Are Kerbals Orks?

0x7be

An idea striked me this morning!

I propose new theory of Kerbals physiology.: they are orkoids from Wahrammer 40.000 universe:

1. They are green, just like Orks!

2. They love big things and loud explosions, just like Orks!

3. They can survie without oxygen or food, relying, possiblty, on photosynthesis, just like Orks!

4. There are no female Kerbals, and Orks do not have females too, because they repoduce with spores!

5. Kerbals like speed, just like Orks.

6. Kerbals travel through the unverse in most insane mechanic creations that tend to fall apart and explode. Orks do that too!

The only weak side of my theory: there is no dakka-dakka in KSP ;)

Space Orks are brutish, nasty warmongers. Kerbals are scientific, peaceful and curious.

Space Orks slap their space hulks together out of wood and banded iron. Kerbals have a much higher level of engineering prowess (even if it is a bit nuts sometimes).

They may both be speed-freaks, but Kerbals don't have a preoccupation with "red wunz" supposedly going faster.

Sorry, Kerbals are not Orks.

Edited by segaprophet

The only weak side of my theory: there is no dakka-dakka in KSP ;)

Depends on what mods you've got installed... and how creative you are with SRBs.

And I'm pretty sure how well a rocket flies depends entirely on how much you believe it will... so, in other words, just like Orks :P

But they're not very warlike, so I dunno...

Space Orks are brutish, nasty warmongers. Kerbals are scientific, peaceful and curious.

Space Orks slap their space hulks together out of wood and banded iron. Kerbals have a much higher level of engineering prowess (even if it is a bit nuts sometimes).

Sorry, Kerbals are not Orks.

As we know, orcoids form symbiotic ecosystem where many related races (namely, squigs, snotlings , gretchins and orks). Kerbals fit there perfectly as mekboys.

And their attitude towards courage and stupidity fits orkish ways of life too :)

Depends on what mods you've got installed... and how creative you are with SRBs.

And I'm pretty sure how well a rocket flies depends entirely on how much you believe it will... so, in other words, just like Orks :P

But they're not very warlike, so I dunno...

Well, Orks wre genetically engineered by the Old Ones to fight C'tans and Necrons.

Maybe it was opensource and somebody made a fork ;)

You mean I should mod my rockets so there's more red on them, cuz red wunz go fasta?

IIRC there's a Dev blog post expressly refuting the Kerbals = Orks tie; was it the one about the VAB/SPH redesign?

After searching, yep it is:

Kerbals are indifferent to safety precautions and are very excited about explosions, yes, but they make an impression of extremely capable and very competent engineers. Sure, we know they probably turned a construction crane into a vomit carousel or raced on bulldozers in the process, but I don't doubt for one second they can build buildings similar to real ones, and I don't think it would be out of character for them. Plenty of other stuff like engines is fairly close to how our human rockets look. It's unfair to mistake Kerbals for Orks from a “Certain Universe With 40k In The Name,†or to expect them to build sloppy duct-taped huts.

-- Steve

You mean I should mod my rockets so there's more red on them, cuz red wunz go fasta?

IIRC there's a Dev blog post expressly refuting the Kerbals = Orks tie; was it the one about the VAB/SPH redesign?

After searching, yep it is:

-- Steve

Oh dear!

You've ruined my scientific theory! :)

They are neither brutish, nor stupid, nor violent. Nor are they scavengers who do not understand the technology they appropriate.

They are clever, intelligent, peaceful and technically innovative.

The only thing they truly have in common is that they are green. Even if they're also photosynthetic, that would mean, by your logic, that a cucumber is no different than an Ork.

4. There are no female Kerbals, and Orks do not have females too, because they repoduce with spores!

I would like to dispute this, in the comics in two areas, more notably this first one as the second is a joke for Star Trek and not the KSP game:

2012-03-11-episode-four-fresh-meat.png

Now whilst the comics aren't entirely canonical with Kerbals... okay fine, grey area, I don't know, no female Kerbals then?

Anyway, there are female Orks, there isn't necessarily... a reason for this if I recall correctly thanks to how Orks die, produce spores and if the Imperials or whomever else aren't doing their jobs right by burning the area, the spores make new Orks, blehbleh, there are female Orks best to my memory, just not really in the front line.

But Orks can make seemingly random contraptions work by using their psychic energy or Waaagh!

The Waagh! also seems to warp reality to fit Orkish beliefs, allowing their ramshackle technology to function properly. If Orks are convinced that their designs are sound and functional, the Waaagh! makes them so. Other races have found that many Orkish devices simply do not work unless wielded by an Orkoid.

Kerbals don't have Waaagh! Their contraptions either work or fail and there's no faith that can prevent a rocket from blowing up.

But Orks can make seemingly random contraptions work by using their psychic energy or Waaagh!

Kerbals don't have Waaagh! Their contraptions either work or fail and there's no faith that can prevent a rocket from blowing up.

Have you seen some of the contraptions people have built? Some of then seem to be fueled more by wishful thinking than actual fuel. :sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.