Allow crafts to be capable of docking to themselves!!!!!

PLEASE allow this because then A NEW AGE of kerbal science can begin!!! Magnetic Propelled Aircraft. Give us the ability to target every single docking port. I have created a magnetic propelled craft but i need this to happen before it can work :)

Simple put one docking port in facing the direction the cockpit is facing then put another docking port facing opposite and make sure they are seperated only a few inches apart then you can propell the craft forward using magnets AKA docking ports.

Simple put one docking port in facing the direction the cockpit is facing then put another docking port facing opposite...

Okay, so there's still the "manual" option...

...and make sure they are seperated only a few inches apart...
...then you can propell the craft forward using magnets AKA docking ports.

Wait, isn't that how our good 'ol docking ports work? Because you're pertaining to what we're calling here as "Phantom Forces".

If the whole point of this is to make magnetic bearings and/or a magnetic motor, they already do.

Whenever the docking ports get within range, the magnent kicks in targetted or not.

Not too long ago people were using this behavior to create stock roller bearings using docking ports and wheels to make functional stock helicopters.

It won't stay spinning by itself, but it will levitate well enough that you can guide it using landing wheels.

Also I think it's important to note that this won't. It's against the fundamental laws of physics, every force creates an equal force in the opposite direction. Since the both forces are applied to your ship, you're not gonna go to space today.

A magnet car is possible and i have tried it in ksp but it doesn't work by putting a docking port in front of a mk2 command pod and then making a strut extension to make a docking port it sucks to in front of the previous docking port KSP does not allow A CRAFT TO DOCK TO ITSELF. Thats what im saying they should add.

Or they can create a smaller level of magnetism for the jr docking port therefore allowing me to create the magnet car ad then eventually a magnet plane

You are attempting to use a game unrealistic feature for braking the physics in the game, creating a ridiculous and unrealistic way of propulsion?? why do't you use thrusters like in a real spacecraft? and what make you believe that the community will support you in creating a bug?

Or maybe I totally misunderstood your intentions.

A magnet car is possible and i have tried it in ksp but it doesn't work by putting a docking port in front of a mk2 command pod and then making a strut extension to make a docking port it sucks to in front of the previous docking port KSP does not allow A CRAFT TO DOCK TO ITSELF. Thats what im saying they should add.

It'S not working because the physics are working properly. The dockingports are trying to connect but they can't. The dockingport in front of the craft tries to attract the other one. The dockingport on the capsule tries to attract the one in front. Since both forces are applied to the same physical object (the whole craft) they both cancel out and you're not moving. If you want it to move forward, you have to take a different craft and put it in front, this way, only one force is being applied to a given craft, so they actually move. Needless to say you'll need thrusters anyway to keep the dockingport in front at the same distance form the one on the capsule.

If this actually works then as mentioned it's an unrealistic bug that runs counter to the laws of physics and I heartily reject any suggestion enabling it to be better exploited. If it wouldn't work anyway because the ksp physics are right in this regard then the suggestion is moot.

And craft already can dock to themselves, what exactly do you mean? The multi-docking is enabled by that fact. If you add parts that can animate, like the Infernal Robotics mod, then you could make a robotic arm with a docking port on its end, that would be able to connect to any docking port on your own ship.

You made the mistake of saying "Magnetic Propelled Aircraft" in your first post and that sent everyone off on the side topic of the impossibility of perpetual motion machines. I don't think that's what you meant to say but it is what you ended up saying.

If you're talking about the tree structure being stopped it's just not possible right now, but I would like to see parts being loop able with docking ports. As it stands really just one port is "really" connected and the other one is just held in place by being magnetically attracted without being really attached.

You made the mistake of saying "Magnetic Propelled Aircraft" in your first post and that sent everyone off on the side topic of the impossibility of perpetual motion machines. I don't think that's what you meant to say but it is what you ended up saying.

