Concerns on the Uranus analog

EleSigma

Maybe the name could be Urectum.
I'm surprise at the lack of uranus jokes....

Classic. Just classic.

I love the idea of a planet on its side (which is I assume the major reason for calling this new though possibly not enacted planet a Uranus-like planet) so you can't just enter orbit the way we do for all the other planets. You'll have to go into what would be a polar orbit and even that's not enough, you'll have to correct for the ever-changing orientation of the plane of its satellites' orbits compared to its position in its own orbit.

Screw the surface. I don't care. I want to explore this new system!

There could be some science aspect of it that has yet to be released. And why worry about returning? It may be really cool to send a rover there, it will be huge, thus possibly lots of easter eggs. Its size could afford lots of moons for one stop shopping. This could be awesom, I say bring it on!

The Uranus analog according to Mu won't be a gas giant though, it will have a mountainous surface under the thick atmosphere (and clouds). My argument against this is above. It will be the size of a gas giant though, and have the atmosphere and gravity of one.

That "implies it'll have a large moon or two that we can visit." and that "It won't be a totally pointless addition."

I dont get why so many people wants to have "realistical" look alike of solar system. I would be realy happy if we had some cool stuff in Kerbol system like Dunasized planet on Suns polar orbit (that would be chalenge to get to) 3 body system with planet tha has moon which has a moon. Planet on retrograde orbit and yes I am alll for Uranus analog with rocky surface. Who cares if it is unleaveble you will send down probes rovers and land....errr.... permanents bases.

• 5 months later...

Actually, if you have KSP Interstellar installed, low surface gravity + 30 atm = heaven for spaceplanes = easy takeoff. All you need to do is use thermal turbojet to carry you to edge of space and use beamed power plasma thrusters relayed from orbiting power station for orbit insertion.

The interesting thing with gas giants are not so much the planets themselves but all the moons that orbit them. A gas giant is nearly like a mini solar system in itself with all the moons and squad could create some interesting and varied ones to make it more fun to explore.