Improvised Launch Tower

I have recently made a launch tower to place next to the launch pad. However, when I got the tower to it's place and attempted to launch another mission I would have to delete the tower to start the flight. Any ideas on how to let me launch a rocket without getting rid of the tower?

-Move the tower to the correct position

-Quicksave

-Open the quicksave file and copy the launch tower vessel's configuration to somewhere else, like a text file

-Move the tower away so you aren't forced to delete it

-Start the new flight

-Quicksave

-Open the quicksave file and copy the saved configuration to the launch tower vessel

-Save the file

-Quickload

The first few steps only need to be done once. You can also save two tower positions: one at the launch pad and one moved away. When you're ready to launch a new flight, use the quicksave edit trick to move the tower away instead of moving it manually.

Or, Hyperedit the launch tower to the desired position? That might be easier, but I've never done it before.

Edited by Somerled

Alternatively use Subassembly loader to save your tower and when you have made a new rocket you just load in the saved tower... attach it to your ship (with a decoupler that fires off as you launch) and launch. It will say to clear the launch pad but will replace the old tower with the new one.

Question. Is there a stock way to implement rotatable joints? I'd like to make a launch platform that separates from the rocket and rotates away with a sepatron. Possible?

Yes there is. There's even fully stock helicopters out there.

Built a quick demo setup to show you (click for hires).

HJvZyCvl.jpg

IhJM1H0l.jpg

FfSgBYLl.jpg

Would the savefile parameter of the tower-vessel "Landed at =" do anything here to prevent the removal of the tower when launching something else?

It doesnt always seem to work flawlessly:

I beamed a rover - more switched one on the Mun with an upgraded one from KSC - by copying everything from "Vessel" in cluding the partID to right above the first part of the vessel.

But the second time I did this, the rover was standing on its tail buried some feet into the ground and with some parts exploding shooting upwards - it landed with no damage on its remaining two heavy landing legs though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.