Drive to KSC2 challenge revived.

GDJ

I could do the challenge, if it is ok when i reach the desired zone where no buildings are displayed (that happens on my installation from time to time).

My rover isn't fast - only about 20 m/s - and needs some tweaking (weight-balance for breaking), because the new weels have an increddible grip. So it will last a while until i can reach the destination.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

@tokay gris: KSC and KSC2 are roughly about the aquator. So the distance should be a bit shorter than halfway arround kerbin = ~ 1965 km.

Edited by Heagar

Update on my attempt..

Billy-Bobfried Kerman drove through the night and was greated by the sun shortly before he blew 3 tires.

hsuf.jpg

But he repaired the tires and continued on to his next waypoint.

3cmr.jpg

Oh did I mention, it floats.

lmf9.jpg

And does 11m/s in the water, I can push it to 20m/s but risk losing wheels.

End of 6:40min of driving...

j941.jpg

Edited by Hodo

Okay, I'm officially letting the "Amphibious Vehicle" designs and the drive to KSC2 count, since Hodo went ahead and did it in a amphibious vehicle.

So, to be fair, go ahead.

Besides, doing nearly 7 hours and a good chunk of it was probably bailing out water is tough enough. :wink:

Edited by GDJ

It's terrible that you have to be careful making turns over 111 mph. You should probably get the alignment checked.

.....Yeah. :P

Tried Toe-in and toe-out. KSP doesn't understand that tires can slip a tiny bit, and the rover bounces left-right until it crashes.

Coudn't build good working anti-sway bars.

All I could put on the suspension was 10Ëš castor and 5Ëš camber.

But 111MPH isn't exactly slow.

I had to have another go as amphibians have been let in. I was able to update my 100m/s .19 rover with new reactors, electric fans and a couple of hulls to manage 70-80m/s on land and 65m/s on water by raising the wheels with DR hinges. Made the whole trip inside 4 Hrs :) I only had to deal with 15 mins of darkness. Seems the large hole KSC2 used to be in has gone - I nearly drove straight past it.

3cbe.png

pa4a.png

m5kp.png

g8zf.png

2zx7.png

Nice, Darren. 65m/s on water, or 145mph on water. Thats way faster than my slow 22mph.
Thanks. I could only go that fast for a couple of minutes, I couldn't find a reactor as insanely OP as the one I had in .19 to properly power the fans. On land though it goes 100m/s at 1/3 throttle - I went too fast and crashed quite often :)

I tried this challenge. I spent a few hours developing a high-speed amphibious rover. I got a rover capable of near-supersonic speed on land and 3.5 m/s in water. XD

I decided to go all the way on land because of the much higher ground speeds i could cover. I used the TT modular multiwheels pack for the suspension, a PDE from SM's mods for main power, a propeller I found on the spaceport for water propulsion (not very useful), some delta wings and tiny jets (from TV Aerospace) for downforce. After much testing I embarked on my epic drive. And by epic I mean I got about 350 km into the drive, went over a hill too fast, forgot to activate my downforce jets, and smashed into the ground. >:L Time for a retry...

Greetings All Cannonballers,

There are some excellent entries in this challenge, I have enjoyed checking all of them out.

The KSC R&D Division put in some serious overtime in order to develop the "KSC-02 BushWhacker" prototype, sparing no expense and calling in all manufacturers of custom parts in order to make the dream a reality.

Time to KSC2: 03:41:01

FSnoqd7.jpg

Name: KSC-02 BushWhacker

Crew: Bill Kerman (Navigator), Jebidiah Kerman (Pilot) , Bob Kerman (Engineering)

Category: Mod

Class: Heavyweight Amphibious (45.88 Kerbin Tons)

Maximum Crew Capacity: 4

Top Speed: >90 m/s (Land) 42.5 m/s (Sea)

Liquid Fuel Capacity: 1920 (enough to get there and almost back)

Maximum Range: Unlimited (conventional wheel power via RTG)

Features:

* Emergency Parachutes (2 drogue, 2 rescue)

* Engineering and Science Station (full compliment of instruments)

* Navigation Lights

Mods (possibly non-exhaustive list):

* MechJeb 2.x

* FAR

* TT MultiWheels (Omniwheel)

* Aviation Lights (Nav Lights)

* B9 Aerospace (Cockpit)

* Ion Hybrid Electric Pack (RTG)

* Telemachus (Antenna for SCIENCE)

* Taverio's Pizza and Aerospace (Floats)

* Infernal Robotics (Float Rams)

* Wayland Corp. Experimental Wheels Pack (Kerbstone Mini Monsters)

NOTE: Bob drew the short straw and got to sit outside on the reactor for the duration of the trip and plant the flags, you can see how thrilled he is in the album.

On the KSC runway:

j5moSHu.jpg

At KSC2:

7MhOHIm.jpg

Victory Shot:

ONIihAi.jpg

Route:

BOlsEKh.jpg

Full Album of the Adventure:

Edited by Rastgen Kerwin

I have a design, but have no idea where to go except north. Any one got better directions?

What is happening in the album:

I made a hum-vee-like design using an old rover chassis, but it was way too big. So I made a small vehicle with a similar shape for the challenge. I had a pain with it with having to get the kerbals inside and then it flipped. Bob (or was it Bill?) was unable to get out and flip it. So, I went back to space center and removed the old one from the map, added a trailer and I sent it out. I found I was missing a wheel (and left Bob out,) but pressed on to rescue (it turned out to be a design issue and not damage while driving.) I then lost the trailer and two kerbals in a roll because of it. I then had no means of picking him up and reverted to the hangar.

edit: embeding album not working: use this link until fixed:

Edited by Commander Wilmot

I have a design, but have no idea where to go except north. Any one got better directions?

What is happening in the album:

I made a hum-vee-like design using an old rover chassis, but it was way too big. So I made a small vehicle with a similar shape for the challenge. I had a pain with it with having to get the kerbals inside and then it flipped. Bob (or was it Bill?) was unable to get out and flip it. So, I went back to space center and removed the old one from the map, added a trailer and I sent it out. I found I was missing a wheel (and left Bob out,) but pressed on to rescue (it turned out to be a design issue and not damage while driving.) I then lost the trailer and two kerbals in a roll because of it. I then had no means of picking him up and reverted to the hangar.

edit: embeding album not working: use this link until fixed:

I went south, its longer, but the trip is flatter. Your problem with flipping is because you have to short of a wheel base. Your wheels are too close front to back. You are plenty wide, but with Kerbin traction you hit the brakes just slightly and you will flip forward.

Ok. I think I did a roll that was to the side but also involved one of the forward corners, but I might try adjusting things. Maybe use a radial dis-connector instead of two docking ports and possibly dumping the trailer at some point. I could also reduce to six wheels by removing the front two from the trailer. I really don't need to break though, the land route is going to be long enough as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, finally got round to trying to put somethingtogether for this ( only two versions later! ). Is there a leaderboard somewhere? 3:41 is quite some target anyway...

10127014234_4a4f7c42c9_c.jpg

Haven't managed to stop it lawn-darting yet, I need to get a bit more familiar with my route. Learning it at night probably doesn't help much...

Guest Brody_Peffley

Im going to make a drivable, Boat, Airplane car. LETS DO THIS

It flies and can go 120 m/s on land and air. Seems like were getting to a good start.

Apperatly that my engine came off while im driving in the ocean.

Edited by Brody_Peffley

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.