.22 performance and bugs?

toric5

any idea if they are optimizing some bugs that came in .22? such as the mun soi freeze or loading times? (or the bug mentioned in my signature, for that matter?) anyone know how much effor they are even putting into bug fixes?

......... You paid to play an alpha game during it's development process, no one here can answer your questions, it's an alpha, expect it to have little problems here or there.

As for the loading times, if you have tons of mods installed and it takes a while to load...well that's kind of your own doing.

The short loading times don't bother me, most games have loading screens or times when they need to load things up, personally I don't understand why people are so offended that the game has to load.

he's probably referring to the loading times when switching screens, it's quite annoying. Alpha or not, they should still fix a bug where the game takes 15 seconds and goes into not responding mode just when I want to go from the VAB to the Space Center.

The loading times drive me crazy. I wish I could tell the game to just go straight to the VAB or the tracking station instead of wasting 30 seconds loading Bac9's beautiful space center just so I can click something and unload it.

No idea, but according to the Weeklys they're always fixing bugs, so I'm sure something will happen. Best bet is to report it through the forum tools you have available, or add your support and post logs to the threads pertaining to issues you're having.

We're aiming to optimise and shorten the loading times in between each of the scenes in 0.22. It's still in a very early stage of testing, currently, so we can't be declaring anything fixed just yet. We are working on it though, don't doubt that; these bugs get in the way of us playing too.

We're aiming to optimise and shorten the loading times in between each of the scenes in 0.22. It's still in a very early stage of testing, currently, so we can't be declaring anything fixed just yet. We are working on it though, don't doubt that; these bugs get in the way of us playing too.

This is why I love you guys. I wish other devs communicated like this.

......... You paid to play an alpha game during it's development process, no one here can answer your questions, it's an alpha, expect it to have little problems here or there.

As for the loading times, if you have tons of mods installed and it takes a while to load...well that's kind of your own doing.

The short loading times don't bother me, most games have loading screens or times when they need to load things up, personally I don't understand why people are so offended that the game has to load.

Please dont blame every bug on the user. This bug about loading screens is a known bug that the developers are aware of and has stated is a real issue.

It has nothing to do with mods and happens even on vanilla installs. If you sawp one dll file from previous version then those long loading times magically vanish, so it is clearly a bug or a unintended side effect from some feature.

Also nothing wrong with asking if they are working on a fix... Is not like he demanded it to be fixed now, he just asked if they were working on it.

Please dont blame every bug on the user. This bug about loading screens is a known bug that the developers are aware of and has stated is a real issue.

It has nothing to do with mods and happens even on vanilla installs. If you sawp one dll file from previous version then those long loading times magically vanish, so it is clearly a bug or a unintended side effect from some feature.

Ok, however this still doesn't change the fact that people should probably accept that the devs WANT to make a game you and I and many other people will enjoy, which implies fixing bugs.

It's just kind of annoying to see these threads all of the time when it's an alpha game, there will be unintended glitches here and there as the game continues through the development process.

I think it's fair to say, that even when they're going about fixing bugs, the devs themselves can't always predict when that migt happen, what else may break along the way, etc.

As for the "blaming" comment, it's fairly well known that the game loads everything at once, thus if you have more mods, it will be slower, it was a fair assumption based on that and the fact that I personally haven't encountered that bug and was blissfully unaware of it's existence.

Fair enough if it's a bug, it's a bug, but you don't have to characterize my actions with emotionally charged terms.

Here's the thing thats been on my mind. Squad's folder is bloated as it is. It sits at over 400mb making it significantly larger then most mods. ( though not all of it is parts ) Squads been adding parts for the past few updates and with the science package coming .22 will add more. So at some point Squad is going to be forced to do some optimization and reduce their footprint. ( or give us another 32 bits to work with )

That's what bothers me the most in the game right now. The load times when switching scenes are a bit rough, but I can tolerate them. And... A button to go to the tracking station as well as the space center would be nice.

this statement and the fact that they are always doing small fixes and performance tweaks, just not always where you want them, more of where you need them.

The problem is, the 64-bit thing is the fault of Unity, not Squad. Apparently, a 64-bit version of the Unity Engine is in the pipeline, but obviously hasn't materialized yet.