If you're talking about the tree structure being stopped it's just not possible right now, but I would like to see parts being loop able with docking ports. As it stands really just one port is "really" connected and the other one is just held in place by being magnetically attracted without being really attached.

All ports are really attached. Only one counts for the tree structure, but the attachment is real and equal in all ports. Disconnect the port that is the "true" connection, if you can tell the difference, and as long as some other point is connected, the tree will rebuild to conform, reestablishing connections before releasing physics.

Im saying if ONE CRAFT has 2 docking ports close to eachother then it should be able to dock them and ALSO the jr docking port should have a lower level of magnetism so that the bigger docking port overpowers its magnetism allowing the possibility of magnetically propelled aircraft. THIS IS NOT A BUG. And would be awesome if added to the game. AND its not unrealistic as long as one docking port overpowers the other causing the craft to move in one direction.

Im saying if ONE CRAFT has 2 docking ports close to eachother then it should be able to dock them and ALSO the jr docking port should have a lower level of magnetism so that the bigger docking port overpowers its magnetism allowing the possibility of magnetically propelled aircraft. THIS IS NOT A BUG. And would be awesome if added to the game. AND its not unrealistic as long as one docking port overpowers the other causing the craft to move in one direction.
A force exerted by one docking port is received by the other docking port. The force pulls both ports together equally, and even if two ports of different size reacted together (they don't), different forces between port models would still only mean something when two identical ports lined up - which would really only mean a difference in how hard the ports pull each other together. As it is, both ports are acting on each other with equal total force. Physics 101, or whatever course they teach Newtonian laws on these days. Action and reaction.

Besides, what you are proposing is bootstrapping. A craft cannot pull itself with just two magnets. A magnet train works because of the powered track. (and in case you want to bring it up, in some cases an unpowered magnetic ramp track) Unless your pilot is a Munchausen rather than a Kerman, what you are proposing is not going to work.

Edited by Sean Mirrsen

Try it in real life with different strong magnets. It doesn't work. The force from magnet1 to magnet2 ist exactly the same as the force from magnet2 to magnet1.

((For some reason the Forum's Javascript on the "reply with quote" button stopped working for me about 2 days ago. I don't know what changed but it just spins in wait forever when I click on it, so I have to quote manually here.))

All ports are really attached. Only one counts for the tree structure, but the attachment is real and equal in all ports. Disconnect the port that is the "true" connection, if you can tell the difference, and as long as some other point is connected, the tree will rebuild to conform, reestablishing connections before releasing physics.

If they're all equal then why when making dual-couplers does it matter which one, the left or the right, I disconnect in flight? If I disconnect the left one iit drifts off a bit and then the magnets attract it back and it reconnects the other side. But if I disconnect the right one it does not disconnect and drift off. Their behavior is NOT identical.

Even with a weaker and a stronger docking port, the only thing that is changing (in real life) is the compression on the structure. So even if the weaker magnet was pulled towards the stronger one, and pulled the weaker magnet forwards, what is pulling the stronger one forwards? Either the magnets want to pull together, or pull apart. They can't both move in the same direction as you propose.

Edited by Exsmelliarmus

((For some reason the Forum's Javascript on the "reply with quote" button stopped working for me about 2 days ago. I don't know what changed but it just spins in wait forever when I click on it, so I have to quote manually here.))

If they're all equal then why when making dual-couplers does it matter which one, the left or the right, I disconnect in flight? If I disconnect the left one iit drifts off a bit and then the magnets attract it back and it reconnects the other side. But if I disconnect the right one it does not disconnect and drift off. Their behavior is NOT identical.

click it a second time

On my opinion this a suggestion to create a system that is meant to break gameplay, I think it needs to be closed.

I think the original poster means 'magnetic levitation' or something. I see the reason we may want it, but it's not a primary focus of the game. Like, asking to change the behaviour of docking ports it order to be able to build a magnetic accelerator from them? It sound just like asking to change pushing force of the flaps to be able to throw objects with them. It's breaking the game for making one crazy contraption that can't even be useful in any meaningfull way.