Better RTGs?

PTNLemay

I'm trying my hand at ion propelled probes, and I'm only now realizing how weak the stock RTGs actually are. Even with six of them powering one ion engine I can only run it consistently at around 1/3rd thrust. Rather than go into the part files and tweak the numbers (which would unquestionably feel like cheating) I'd like to try and find a new part. Before I go and attempt the daunting task of designing a new part from scratch, I'd like to know which models already exist out there. I checked the Kerbal Spaceport (this thing: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/) but I couldn't find much on simple nuclear power generators.

Anyone know of some good ones? Or... if you have tips on a relatively easy way of designing parts from scratch? I have some experience in Google's Sketchup, but that's about it. And yes, I know I could just use solar, I'd like to take this probe out to explore beyond Jool sometimes, so I do want a compact super powered RTG on hand.

Here's the probe by the way.

ORu7rTy.png

Edited by PTNLemay

Or not fashion a new part just edit the CFG file for the RTG and increase the power output to a higher amount, I don't know what has more launch mass though, solar panels or rtgs...

Solar panels have much less weight than the RTGs. However, if you were going to Eeloo or did some Voyager-esque mission, RTGs are the way to go.

Hoojiwana has a excellent set of modded RTG's. They look great and seem balanced to stock. They're stackable, so it seems they won't jut out like they do oddly on some craft in KSP. I don't know any others that actually look like RTG's. As for your ion problem, I would recommend solar panels as others had said. RTG's are more meant for low amounts of output power over a long period of time.

EDIT: Wow, I forgot the link!

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/rla-powergeneration/

Oddly enough, I'd like to see a smaller stock RTG at some point, appropriately downscaled. An RTG is great for rovers, but if you're just trying to power a small deep-space probe that's not running off of ion power, the stock RTG is severe overkill.

Or not fashion a new part just edit the CFG file for the RTG and increase the power output to a higher amount...

Feels too cheaty... if I'm using a more powerful RTG it has to be something new.

Hoojiwana has a excellent set of modded RTG's.

Looks nice, thanks!

Also this amusing thing happened.

Me: Lets send this to Jool!

KSP: Estimated burn time = 30 minutes

Me: D:

Me: wait! I can still burn while minimized. Let's go watch Youtubes!

(too much time later... this happens)

Me: O:

Yeah, I've had that situation happen to me before. I here Kerbal Alarm Clock can tell you when to stop burning, but I have not yet used it yet.

Not only that, but you can set it to pause the game for at a specified event/time. Kerbal Alarm Clock is one of the must have mods.

We should get Stirling Radioisotope Generators or Advanced Stirling Radioisotope Generators once R&D is implemented. :)

This Stirling converter produces about four times as much electric power from the plutonium fuel than a radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG).

Also, from this Book:

p200183d7g26001.jpg

FIGURE 4.2 Performance of past, present, and future radioisotope power systems. NOTE: ARTG, Advanced Radioisotope Thermal Generator; ASRG, Advanced Stirling Radioisotope Generator; BOM, beginning of mission; GPHS, general purpose heat source; MMRTG, Multi-Mission Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator; RTG. radioisotope thermal generator; TPV, thermophotovoltaic.

Edited by Giggleplex777

I'd love a full on Nuclear Reactor.

Maybe for space stations, but actual nuclear reactors are a big step up from RTGs. I'm not sure we have anything in the game that needs that much power. I suppose you could use multiple ion engines on a space station for station-keeping, but even then you wouldn't need too much power because station keeping is such a slow delicate process. It's okay if you have almost no thrust.

I don't recommend using my RTG's since they are literally just multiples of the stock one in their stats. As others have said, use solar panels. RTG mass is too high to be of efficient use on ion probes.

Well, even if it's just a larger version of the stock ones that would be an improvement. I'd rather have 2 large ones than 18 little ones. Just the rigging necessary to get enough hard-points to connect them all adds un-necessary mass. And it looks a bit silly.

Oddly enough, I'd like to see a smaller stock RTG at some point, appropriately downscaled. An RTG is great for rovers, but if you're just trying to power a small deep-space probe that's not running off of ion power, the stock RTG is severe overkill.

Some mods do have smaller RTG's. AIES has a minirtg. Looks pretty, its light, and provides enough power to keep a probe core active but not much else... I use them for backups on my station because they are easier to hide than the stock ones.

Feels too cheaty... if I'm using a more powerful RTG it has to be something new.

So if you make the part yourself, it's cheating, but if SQUAD added the exact same thing to the game, it isn't?

That's stupid.

Nuclear reactors would be needed for MPD thrusters and any potential future high-energy systems like that. The current RTGs are pretty much fine as they are, though a bigger and a smaller variant to make the designs more variable would be a good idea.

I want nuclear reactors for:

Space Stations

Planetary Bases (think dark side of moho or for that matter the mun with the long nights)

Interplanetary Taxi type ships

Is there very little that requires electricity right now? Yes.

Is the electricity generation devices that don't rely on the sun woefully inadequate to power a bank of 20 to 30 Ion drives at full throttle? Yes.

Will the future bring many more things that require electricity? Yes.

Maybe for space stations, but actual nuclear reactors are a big step up from RTGs. I'm not sure we have anything in the game that needs that much power. I suppose you could use multiple ion engines on a space station for station-keeping, but even then you wouldn't need too much power because station keeping is such a slow delicate process. It's okay if you have almost no thrust.

We need nuclear reactors for exactly what you asked for in your first post: ion powered probes. Solar panels are fine (at least close to Kerbol), but they are bulky and fragile. If you want to make a powerful ion engine ship, compact nuclear reactors in a variety of sizes would be the answer for powering them (and other kinds of electric-powered drives).

Problem with reactors and RTG generators are very small energy density compared to their mass.

Maybe for space stations, but actual nuclear reactors are a big step up from RTGs. I'm not sure we have anything in the game that needs that much power. I suppose you could use multiple ion engines on a space station for station-keeping, but even then you wouldn't need too much power because station keeping is such a slow delicate process.

Compact nuclear reactors could be quite scalable in matter of power output because of cooling requirement - You need radiators (similar to large solar panels, but with coolant flowing trough them) for heat dissipation, for small reactor powering surface outpost You can attach couple of small radiator panels but You don't get a lot of power.

fig22.GIF

For powering larger ion engines (imagine couple 1.25m ion engines slowly pushing larger craft) You would need entire array of large radiators to use full reactor(s) potential.

EDIT_1:

Also reactors cooling requirement (helium/xenon as working medium) and radiators part could use with advanced "bi-modal" NTR engines (nuclear ones) as modest power plants (when in idle) with cooling system attached to spacecraft.

Image39.gif

Edited by karolus10

Yeah, I've had that situation happen to me before. I here Kerbal Alarm Clock can tell you when to stop burning, but I have not yet used it yet.

You can use Kerbal alarm clock to kill time warp if you are using it, or get it to pause the game. It's a useful tool to use when you have several flights on the go, as you can set alarms for when manoeuvres need to be undertaken by various craft, and save you the problem of possibly missing one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.