landing legs jettisoning off in orbit?

magnemoe

Very strange bug, using an lander who consist of the small Octo 2 core, an 180 liter fuel tank, one of the new 48-S7 inline 20kN engines, and four of the medium landing legs, also have a two batteries and solar panels. Mecjeb and three containers for sample return on top. Sent this lander as part of an probe carrier to Jool, landed it on Val, Pol and finally Bop, accent with mechjeb from it and went out of warp for the circulation burn, suddenly the landings legs is jettisoned off.

No I did not have decoplers on them :) they did not fall off but moved away like I had used some weak decopler.

Never seen anything like this, not that I cared, after docking I would decople the lander from the sample containers and deorbit it.

But is this common?

Very strange bug, using an lander who consist of the small Octo 2 core, an 180 liter fuel tank, one of the new 48-S7 inline 20kN engines, and four of the medium landing legs, also have a two batteries and solar panels. Mecjeb and three containers for sample return on top. Sent this lander as part of an probe carrier to Jool, landed it on Val, Pol and finally Bop, accent with mechjeb from it and went out of warp for the circulation burn, suddenly the landings legs is jettisoned off.

No I did not have decoplers on them :) they did not fall off but moved away like I had used some weak decopler.

Never seen anything like this, not that I cared, after docking I would decople the lander from the sample containers and deorbit it.

But is this common?

I have had this happen with the mini legs, also with the legs in the scenario. Only seems to happen on physics load however.

I tried using those legs on an orbital-debris-cleaning craft, where the legs could extend to form a sort of cage to hold debris that doesn't have a docking port. I never got to even try capturing any debris. Three craft in a row, when switching to the vessel in orbit the landing legs broke off and floated off at ~10 m/s. (I then switched to using the electromagnet in the Kerbal Attachment System. That fourth cleaner craft worked, and most of the debris it had to clean were those !?#! landing legs!) I don't know where the bug lies (physics engine? loading routine? part model?) but there's definitely a bug; it's not just you! I now avoid using those legs at all; so far the smallest- and largest-size legs haven't given me any grief.

The medium legs are extremely wobbly and unstable, they were the first legs added to the game and they really need to be updated/replaced.

The small ones are wobbly as well, but not as bad, and it's less of an issue because they're only good for lightweight probes anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.