RocktCo Industries & Munar Institute of Technology. Soyuz and Kerbabl lander v1.2

Deusoverkill

I\'m thrusting at about half power on the first and second stages, should I crank it up a bit?

yes. As said, the optimized stage order is this:

stage1 : 4 boosters AND the core stage

stage2: decoupler

stage3: 3rd stage

etc.

You want to get out of the heavy gravity and the huge air resistance as soon as you can. Optimizing this might turn out that you should throttle down ( to perhaps 70% )above 14km ( when the air gets thinner alot ) - but optimizing this is hard. A very good rule of thumb that comes close to this is 'thrust as hard as you can without exploding ' - i\'m not kidding.

Gravity gets weaker exponentially the further you get away - get out of there fast.

Don\'t know if it works for this rocket, but I find I can lower the throttle a little once I\'m out of the lower atmosphere, or higher atmosphere at least. As I don\'t want to overshoot the mun, I tend to hold the speed of my rocket instead at 500-700m/s and then use the fuel saved to enter orbit. If I\'m doing it wrong, just say. :-[

It doesn\'t take many default parts to get this thing into orbit whole.

The first stage boosters aren\'t really built for use as a precision lander. Two seconds after taking this pic, it fell over and exploded.

IB5ZE.jpg

It doesn\'t take many default parts to get this thing into orbit whole.

The first stage boosters aren\'t really built for use as a precision lander. Two seconds after taking this pic, it fell over and exploded.

IB5ZE.jpg

In my pic the whole thing could have stayed there indefinitely. Then again. I did have the lander legs.

Also, I disagree with derhp. Maybe I\'m piloting it wrong, but I routinely use the third stage tank and engine to get to the Mun. I always worry that I don\'t have enough fuel.

Well this pack is presented as being realistically modeled. I take issue with that when I can achieve 1400m/s on the munar module alone, that is NOT realistic even by Kerbal standards. As it is I\'m dumping this pack until I see the munar module get a rebalance. At the moment it feels like a cheat part.

I found the model flies just fine when scaled to normal values.

The screen shot has values that I fine tuned after some test flights.

Proof of landing and return with modified values. When landing on the Mun, I almost forgot the descent tank, and kicked it off so low I actually landed partially on it. The angle from setting one landing leg set on the tank kicked me off to the side.

Well this pack is presented as being realistically modeled. I take issue with that when I can achieve 1400m/s on the munar module alone, that is NOT realistic even by Kerbal standards. As it is I\'m dumping this pack until I see the munar module get a rebalance. At the moment it feels like a cheat part.

Derhp. no need to be rude man, im aware that the release has some balance problems and it needs to be fine tunned. but its just the first release; and if we are talking about realistic, theres no way a soyuz can lift a module to the moon. you need something like saturn V, or N1 to do it, and im aware of that; what i wanted to achieve was a nice loking rocket that is fun to flight, and i think i succeded in that matter, even if it has some problems.

but hey! i missed the part where im forcing you to use it.

I found the model flies just fine when scaled to normal values. The screen shot has values that I fine tuned after some test flights.

Thanks Andras, i will look into this, and retest the complete rocket again, it would be great to make it work with standard values. :)

Deus, I set the gymbal range to 1* max for the rockets, and may have cranked up the SAS values for the command pod slightly, I don\'t recall exactly. The ASAS works nicely by itself, but makes the G meter read way high.

Modeled realistically and functioning / configured realistically are two entirely different things. A realistically-built model does not equal a realistically functioning craft. I would say the pack does an outstanding job of having the appearance of a Soyuz, though its part.cfg\'s might have variables modified for playability, and not realism.

And nowhere in the OP does it say that it\'s either modeled or configured for realism. In fact the first post to mention realism is yours.

And let\'s take it further: In the WiP forum the only mention of realism is when the color palettes were mentioned.

Ergo, you\'re putting words in the OP\'s mouth which as he said and I will also say, is pretty damn rude.

. but its just the first release; and if we are talking about realistic, theres no way a soyuz can lift a module to the moon.

Firstly I wasn\'t trying to be rude, once again I fall into the trap of talking to you like I talk to my clients. However, I still think the Munar module is overpowered. With 10% more fuel I could use it as an SSTO. This trivialises the doing a mun return.

Yes you\'re not forcing me to use it, so I\'ll just stick to using the Soyuz rocket itself to launch satallites from novas packs, which it does very well.

Hey,

Firstoff, thanks for this beautiful model - the texturing and the model are amazing!

As others have said already, though, its not much fun using - its like a modern box of Legos that only ever builds one toy. With the current values, it does make no sense to combine any of the parts with the other packs/parts. Which is - for me - most of KSPs fun, not what beauty I can build from one carefully balanced and thought-though pack, but what own creations I can come up with while combining Silisko with the BFE5000 ^^ (sorry, Nova, only metaphorically speaking here).

So its cute, i built the rocket once and launched it, and then deleted the parts again, cause they all fit together in exactly one way, and dont really combine with other packs. As some other poster already said, they feel like a cheat.

Okay, after all that, let me tell you again that this rocket is the most beautiful model I have seen in KSP so far. If Andras gets the values right, I am sure they will become very popular. And, if my critizism annoys you, dont forget that I would never be able to create something like that in the first place. So respect and thanks!

Best regards!

I gave this mod a try... It works ok as a standalone, but the masses are fundamentally flawed. Everything is much lighter that in other packs, so the mod doesn\'t balance well with them. The whole rocket is only a few tons, so yes, it\'s easy to put the whole Soyuz rocket into orbit with a Nova first stage.

Also, no RCS on the lander, and nowhere to put it. That makes it hard to land !

I gave this mod a try... It works ok as a standalone, but the masses are fundamentally flawed. Everything is much lighter that in other packs, so the mod doesn\'t balance well with them. The whole rocket is only a few tons, so yes, it\'s easy to put the whole Soyuz rocket into orbit with a Nova first stage.

RELEASE NOTES:

The parts within this pack can only be used with themselves due to a config downscaling to 10% of the all the standard values (weight, maxthrust, fuelconsumption), to improve stability.

Also, no RCS on the lander, and nowhere to put it. That makes it hard to land !

I\'ve always found RCS on a lander to be very unhelpful. It makes the lander turn waaaay too fast, and when you\'re descending on a main engine, you want to make cautious, slow and tiny rotations.

RCS helps on a tall lander to stop it from falling over once you\'ve hit the ground and shut down the engine, but the lander here is nice and wide, doesn\'t have that problem.

I use rcs to kill horizontal velocity. Once you get orientated properly, you can go straight down

RCS is not necessary though, you can use the main thruster to kill horizontal velocity. Just tip it in the same direction as the RVV on the ball.

People, please stop complaining about the 1/10 scale. It\'s been brought up enough times already. It works at 1x scale so just edit the cfgs until Deus posts values he\'s comfortable with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.