Adding/removing music

It has been made easy to add new parts to the game very easily by moving a folder into another folder, but what I would like to de is be able to add new music.

One thing I've really wanted to be able to do for a long time is listen to music from Iron Man while in the VAB. Of cause that is possible to do by turning off music, playing the tune and going into the VAB, but it would still be cool if I could move the music file (e.g. MP3) into the folder containing the in-game music and listen to it in game.

However, currently the music is hard-wired into the game. You can't take it out, and you most certainly can't add any in.

So I would like squad to add this into the folders, a music folder, so I can easily listen to Iron Man music, or any kind of music, in game, and also choose whether I want to hear it in the VAB/SPH, menu screen, tracking station or space by putting it into a more specific folder.

Thank you!

To all readers (with an account)

Please be free to discuss this idea down below.

I support this idea, but this has probably been discussed a number of times, and it doesn't seem like it will happen, since this is the third release after music was implemented. I do find it strange that they hard-wired it, but they probably had their reasons :/

This was discussed recently, actually. A few people were talking about different ways to make the soundtrack a little more dynamic and the folder solution was brought up at least once.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/43964-Dynamic-Soundtrack?highlight=dynamic+soundtrack

I do believe I posted in one such thread, and yes I would definitely love to be able to choose folders such as "general/EDL", "general/takeoff", "Duna/EDL", "Moho/orbit" and etc.

Imagine Duna entry, descent and landing (or just aerobraking) with this playing as you touch the top of the atmosphere:

Imagine Duna entry, descent and landing (or just aerobraking) with this playing as you touch the top of the atmosphere:

I'd feel the need to play The Majestic whenever I got into a solar orbit, or while waiting for a long transfer...or pretty much whenever >.>

• 3 months later...

Hi, my first post on the forum. I registered specifically to weigh in on this IMPORTANT TOPIC.

This Game/music/folder method was used in Civ 3 and 4 (I believe) and I can't tell you how awesome and important it was to those games. Here are some (perhaps obvious, but important) points for the devs and all of us to consider.

1: Game music is needed to create a signature for the game and increase stock game experience, BUT, no matter how awesome a game's music is or how much there is, most users will eventually become board of it. So adding more music as a developer is great, but isn't the ultimate solution.

2: System resources are taxed by running itunes in the background, and the effect is lost somewhat because the music is not queued to game events (VAB, Tracking Station, Space, etc.)

3: Each person's TASTE in music (while interfacing with the game) is different, and will even differ throughout the same person's life.

4: Most people are not adept enough to modify "hard wired" game music files, but MOST people ARE likely to utilize a music folder and subfolder system.

Again with Civilization as a point of reference they had different music subfolders for each "era" in the game (ancient, industrial age, modern, etc)

Thanks, and let's keep this topic alive.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to zombie an old thread but does anyone know if there has been any progress on this?

I am not necessarily interested to add my own music (though I do like and support that idea) but rather to remove the default music altogether. Being a heavy mod user and the limitations of 32 bit I read that they had to preload the music into RAM just like the parts and so I would like to remove it to free up a bit more memory for the game. :/

Sorry to zombie an old thread but does anyone know if there has been any progress on this?

I am not necessarily interested to add my own music (though I do like and support that idea) but rather to remove the default music altogether. Being a heavy mod user and the limitations of 32 bit I read that they had to preload the music into RAM just like the parts and so I would like to remove it to free up a bit more memory for the game. :/

I finished work on the soundtrack editor. It's available here. I'm still working on removing tracks however.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.