unmanned flyby of Moho a few weeks ago, but still, I doubt I'll have anything worthwhile about those two until I get a grand tour mission in the works. As I mentioned a few posts ago, that grand tour won't happen until more planets are added.

Moho and Dres. 2 pain the a** targets that have very little going for them. Granted, I'm literally about to run a mission to Dres and I did an unmanned flyby of Moho a few weeks ago, but still, I doubt I'll have anything worthwhile about those two until I get a grand tour mission in the works. As I mentioned a few posts ago, that grand tour won't happen until more planets are added.

Please do Dres. I have had an unhealthy obsession ever since I landed on Duna. The Place is cursed you know! No, but seriously, both of my missions there have Derped in one way or another. The first one broke into bits, and the second one I forgot landing legs on. Though, both could be chalked up to pilot error, I still would love to see you do something like it :).

Please do Dres. I have had an unhealthy obsession ever since I landed on Duna. The Place is cursed you know! No, but seriously, both of my missions there have Derped in one way or another. The first one broke into bits, and the second one I forgot landing legs on. Though, both could be chalked up to pilot error, I still would love to see you do something like it :).

Jeb: "Hey, uh, why is that ship that's meant to be going to Dres today not going to Dres?"

Gene: "Bobsey?"

Bobsey: "Well, err, for some reason, we can't even get an encounter with it. We have the right phase angles and everything, but for some reason, we can't hit it without using a lot of delta-V."

Gene: "Ugh..."

Jeb: "You got Bill to try and plot a trajectory?"

Gene: "He's, err... he's curled up in the corner over there with his thumb in his mouth. He tried and tried and tried to get an encounter..."

Bill: "I can... I must... no no no, need encounter... AH!!" *More blubbering*

Jeb: "Damn, not even Bill?!"

Gene: "I guess we'll try the next transfer window then. For now, contact Plan-Ex. I want a Gilly probe for the next Eve window."

That pretty much sums up what just happened to me :0.0:

Jeb: "Hey, uh, why is that ship that's meant to be going to Dres today not going to Dres?"

Bobsey: "Well, err, for some reason, we can't even get an encounter with it. We have the right phase angles and everything, but for some reason, we can't hit it without using a lot of delta-V."

Gene: "He's, err... he's curled up in the corner over there with his thumb in his mouth. He tried and tried and tried to get an encounter..."

Gene: "I guess we'll try the next transfer window then. For now, contact Plan-Ex. I want a Gilly probe for the next Eve window."

lol it sounds like my unmanned probe

Anyone else think that the kraken's leader will show up and give Jebediah three choices,l to control, combine or destroy the mechanikraken. and each one will have a blue, red or green explosion. XD No but seriously good story

Edited by towermaster2

Anyone else think that the kraken's leader will show up and give Jebediah three choices,l to control, combine or destroy the mechanikraken. and each one will have a blue, red or green explosion. XD No but seriously good story

Doubt that my creation would even do that. He would never let those happen.

You know, I did it. If I can do it, you can do it. All you need is a 2 man lander can, 2 NERVAs, a X200-16 fuel tank, docked to a jumbo. That has a fuel margin of error of a lot. I did it, and I landed without landing legs.

You know, I did it. If I can do it, you can do it. All you need is a 2 man lander can, 2 NERVAs, a X200-16 fuel tank, docked to a jumbo. That has a fuel margin of error of a lot. I did it, and I landed without landing legs.

It's not a fuel issue, I've been there twice now (just sent a probe). The problem at that point was that I actually could not hit it for the life of me without spending a ridiculous amount of delta-v to get there. It was being very... elusive. Nevermind, Plan-Ex now have a probe around Dres, and the manned mission should follow soon enough :)

It's not a fuel issue, I've been there twice now (just sent a probe). The problem at that point was that I actually could not hit it for the life of me without spending a ridiculous amount of delta-v to get there. It was being very... elusive. Nevermind, Plan-Ex now have a probe around Dres, and the manned mission should follow soon enough :)

It's not that hard! I keep telling you!

Just don't forget the landing legs :)

Weird. I've never had much problem with getting to Dres. Once i've even did extended mission using my Duna ship. I had plenty of dV left, Dres was in perfect position - and so i went for it. Too bad i couldn't take my Duna lander along, so there was no landing.

I know it isn't hard to reach Dres even with its inclination and eccentricity. The point I was trying to make was that even when fiddling with the manoeuvre nodes, the only encounters I'd get with it would be ones that cost me delta-v that would normally be used on a Jool mission. It must have been a dodgy angle between Kerbin and Dres for this one time, because the next transfer window I had was flawless, and so I sent the probe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.