Ocean Surface Speed Record.

Who has the fastest oceanic ship?

The rules are simple:

-It must reach its top speed from a standstill in water, without leaving the water.

-It can only use C7 and radial parachutes. Except RCS tanks which can be from any pack.

-The only cheat parts allowed are parachutes and RCS tanks.

-3 screenshots must be provided: On the launchpad, at standstill in the water before speed attempt, and the ship at its fastest possible speed.

I\'ll start!

ksp2011120312471123.png

ksp2011120312465131.png

ksp2011120312321433y.png

-------

LEADERBOARD

Herra Tohtori - Kingfisher Mk.IV - 312.7m/s

RavingManiac - Super SeaKat - 192.7m/s

Asmosdeus - The Black Swan - 131.7m/s

RavingManiac - Speedboat - 22.0m/s

I can not believe you guys are nearing mach 1...

Aye thank you Maniac! Welcome to the forums!

As for the download, the only reason I can post this is becauseI got this working on my mobile. I\'m awayfor the weekend so no download until monday. I can however see your ships and update the leaderboard.

Aye thank you Maniac! Welcome to the forums!

As for the download, the only reason I can post this is becauseI got this working on my mobile. I\'m awayfor the weekend so no download until monday. I can however see your ships and update the leaderboard.

Oh ok ill get to work with mai boat :D

I\'m just going to copy and paste what I said on another thread pertaining to speed records over water.

'There is really not a record for fastest boat, all you have to do is max up the cfg\'s like strength and crashtolerance.

On the contrary if you are just using standard C7 parts, your top speed will always be lower than what the parts can handle without 'disappearing' in the water with a nice splosion in the ocean.

just wanted to share that with everyone.'

People should really start searching about relative posts that have the same distinct problem. Since that is out of the way, all you have is the boat.

Needs to be in the spacecraft exchange kid :))

I\'m just going to copy and paste what I said on another thread pertaining to speed records over water.

'There is really not a record for fastest boat, all you have to do is max up the cfg\'s like strength and crashtolerance.

On the contrary if you are just using standard C7 parts, your top speed will always be lower than what the parts can handle without 'disappearing' in the water with a nice splosion in the ocean.

just wanted to share that with everyone.'

People should really start searching about relative posts that have the same distinct problem. Since that is out of the way, all you have is the boat.

Needs to be in the spacecraft exchange kid :))

You\'d be surprised at just how much design matters in making a boat. Before this thread, I never would have imagined a boat moving at more than 100 m/s through water without disintegrating. cfg editing is considered to be cheating >:(

Anyway, here are some of my speedboat attempts:

pqzot.jpg

kybwd.jpg

4UG0h.jpg

3xlR9.jpg

I\'m with RavingManiac on this one.

It took me a good few hours to figure out how to get the black swan to go so fast.

Sure there is a top speed at which boats can go, but it is very tricky to reach this top speed.

Hydrofoils will alyways win. Keeping the smallest amount of parts in the water that are likely to explode and get a gimballing engine/ASAS mix to keep you going on a certain angle so you do not flip downwards, that is basically the best way to get it done.

case closed. -_-

Tim, the two entrants so far ARE hydrofoils.

No one was arguing that hydrofoils aren\'t the best option.

I believe you answered in the wrong context and to a different issue you thought I was stating.

'I\'m with RavingManiac on this one.

It took me a good few hours to figure out how to get the black swan to go so fast.

Sure there is a top speed at which boats can go, but it is very tricky to reach this top speed.'

-Asmosdeus

^false

What I meant was that this challenge is, simply put, is not applicable to one\'s inginuity, but only the statisctics on the parts such as their strength and such other related settings. Not only do the parts explode at a certain force/velocity against water, but the best way to come close will always be a hydrofoil, due to one of the rules stating it must be in the water, not mater which part it is.

And the obvious design is, I will say one more time, a hydrofoil. You keep your most vulnerable parts of the fuselage over the water (such as the command pod), achieving a higher speed before going kerboom. At the same time horizontal stablizing fins work together extremely well with ASAS so the desired angle of attack is kept in play.

Thank you Kryten, and Ben.

Barrett I don\'t even know what you\'re arguing for anymore.

No body is disagreeing that a hydrofoil is the best option. If you don\'t think this challenge requires any inginuity, that\'s cool, don\'t enter! Just let us people who want to play with their little speedboats do so and have some fun.

Thank you Kryten, and Ben.

Barrett I don\'t even know what you\'re arguing for anymore.

No body is disagreeing that a hydrofoil is the best option. If you don\'t think this challenge requires any inginuity, that\'s cool, don\'t enter! Just let us people who want to play with their little speedboats do so and have some fun.

My face is squirming intensly to replicate the FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF face right now due to the incomprehendable difficulty on explaining things over text.

Records. Who can go the fastest.

Parts. Without cfg editing they all break/explode etc in water at a certain point. It is not possible to achieve something higher than that without cheating.

'Sure there is a top speed at which boats can go, but it is very tricky to reach this top speed.' When I meant hydrofoils are the way to go, I didn\'t mean that is only the best design, but the only one for a close entry. It does not, however require any energy to replicate the only working design. This entire time I was pretty much explaining why the challenge was invalid, and teaching people the mechanics of it\'s holes in it awsell.

Explanations, y u so hard to explain?

Parts. Without cfg editing they all break/explode etc in water at a certain point. It is not possible to achieve something higher than that without cheating.

A point that has not yet been reached-and why does the stuff about hydrofoils invalidate it being tricky? And

\'It does not, however require any energy to replicate the only working design.\'
could apply to any other challenge as well.

Presenting... The Super SeaKat

Zdfy1.jpg

MF2MU.jpg

Bob: So, how fast does this thing go? Fifty? Seventy-five? A hundred? I heard one of the scientists guys muttering something about waterspeed being limited by-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!'

gu56V.jpg

.craft file attached. Note that the ASAS is the only thing saving it from fiery destruction when moving.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.