Drive to KSC2 challenge revived.

GDJ

Now if only someone could do this stock.

My very first attempt was using stock parts, the times are not going to be to much slower than my time. After all my wheels are stock and my engine. Actually when I think about it, most of the Amphib-1 is stock parts, accept the lower hull which is B9.

As seen here.

nhps.jpg

New run, this time with screenshots...

10190924575_1a11c36073_c.jpg

10187495906_eaea22d881_c.jpg

10190943025_ae8c8442e9_c.jpg

10190850244_53c82a29ce_c.jpg

No need for jettison mechanisms when you can wipe the floats out on the ground :P

10190873324_d27b89e2f0_c.jpg

One hour mark:

10190923356_ab3efcea1f_c.jpg

Arrived. Was actually about 12s earlier but I had to reload the game to take a screenshot, hence no "hey you lost a few bits on the way" messages either.

10190855245_69627151ef_c.jpg

Flickr set with a few more pics: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjKw77kb

Time claimed: 1hr 39m 43s

Speeds: ~170m/s on land, 100m/s on water.

Mods: FAR, B9 ( engines, fuselage, compressed air RCS, SAS, lights ), TT multiwheels, Infernal Robotics and Firesplitter for the floats, Procedural wings for all fixed aero surfaces, Taverius' pizza pack control surfaces, Mechjeb for nav & water stability, quantum struts, nosecone from somewhere ( maybe Novapunch ).

Max G force was 10.8 and I think I remember where that was, that must have been a very near wipeout.

Just basically aimed it in the right direction, opened the throttle full, hit the SAS key & every now and then attempted to stop it burying itself after an awkward jump. TWR is around 1.8 so keeping it down was quite tricky without having it submerge in the water, but if you jump too high & land too hard it costs a fair bit of speed so a balance was needed ( and I ended up with a trim tab on the rear wing ). It most definitely isn't an aeroplane, that's for sure...

Brakes are mostly reverse thrust.

Edited by Van Disaster

• 2 months later...

Been a bit since I've looked at the forums. Sorry.

Been busy with life, new jobs (long story) and upgrading the computer. I promise to be a bit more attentive.

I'm glad in my absence that the challenge is still going on. I'd better pony up and do this and live.

Great job everybody! Lots of interesting designs here! :)

• 2 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2013 at 0:19 PM, GusTurbo said:

Now if only someone could do this stock.

Watch me....  :wink:

I would like to enter my mega-rover: the Chariot.

9NkdwSa.jpg

dTQlPS5.jpg

rSl33lb.jpg

She's completely stock, fully self-sufficient and self refueling, and can hold a crew of five inside, plus two outside seats over the cab.
I just spent the last few days driving it all over the planet, and if I had known about this challenge, I would have entered then.

No big deal, this fits nicely into my fan-fiction mission report later on, I have no problem doing it again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.