Mobile Rocket Launcher / Missile Vehicle

PTNLemay

This isn't going to be a thread about me pointing at my sweet build, so much as me looking for advice on how to make my currently crappy build (that I'm convinced has great potential) into something good. I'm trying to build an impressive looking device, like these:

QnSgs6p.jpg

APKls6g.png

Unfortunately it ended up looking more like this.

KBoiuyn.png

The rockets themselves are pretty decent for their size, but certainly not intercontinental. I got one to hit 20 kilometers away from the launcher. I'm guessing I'll need a mod to add the pivot that allows the rocket to lay down and back up, but it's more than just that... Getting the flat square panels to connect to the body of the rover is a real challenge. I don't have a specific question here, I'm just open for any helpful suggestions people might have.

I was thinking of throwing out a kind of Reddit challenge, to build a rover that can move under it's own power and launch a rocket a certain distance away from said launcher (Normal Mode: launch rocket 50 km away. Hard Mode: hit another continent). See what ideas people could come up with that would improve upon my very initial, very crude design. Unfortunately as I have it now I doubt it would attract much attention, I need it to look more impressive.

Edited by PTNLemay

Build it like you would send it to space, without rcs. Add fins. Maybe even add several stages aswell.

Aunt edit: I did build a somesort of Stalin Orgel/katushya in .19. No pics, though.

Look for damned robotics mod for hinges, I think it was.

Edited by Dedjal

I did build one who I shoot against the other spaceport. It uses an 2.5 meter rocket with an fairng to hold the cluster bombs (seperatrons and Oscar tanks)

Now with damned robotics you could probably make something where you can lift the rocket like on the top picture, now make something to launch an kerbal into orbit and you have an nice getaway car.

@ Scruffy

I tried to do that, but the decouplers wouldn't connect to the metal plates I had on the rover's back if they were angled. I'm not sure what to use to force that inclination on it.

@ Globox

Oh that's nice! Yeah, that's more what I was picturing mine should look like. Nice touch with those stabilizing legs.

I created these a few months ago. The TEL was quite hard to build, and I ended up creating the missile and the silo in the VAB, then using subassembly to put it on the back of a truck in the SPH. The two are connected by a docking port that decouples at the same time as the sepatrons fire. I have updated these vehicles since, and improved the ICBM's range so that it can easily reach orbit. The craft are currently undergoing final testing and I hope to release them next week.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Narcosis

@ Scruffy

I tried to do that, but the decouplers wouldn't connect to the metal plates I had on the rover's back if they were angled. I'm not sure what to use to force that inclination on it.

Trick is to rotate to the nearest major axis, then they'll usually connect... or alternatively (and something I often do) is connect a Radial Attachment Point to the top / side of whatever I'm working on then build off of that, when it's done just grab it complete and attach it where you originally wanted it.

Can do the same with the Struts as well but the Radial tends to be better for keeping something central for symmetry to work ^_^

ok, it's not a military rocket, but i guess it still stays in the category of mobile rocket launcher :P (it's just a mün rocket on a TEL, the TEL is able to ferry the rocket where you want, before tilting the rocket vertically :P

made it for the new TEL challenge ^^ (yes, it's all stock :P)

the tilting system works by rotating the rocket around it's center of mass - basically, the TEL carry a support structure which 'holds' the rocket at it's COM. once in position , i lower the support structure's landing legs, decouple the rocket from the TEL so it rests on the support structure, then use the vehicle to 'grab' an I-beam near the base of the rocket, and slowly pull the rocket in order to tilt the rocket vertically. once vertical, the support structure will fold it's legs, allowing the rocket to rest vertically on the ground.

here's the mün mission album :

Javascript is disabled. View full album

ok, it's not a military rocket, but i guess it still stays in the category of mobile rocket launcher :P (it's just a mün rocket on a TEL, the TEL is able to ferry the rocket where you want, before tilting the rocket vertically :P

made it for the new TEL challenge ^^ (yes, it's all stock :P)

the tilting system works by rotating the rocket around it's center of mass - basically, the TEL carry a support structure which 'holds' the rocket at it's COM. once in position , i lower the support structure's landing legs, decouple the rocket from the TEL so it rests on the support structure, then use the vehicle to 'grab' an I-beam near the base of the rocket, and slowly pull the rocket in order to tilt the rocket vertically. once vertical, the support structure will fold it's legs, allowing the rocket to rest vertically on the ground.

here's the mün mission album :

snip...

Is there anyway to get your mün rocket up for download? i would like to try it out, it looks really cool!!

Trick is to rotate to the nearest major axis, then they'll usually connect... or alternatively (and something I often do) is connect a Radial Attachment Point to the top / side of whatever I'm working on then build off of that, when it's done just grab it complete and attach it where you originally wanted it.

Can do the same with the Struts as well but the Radial tends to be better for keeping something central for symmetry to work ^_^

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.