Smallest standard part rocket to orbit and back again

Reading one of the threads over in the General Discussion side got me thinking 'what is the smallest rocket, made from standard parts, that can achieve orbit and still return to the surface?'

I\'ve tried a few flights and have managed to get a LFE, 3 LFT, decoupler, capsule, chute assembly into a 75.3 km x 75.6 km orbit. But I can\'t claim it as the smallest standard part rocket because I used Nova\'s decoupler with its mass of only 0.25 (compared to 0.8 for the standard decoupler). Here are some screen shots of my 'proof of concept' rocket. I kept it up there for about 4 hours until I could splash it down in daylight in the ocean off the KSC:

57F2q.jpg

Is the 0.55 tonne difference in mass between the two decouplers enough to make the difference between being able to achive orbit and not? Maybe someone who\'s a better pilot than I am can do it?

Guest Flixxbeatz

Pretty sure someone\'s done that, already:

(No, that\'s not me.)

Welp, I was about to say that...

and yea

@OP: He has the same design as yours!

Welp, I was about to say that...

and yea

@OP: He has the same design as yours!

Thanks. But my question/challenge was whether it could be done with all standard parts?

I haven\'t managed it myself because, as I said above, I used Nova\'s decoupler to minimize mass. And as you point out, it looks like the guy who made the video used Nova\'s decoupler too.

I will try again with the standard decoupler, but I suspect it will take some precise flying to successfully achieve orbit. Maybe someone else is interested in taking on the challenge too?

Thanks. But my question/challenge was whether it could be done with all standard parts?

I will try again with the standard decoupler, but I suspect it will take some precise flying to successfully achieve orbit. Maybe someone else is interested in taking on the challenge too?

It\'s been done with no decoupler at all (or parachute)-this saves enough fuel for a powered landing. I haven\'t seen it done in the latest version, but there\'s no reason to believe that it\'s now impossible, especially with the extra ~200m/s from Kerbin\'s rotation.

alittle late, but cool

There are pretty much zero alternative designs for the smallest stock rocket, so that\'s why the community does not regard anyone to hold these type of records. Anyone can replicate from this from an infancy of experience.

P.S. - You aren\'t above the atmosphere, challenge or no challenge, that probably won\'t make it as a real orbiting rocket. And kryten is correct, it is now far more easier to get around the planet now that it rotates. Just head west.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...