Moon landing 2013 (Chang'e 3)

czokletmuss

any speculation on why Chinese (government) went for early landing? I am SERIOULY impressed how quickly the probe/rover got down.

Possibly the original time is set to going for another orbit for some extra pre-burn testing, but they finished the testes ahead of time.

Every scienstist would be worried that their very first rover would work properly after landing, much like every person at NASA JPL was biting their nails like crazy duting Curiosity's descent, and Spirit and Opportunitys respective landings some 9 years ago.

/giggle

Chinese announcer said "Wover"

I remember a JAXA scientist telling a roomful of us from various agencies about how the "lover" would move over the surface of the asteloid. "Wover" is much less giggle-worthy. But compare their difficulty in enunciating a particular phoneme in English to my utter lack of ability to say even a single word in any dialect of Chinese or Japanese.

As for the landing, awesome!

As Communist China knew all along, the moon is actually red.

Presumably due to a mistake with the camera's white balance, or, if we're really lucky, a patch of orange soil like was found during Apollo.

Either way, bring on the "wow nasa hiding moon's real color china giving us the truth, moon is orange wake up sheeple" nutjobs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.