A Happy Accident

Weegee

So yesterday, after a time void of KSP (sad, I know :P) I downloaded .21, made a new save and got back to experimenting! First, I sent a satellite into orbit around Kerbin, the Mun and Minmus. That was pretty standard, so It's not worth going into detail on.

But today, I wanted to land a rover on the Mun. I had tried before, but was not successful, especially since I'm rubbish at building the actual rovers. So, I ended up with a plate on top of the biggest battery with wheels and solar panels. On my first attempt, I crashed, so I redesigned some things and successfully landed! But then I realized there was something on top of my rover that I couldn't get rid of.

There was a stack decoupler (that let my sky crane fly away using seperatrons) and an ASAS (can't remember what it's called now) making it hard to drive around. So then I drove around for a bit and got flipped. Then I realized that those parts now provide torque! So basically, unless I break something I can use the rover and flip it as much as I want! :D

So anyway, next I'm going to try and accomplish what I tried without success last time: Building a Mun base! Muhahahaha :wink:

It's fun to have spaceship-grade reaction wheel systems on little rovers.

Somewhere along the line while making a Curiosity reenactment, I decided to center it on a SAS module. This worked well in flight, and now, I can pull interesting stunts with the rover.

atM35xoh.png

I also made something that flips itself over with SAS to climb the VAB.

GpZDSbMh.jpg

Reaction wheels are cool.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.