Would you buy expansion packs for KSP? How much?

ngianoplus

Would you buy expansion packs for KSP?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy expansion packs for KSP?

• Yes, 5 or less USD
    • Yes, 10 or less USD
    • Yes, 15 or less USD
    • Yes, 20 or less USD
    • Yes, 25 or less USD
    • Yes, 30 or less USD
    • Yes, even if it was more than 30 USD
    • No

I would be willing to spend around 20USD total between all expansions. One expansion could in principal justify 20 dollars, but if it gets to where downloading mods requires upwards of 60 dollars of expansions like Gratuitous Space Battles it will influence my future purchasing decisions regarding Squad products.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

First post and it's here!!!

I have been playing this game for a few months now and as for paying for DLC's for this game it would be worth every penny. Squad has done a great job building this program and it's only in alpha and i love it to bits it is one of my most played games, but that will change later this year with the RSI SC alpha.

one thing I would like to see is core game and kerbal system first puchase and then as DLC's intersystem research and parts. then new star systems DLC's.(just an idea)

Linarn

This thread just is sickening. Just shows why everything is going downhil and companies do as they please.

Not to mention that it s hows that all those kids here have lost touch with reality when it comes down to money - but they its easy to spend money you didnt have to earn ...

1 - This game isnt even out its still alpha

2 - The game costs about 20 Dollars

People are already asking for addons and are willing to pay more for themn than for the original game. Its just sick but it explains why many just ripp off consumers these days. Tahnks for destroying gaming-industry and making it into what it is now - another industry where the only thing that is important seems to be maximum profit ...

Anyhow i am getting older and have less interrest and time for games anyhow.

I would spend 0 on any KSP-Addon. I might spend some one one in the far - far future if the content is enough to make it worth it.

Even though it doesn't apply to me, I would put down a lot more money for an expansion pack for KSP than I think I would for almost any other game. Pretty much all of the ideas mentioned for expansion packs (e.g bases, colonization and more solar systems) would add a ton of replay value to the game, and wouldn't be like so many other expansion packs where it is a one-run-through kind of thing. I think that makes them worth a good amount more.

It is way, way too soon to be even thinking about this. The game is in Alpha stage. Alpha is under development and, as we learned via the last update, can introduce major changes to the program to get it closer to Beta. Beta is QA/User testing. This is where bugs are discovered in what will be the final version. There is less chance for anything major being introduced and if anything major is inserted this stage everything can revert to Alpha again until that major item is fully fleshed out. Then we proceed to Beta again. QA/User testing starts again at this point as you have to insure that the new major part works well with everything else. Once all the use cases have been completed, and any bugs corrected, you can proceed to release. After release your user base can discover additional bugs. These issues are reported on and corrections are developed. These corrections are then run through a Beta stage to insure that they work well with the core game. Once it passes that test, it is released as an update. Update: fixes to the original game. DLC: Downloadable Content that can be added to the core game with little impact on the core game (sometimes these items need to be rebalanced). Not an update. There may or may no be a cost associated with it. Expansion Packs: All new functionality to the game. Almost a brand new game. Something that was not considered for the core game during development. Not an update and there is almost always a cost for it. Maybe not as much as the original game but there will be a cost. Sequel: A brand new game. Game play could be based in the same game universe but many items are changed to where it could not be integrated into the original game. A brand new game engine could be a major part of this game. Not an update. Now, from my understanding, when I bought KSP, Squad promised me free updates to the game. The wording was loose enough that many said this this would include DLC and Expansions. I watched a lot of strife here on that subject. Squad caved to that.Squad, complete KSP. Don't work on DLC or Expansion after that, but give us the best game you can on your vision of KSP. Then, once KSP is the best you can make it, based on your original project goals, then start working on KSP II. As for the poll? My answer is no. I will, however, pay for KSP II.

Edited by BostLabs
Man, I sure want my formatting back in Safari

I said it before and I'll say our again. Since I purchased the game before April I can get free expansions. If/when those come out I will be donating that amount to SQUAD. I read their user agreement and never did I think it to mean free expansions/DLC.

Thus far, third game has provided me entertainment at a price of pennies to the hour, deepened my knowledge of orbital mechanics to the point where I can confidently say people who play this game are in the top 90 percentile on The planet for knowledge of the cosmos, and rekindled a love of things that go up because the spew hot stuff out of their butts.

Aside from the "the game hasn't been finished yet" issue listed before, I'd be happy to pay.

I always get a bit nervous when I see "free for life" kind of claims. In reality the developers need to get paid, the infrastructure for delivering updates need to get paid, etc, etc, and there's only so much people who will buy a copy of a niche game like KSP.

I'd rather see continuous development at a small fee, than "we can't charge for upgrades since we promised so, so instead we're not doing those upgrades at all"

Assuming those upgrades are really upgrades and not bugfixes or expected functionality like careermode. An upgrade should be something that can be considered optional for playing the game, like "soviet rockets" or "alien artifacts"

I would be willing to pay 5$ each for the following features:

Colonization

Multiplayer

The ability to build launchpads on moons and planets

Light speed engines

For the record, I'm really really hoping those last two will be in the main game, especially for the ability to explore further solar systems.

For the old school meaning of expansion pack, when you got about 50-70% more content and features, then yes indeed. I think colonisation with wholly new abilities, to build buildings and gather resources and terraform, then you'd be looking at about the same amount of content again, so I think another $20 would be justifiable if it brought in a whole new gameplay dynamic alongside what's there in the final game.

if it's just an extra parts pack, then no thankees.

My problem with squad's talk of expansion packs and dlc is that they haven't adequately defined what the finished KSP will be. Basically they're asking customers to buy their game with all future "updates" included, but haven't defined where the break between expansion and update is. I think it's just been bad communication where Squad either doesn't have a very clear view of the distinction themselves or doesn't want to tell users what they plan to include and feel obligated to implement features that they might later decide to scrap. In my opinion having a dlc system with a game that has the buy while in development minecraft/cortex command business model was a bad idea and was bound to cause problems. That said I would still probably buy an expansion pack if it greatly expanded the game and wasn't something that is an immediately obvious addition (*cough* multiplayer *cough* *cough*).

It would depend what I would get. If it was new planets like current, new parts, multiplayer stuff, career mode stuff etc. I would not like to pay very much. But if it was even one of these: efficiently programmed bugless realistic physics, procedurally generated planets with non-periodic small level details and weather effects or well thought and programmed information, control and autopilot system, I would pay 50 € immediately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.