Would KSP run on a raspberry pi?

Marknate24

I know that Unity has been ported to ARM but has KSP?

No. KSP would need at the very least a recompile to run on ARM, and only Squad could do that.

Also, a Raspberry Pi doesn't have nearly enough CPU power, and clustering them wouldn't help at all because KSP still can't use multiple cores.

Exactly, you can't cluster as KSP can't multithread. So...no, you couldn't. Even if you recompiled for ARM I doubt it would run. We are talking something with less compute power than my phone...which has roughly 1/5th the compute power of my laptop. I think it would crash and burn BADLY. Okay...technically it might actually be able to run, but I doubt you'd manage more than maybe 2-3FPS even with something like a 3 part rocket.

RPI is roughly equivalent to a 300Mhz Pentium, I think.

With a GPU roughly equivalent to an Xbox plugged into it, yeah. I'm pretty sure an RPi could handle the graphics side, but the physics calcs? Well, maybe once we're in the beta phase and Squad are in a position to do some systematic optimisation.

• 2 years later...
1 minute ago, MK3424 said:

A raspberry Pi 2 might be powerfull enough....

Not even close. KSP wouldn't run properly on a phone, and a Raspberry Pi (2) doesn't even come close to that.

Edited by NeMeSiS