[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

PNG's have no mipmaps which makes them look like an aliased mess most of the time.

Plus PolecatEZ ever so kindly made a texture redux pack.

Yes, I do use the reduction pack by PolecatEZ. Sadly, it doesn't reduce the size of the .mbm's. They're all still 1024*1024 files, which means that they still take up 4096 kilobytes each. That's still a whole lot.

Anyway, I guess I can't really allow myself to make such a fuss. You and Winston have made a really great piece of work and are giving it to us for free.

I just downloaded KW rocketry. I can't load ships in my main career save. I click the button and it doesn't do anything. Checked sandbox, and it works fine. Made a new career, and it works fine. Someone help me before I go on a murdering spree?

I just downloaded KW rocketry. I can't load ships in my main career save. I click the button and it doesn't do anything. Checked sandbox, and it works fine. Made a new career, and it works fine. Someone help me before I go on a murdering spree?

I don't think putting pre-built rockets into a career save will work, It didn't work for me.

Yes, I do use the reduction pack by PolecatEZ. Sadly, it doesn't reduce the size of the .mbm's. They're all still 1024*1024 files, which means that they still take up 4096 kilobytes each. That's still a whole lot.

There aren't that many .mbm files still in the distribution, and even if you do convert them and reduce them, it doesn't save much. I just finished an attempt to do better than PolecatEZ's pack and failed. I converted everything to .tga (both .png and .mbm textures) to avoid the .png loading bug, which supposedly will be fixed when Squad moves to Unity 4.2.2. I reduced everything and ended up with only a 4MB improvement over PolecatEZ's work. If you're still running into issues after finding and installing all the texture reductions you can, I suggest selectively pruning your mods. Go through each Parts folder for each mod and delete any parts you never use. It'll clean up your parts list in the VAB/SPH and save you a ton of RAM.

No, I mean all of my ships that I built. I can't even bring up the list. The button does nothing.

That would make your question one for general KSP support, not KW, since KW does not change the fundamental operation of the game interface.

That would make your question one for general KSP support, not KW, since KW does not change the fundamental operation of the game interface.

Oh ok. I just assumed since everything was fine before the download it had something to do with KW

I'm getting shrouds on the engines when I select them, and they don't come off.

http://puu.sh/50d7B/9c7ea098b9.jpg

I'm using the fixed NoAutoShroud .cfgs availble on the first post with KW 2.5.4

Curious, I'll have a look.

Oh balls, I know what I did, I left the model call up in the cfg, I'll go fix that.

Fixed it all up nicely OP link changed to the fixed version, also here:

http://www./download/bkevq1o8wo8oenm/v2.5.4_R2_No_AutoShroud_Configs.zip

Edited by Kickasskyle

pngs are still a little worse than mbms, but no where near as badly as .tga.

When I tested PNG and TGA in .22 for B9 they were identical to the megabyte as far as memory usage, so I wonder what's going on here. Different people are getting different results, I wonder if something in the host OS comes into it.

Ships will only load in the VAB in Career Mode if you have unlocked all the parts that the given craft uses. Until then, they won't load.

I have some tech tree questions.

the 2Mtank1 is listed under Specialized Control. Shouldn't it be under heavierRocketry?

some of the 2m engines and fuel tanks are under the VeryHeavyRocketry along with the 3.75M parts. Shouldnt the 2.5m parts be under heavier rocketry instead?

I think something funny is happening with the new side 2m conic tanks.

Engines placed on them (or atleast Skipper, which I've tested with) lose heat emissives - when they start heating or firing they turn grey instead of black or orange.

Forgot to take a screenshot, but I am pretty sure it will be easy to reproduce it.

EDIT: A screenshot, for science!

2dgh9Uw.png

Edited by smunisto

There aren't that many .mbm files still in the distribution, and even if you do convert them and reduce them, it doesn't save much. I just finished an attempt to do better than PolecatEZ's pack and failed. I converted everything to .tga (both .png and .mbm textures) to avoid the .png loading bug, which supposedly will be fixed when Squad moves to Unity 4.2.2. I reduced everything and ended up with only a 4MB improvement over PolecatEZ's work. If you're still running into issues after finding and installing all the texture reductions you can, I suggest selectively pruning your mods. Go through each Parts folder for each mod and delete any parts you never use. It'll clean up your parts list in the VAB/SPH and save you a ton of RAM.

In that case, the math makes no sense. For every .mbm that would be converted to tga or png, I would be able to reduce it to one quarter of its previous size. Since almost every part has an .mbm file that takes up ~4096 kb, that means that more than 30 mb would be saved, remembering from the top of my head.

In that case, the math makes no sense. For every .mbm that would be converted to tga or png, I would be able to reduce it to one quarter of its previous size. Since almost every part has an .mbm file that takes up ~4096 kb, that means that more than 30 mb would be saved, remembering from the top of my head.

Sure, you can save disk space with a more friendly file format, but when the texture gets loaded into RAM it takes up almost exactly the same amount of space.

I have some tech tree questions.

the 2Mtank1 is listed under Specialized Control. Shouldn't it be under heavierRocketry?

some of the 2m engines and fuel tanks are under the VeryHeavyRocketry along with the 3.75M parts. Shouldnt the 2.5m parts be under heavier rocketry instead?

I dont think the parts were sorted by size, but rather how high-tech they are. A 2.5m engine that produces 1200Kn of thrust is much easyer to engineer and build than a 2.5m engine with 1800Kn thrust and that gimbals. Even a basic 3.75m nozzle would be easyer to engineer than a intricate 2.5m nozzle with redundencies and sub systems....

on your newest update, my computer says that the file in \KW Release Package v2.5.4\GameData\KWRocketry\Parts\Fuel\KW2mtankL4\KWmtankl4.mbm is corrupted and i cant use your amazing mod. please can you help me out and try to fix it?

I think something funny is happening with the new side 2m conic tanks.

Engines placed on them (or atleast Skipper, which I've tested with) lose heat emissives - when they start heating or firing they turn grey instead of black or orange.

Forgot to take a screenshot, but I am pretty sure it will be easy to reproduce it.

EDIT: A screenshot, for science!

-image-

So i did some experimenting.

This is a stock KSP problem, let me explain.

The short story is, the further the attached engine is from the fuel tank's center the more heat it builds up (or the less it dissipates depending on your perspective).

Now on any long tank you can actually make the skipper overheat slightly and it seems as though the stock emissive was made under the assumption that this would never happen. As a result the rest of the emissive animation just seems to have not been touched hence why it fades to grey.

527S5.jpg

On a higher note, ferram made a nice mod that does things:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55657-0-22-Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-v1-0-Properly-Rigid-Part-Connections

Hey Kyle, I've been using your mod since 0.19, and have just converted back from NP. However, fairings on rockets don't decouple anymore. They have a "ModuleAnchoredDecoupler", which I have never seen before, and their decoupler force is set to a negative number; i.e -100, -200, -300. Maybe you could explain to me what this means or if it's a bug of some sort.

I'm having the same trouble with Fairings...

also anyone have a set of premade KW lifter subassemblies? would be super handy

Have not had any issues with fairings, though honestly I dont use them very often.

I have no subs saved...working on a reinstall atm....what weight payload range ya looking at?

Also, not sure if its just me, but KW parts seem to be perfect for giant Delta style lifters. Anything over 100tons usually needs a piggy-back staged rocket. May not be till tomorow, but I will throw some subs together for lifting =)