Whilst you're on the right track, that's not quite correct. Basically, Unity is fully able to build 64-bit binaries of games, however, KSP is just too unstable on Windows and OSX when built as a 64-bit binary (Linux seems okay, for the most part). Additionally, the Unity editor is indeed only available as a 32-bit binary, as you have said.

the only reason squad has not upgraded is because some people have a 32bit OS and squad dose not want to upgrade and make it so they can't play

If 64-bit builds were available on all Operating Systems, there would simply be both a 32-bit and 64-bit binary available; thus allowing players running a 32-bit OS to still play the game.

Here's the thing thats been on my mind. Squad's folder is bloated as it is. It sits at over 400mb making it significantly larger then most mods. ( though not all of it is parts ) Squads been adding parts for the past few updates and with the science package coming .22 will add more. So at some point Squad is going to be forced to do some optimization and reduce their footprint. ( or give us another 32 bits to work with )

That's what bothers me the most in the game right now. The load times when switching scenes are a bit rough, but I can tolerate them. And... A button to go to the tracking station as well as the space center would be nice.

That would kinda make up for the lack of end flight if they also added a recover and go back to VAB.

As it is now if I do tests on launch pad and do a quick save there is no way to end flight or even revert time unless i first go to space center, then tracking station and then back to VAB. This is alot more loading times for me even when this bug has been fixed.

Whilst you're on the right track, that's not quite correct. Basically, Unity is fully able to build 64-bit binaries of games, however, KSP is just too unstable on Windows and OSX when built as a 64-bit binary (Linux seems okay, for the most part). Additionally, the Unity editor is indeed only available as a 32-bit binary, as you have said.

Thanks for the correction. I was honestly under the impression that Unity itself was available only as a 32-bit platform.

That would kinda make up for the lack of end flight if they also added a recover and go back to VAB.

As it is now if I do tests on launch pad and do a quick save there is no way to end flight or even revert time unless i first go to space center, then tracking station and then back to VAB. This is alot more loading times for me even when this bug has been fixed.

If you do testing on the launch pad, you can simply go to the VAB an continue building. As you press Launch you are asked if you want to clear up the pad first.

It's just kind of annoying to see these threads all of the time when it's an alpha game, there will be unintended glitches here and there as the game continues through the development process.

I' going to tell you what's annoying.

People posting that we have no right to expect or even hope for something just because game is alpha stage.

Yes, it's alpha. But Squad decided to start selling it now. And it costs quite a lot in Europe (22 euros).

So we have every right to ask, expect, criticize.

I' going to tell you what's annoying.

People posting that we have no right to expect or even hope for something just because game is alpha stage.

Yes, it's alpha. But Squad decided to start selling it now. And it costs quite a lot in Europe (22 euros).

So we have every right to ask, expect, criticize.

No, niot really, you have the right to play the game as it's developed, games in development have bugs, complaining about bugs in a game that isn't finished is a bit...."special", you should expect bugs and you should expect that Squad has and develops their own internal plan for dealing with them as they happen.

But being as how the game is alpha it is unrealistic to expect everything to be perfect and complaining about things that aren't entirely within anyone's immediate control is some self entitled b.s.

Also, no one told you that you have no right to expect bug fixes, and this little ruse/fantasy of yours claiming to be "persecuted" because of asking for bug fixes is just ludicrous.

The point is, teh game is an alpha, there will be bugs, complaining about them isn't the same as constructive criticism or reporting bugs, it's still just complaining.

But being as how the game is alpha it is unrealistic to expect everything to be perfect and complaining about things that aren't entirely within anyone's immediate control is some self entitled b.s.

I am not talking about complaining anywhere.

Also, no one told you that you have no right to expect bug fixes, and this little ruse/fantasy of yours claiming to be "persecuted" because of asking for bug fixes is just ludicrous.

Nobody is asking for bug fixes, toric5 asked if the bug will be fixed in 0.22.

And the first thing you did - you simply attacked him.

The point is, teh game is an alpha, there will be bugs, complaining about them isn't the same as constructive criticism or reporting bugs, it's still just complaining.

No one is complaining, srsly.

Okay guys, this is as far as we'll go.

0.22 is not out yet, so speculating about the bugs in it won't lead us anywhere, and Ted answered the question in the first page: everything is and will be done to minimize and remove bugs. Since this thread is now turning to dilly-dally fighting, I'm closing it.