How Stable Is 21.1 For You?

NeoMorph

Runs fine over here. Well, until I go over my RAM budget with mods. Thankfully, with the optimization of some of said mods, my budget has been growing (Thanks Bac9). I hope I can figure out how to do something similar to KW, because that's one of my favorites, but it's very nearly half a gig...

I edited my save file for permadeath. If any orange suits die and come back with that flag set I'm gonna be pissed.

Always just used Crew Manifest for that one.

Edited by espm400

I generally only crash if I alt-tab out of it, since I play fullscreen and it doesn't like being alt-tabbed out of if it's fullscreen...

I don't really use very many mods though.

Edited by Tiron

No crashes, but I've noticed that after 6 to 8 hours (or more) map mode gets all kinds of wonky jittery and I have to completely shut down and restart KSP to fix it. If its a memory issue, its with allocated RAM not system ram (I've got 16 G, but the game didn't even have a full 2G allocated when the problem first happened). This was vanilla, by the way, so it isn't mods.

I'm about to leave the game running all night (finally installed some mods today) so I'll be expecting it to be crazy when I wake up and check it before heading out to work.

No crashes, but I've noticed that after 6 to 8 hours (or more) map mode gets all kinds of wonky jittery and I have to completely shut down and restart KSP to fix it. If its a memory issue, its with allocated RAM not system ram (I've got 16 G, but the game didn't even have a full 2G allocated when the problem first happened). This was vanilla, by the way, so it isn't mods.

I'm about to leave the game running all night (finally installed some mods today) so I'll be expecting it to be crazy when I wake up and check it before heading out to work.

If you're talking about your orbit getting jittery, it'll do that just by getting one that's exceptionally circular, which is caused by small rounding errors in the ancient physics system Unity uses. The same issue that caused the Space Kraken bug before they changed it to have your craft as the center of the universe, in essence, so that the difference in rounding errors for individual parts on your ship wouldn't get big enough to cause mysterious forces.

"I never thought to think of space as the thing that was moving!" <-basically what they meant when they said that they 'offloaded velocity to the universe'.

no problems except somewhat reduced performance, and that mainly near celestial bodies.

Did have Mechjeb get confused a few times and refusing to dock 2 craft after it got them aligned (it just sat there as they drifted apart), but relaunched both and it worked. And that's of course a glitch in Mechjeb, not the core game.

If you're talking about your orbit getting jittery, it'll do that just by getting one that's exceptionally circular, which is caused by small rounding errors in the ancient physics system Unity uses. The same issue that caused the Space Kraken bug before they changed it to have your craft as the center of the universe, in essence, so that the difference in rounding errors for individual parts on your ship wouldn't get big enough to cause mysterious forces.

"I never thought to think of space as the thing that was moving!" <-basically what they meant when they said that they 'offloaded velocity to the universe'.

This is the camera (or the objects you are looking at, depending on your point of view) jumping around like mad as you move it, separate from any orbit jitter from the "ancient physics system Unity uses." ;)

I was doing lots of modding and db reloading and didn't experience any instability. But then again, after moving to 21.1, I did purge a lot of crap I didn't ever use, so the memory load on the game being a lot lighter is probably the reason why I haven't crashed yet.

I was crashing a lot more than the previous version, like every other launch or so. Went and checked the forums here and found that telling KSP to only use 1 core is good if you're using a 32bit OS and to turn down the textures in the graphics options, which I had set to 'ultra pro realism omg wow dats amazing' levels.

Whichever of those that did the trick I neither know nor care, fact is the trick was did and now I don't crash at all.

Definitely takes longer to swap SOI when watching the map, nice few seconds pause as we cross the boundary but the loading from VAB to launch is quicker and smoother, definitely.

I haven't had any crashes that were the fault of the game (my computer is a bit messed up :() Loading times are a bit poor though, freezes briefly during the loading screens, and while transferring between sphere of influences.

Game is stable on my machine, albeit a tad slow loading up, slow getting to the space centre, slow from the VAB to the pad...generally slow transitions. Game plays fine at the current part count I am using (about 200 - 300 max) at the moment.

I am using the Steam version but launch the KSP.exe directly and dont have Steam running. Win 8 pro on a AMD Phenom II x 6 1090T CPU (3.2 ghz), 8 gigs RAM and 580 GTX.

I have a fair amount of mods : MechJeb2, Chatterer, Universe Replacer + Raredens 4k texture pack, KAS, Lazor Mod, Damned Robotics parts and Infernal Robotics Fork plugin with Magic Smoke Industries Slider, Aviation Lights and Kethane mod.

Hasnt crashed to desktop ever, touch wood.

Load times seem a bit dilatory, particularly when doing transitions from pre- to post-encounters.

Have had a few 'lockups' that required me to use Taskmanager to stop the app running (though not crashes per se) (6 to 8 at most) during the ~100 hours of play I've done. They do seem to have been a tad bit more common during the last ~10 hours of play since I installed a bunch of mods. Mostly they seem to happen at 'transition' points where the app is likely calculating a lot of stuff and especially when time warping at those sorts of periods.

Moto, how does one do that with a Steam app?

Run the game directly from the KSP.exe file. In fact, you can pretty much copy the Kerbal Space Program folder out of the Steam directory and it'll still run. I run from the exe to keep all the Steam cruft from running.

I have had several crashes so far. Some may be from mods, but sometimes, the game crashes when there is a collision involving a lot of parts. It wasn't caused by mods because it happened when I got a clean install of 0.21.

Run the game directly from the KSP.exe file. In fact, you can pretty much copy the Kerbal Space Program folder out of the Steam directory and it'll still run. I run from the exe to keep all the Steam cruft from running.

Thanks, that's a good idea. Not to mention, the game will load even if one cannot connect to Steam (i.e., during a brief Internet outage I had last night).

Now I just have to figure out how to tell KSP to use only one core (in a safe way, of course).

Edited by HeadHunter67

Moto, how does one do that with a Steam app?

The steam short cut doesn't allow u to run as admin when you right click it as you know. You have to go to the KSP.exe in the root folder. Right click that one and it will let you run as admin. Or you can create your own short cut onto your desktop and that will work as well.

Das ninja >.<

Edited by Motokid600

I've had many CTDs with 0.21, almost all due to memory filling up with mod parts. I've got 8GB of RAM, but many of the more detailed parts packs take up lots of space. I turned on Task Manager and you can watch the RAM fill up as the game loads. We really need the ability to do dynamic parts loading; perhaps create a custom profile for each save that lists the parts we want.

I never had a CTD even once with 0.20. I've taken to turning off extraneous peripheral programs, including Steam, when I run KSP: something I've never had to do before and don't do with any other game.

Thanks, that's a good idea. Not to mention, the game will load even if one cannot connect to Steam (i.e., during a brief Internet outage I had last night).

Now I just have to figure out how to tell KSP to use only one core (in a safe way, of course).

In Windows you can use the Task Manager (press ALT + CTRL + ESC) and find KSP.exe under details tab, then right-click Set Affinity , uncheck ALL CPU's, and check a CPU you want to use (dont use 0 that is the most used, I would use the highest number ...in my case 5).

Dont expect too much though... doesnt really do all that much in my case.

In Windows you can use the Task Manager (press ALT + CTRL + ESC) and find KSP.exe under details tab, then right-click Set Affinity , uncheck ALL CPU's, and check a CPU you want to use (dont use 0 that is the most used, I would use the highest number ...in my case 5).

Dont expect too much though... doesnt really do all that much in my case.

I find that I actually get lower performance if i set it to use only one core. Afaik unity still is party multicore even though it only uses one core for physics.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.