[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

This mod does not work with the stagerecovery aspect of Kerbal Construction Time. I told the Author and he said this:

"It sounds like a configuration issue in KW Rocketry. Try recovering a part that isn't a fuel tank or an engine. They're likely still using the old propulsion category for fuel tanks and engines, which hasn't existed since 0.25. If you look in the save file you'll likely see them listed in the storage. They just don't show up in the GUI because it doesn't have the deprecated Propulsion category."

It sounds like they are actually recovered, they just don't show up in the part inventory list. So it does work OK, it's basically a visual bug.

Looks like the categories need to be updated for each of the parts. Something for the unofficial patch? Might take a look at doing this myself a little later, if I find the time.

Edit--

Actually, it looks like it might be as simple as this:

@PART[KW*engine*]:NEEDS[KWRocketry]:FINAL
{
@category = Engine
}

@PART[KW*tank*]:NEEDS[KWRocketry]:FINAL
{
@category = FuelTank
}

I used ":FINAL" to make sure it gets applied after the unofficial patch. There may be a more appropriate option, though. I'm happy to be enlightened...

Haven't got time to test it right now, though. I'll give it a try later. If someone else wants to try it out, feel free.

Edit--

From a very quick test, it appears to work OK. Not tested with every tank and engine, though.

Edited by UnanimousCoward

Sorry I didn't get an answer last time, is nobody else having a problem with nothing visibly coming out of half of the solid boosters?

Do you have the thrust limited to 0? If so that seems to be a stock bug -- the effects system doesn't recognize engines that have a minimum thrust value set and won't generate effects if the thrust is set to 0.

It sounds like they are actually recovered, they just don't show up in the part inventory list. So it does work OK, it's basically a visual bug.

Looks like the categories need to be updated for each of the parts. Something for the unofficial patch? Might take a look at doing this myself a little later, if I find the time.

Edit--

Actually, it looks like it might be as simple as this:

@PART[KW*engine*]:NEEDS[KWRocketry]:FINAL
{
@category = Engine
}

@PART[KW*tank*]:NEEDS[KWRocketry]:FINAL
{
@category = FuelTank
}

I used ":FINAL" to make sure it gets applied after the unofficial patch. There may be a more appropriate option, though. I'm happy to be enlightened...

Haven't got time to test it right now, though. I'll give it a try later. If someone else wants to try it out, feel free.

Edit--

From a very quick test, it appears to work OK. Not tested with every tank and engine, though.

If needed, I can create a new version of the Unofficial Patch tomorrow, including this change.

If needed, I can create a new version of the Unofficial Patch tomorrow, including this change.

It’s only really necessary for people playing with KCT, as the game happily sorts parts properly in the VAB without this. However, quite a few of us do use KCT, and it won’t do any harm to include this in the patch...

I'm having issues with the petal adapter. The second decouple node is working fine, but the first won't decouple the CM. I have it attached to the base node of the Vesta SPS engine.

Same. The petal opens and the decouple activates, but the service module is still considered attached to the adapter.

Also, I started getting pretty consistent and severe crashes (BSoD, lockups, etc) while using the petal. I had been using KW 2.7 with KSP 1.0.2 for a while with no issues and today was my first time ever attempting to use it. Almost every time I would revert to the VAB the part menu was messed up and the game would eventually crash.

EDIT: May have been fixed with ATM (the crashes, not the petal), which I normally used but decided to defer after 1.0 until necessary.

Do you have the thrust limited to 0? If so that seems to be a stock bug -- the effects system doesn't recognize engines that have a minimum thrust value set and won't generate effects if the thrust is set to 0.

Is there any way around this? Before 1.0 I would often use 0% thrust to maximize the burn time and ensure a smooth acceleration. Now doing the same thing the rocket just goes up without any effects, and the boosters themselves seem far more powerful (though that could just be the aerodynamics throwing things into perspective).

Also, unrelated to the above, is there some trick to attaching the 5m-3.75m interstage adapter, the one that on a Saturn V would be between S-II and S-IVB, shrouding the S-IVB engine? I'm using a Wildcat-XR engine on the upper stage, but it doesn't want to attach around any engine. The only way I can attach it is beneath the engine or in place of the engine, both of which are impractical. The alternative I'm forced to use is a normal 3.75m stack decoupler and then an LFTA 5-3 fuel tank, which makes the vehicle taller and heavier than it should be.

Sorry, one more thing (for now), is it not possible to simply clone the launch clamp, edit the sound and include it as a part in KW with its own text so that I can at least tell which one is which without messing with core game data? Is it a limitation if that type of part?

Edited by Bobe

It’s only really necessary for people playing with KCT, as the game happily sorts parts properly in the VAB without this. However, quite a few of us do use KCT, and it won’t do any harm to include this in the patch...

@PART[KW*engine*]:AFTER[KWRocketry]:NEEDS[KerbalConstructionTime|StageRecovery]
{
@category = Engine
}

@PART[KW*tank*]:AFTER[KWRocketry]:NEEDS[KerbalConstructionTime|StageRecovery]
{
@category = FuelTank
}

This might be better then - the patch is run only if KCT or Stage Recovery is installed (though honestly, it doesn't really matter to the end user if it is or not, because as noted, the parts get sorted fine anyway) and after KWRocketry - Final is not recommended as it can conflict with other patches applying a different change to the same bit that are also running on Final.

NEEDS[KWRocketry] is kind of redundant as it's applying the change to KWR parts which obviously only exist if KWR is installed.. You'll want to use NEEDS when you want to change a part if ANOTHER mod is installed. You don't distribute a patch for your mod that changes your parts only if your mod is installed, it makes no sense.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

I think just “:NEEDS[KerbalConstructionTime]†is enough, as the issue relates purely to KCT’s part inventory display, rather than anything to do with StageRecovery. Of course, I could be wrong...

I used “:FINAL†in my patch to make sure it got applied after the unofficial KW patch - although having looked more closely at the KW patch, now I can see that “:AFTER[KWRocketry]†would have been fine.

I have to admit that I get a bit lost in all the “:NEEDSâ€Â, “:FOR†and “:AFTER†options - your explanation of “:NEEDS†is helpful, thanks. Any chance you could explain (briefly and for the hard of thinking such as me) what the difference between “:FOR†and “:AFTER†is?

Any chance you could explain (briefly and for the hard of thinking such as me) what the difference between “:FOR†and “:AFTER†is?

At the risk of going off topic, FOR is for a mod author to distribute their own patches for their own parts. :FOR[ModName] = I am ModName and these are my patches while :AFTER[ModName] = execute this patch AFTER ModName executes its patches. More documentation is in the ModuleManager thread - some is confusing, but all is straightforward.

You could be right about it only concerning KCT - I only mentioned StageRecovery as the problem occurred upon recovery. Who knows.. and as I said, that bit isn't entirely needed anyway - it loads fine for users without KCT and they could all benefit from proper sorting.

Yuuuppp that'd explain it, well that would explain why I felt like I was going crazy having this very obvious problem that absolutely nobody else seemed to have noticed. Haha thanks, I guess I'll just crank down the minimum thrust a lot more for now.

Getting a bit of an issue as KSP loads KW.

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/KW12mExpandedFairingCone/part1m/KW12mExpandedFairingCone'

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

FormatException: Unknown char
at System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Double.Parse (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)

at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PartLoader.GetDatabaseConfig (.Part p, System.String nodeName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at DragCubeSystem.LoadDragCubes (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part+.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Is there any way around this? Before 1.0 I would often use 0% thrust to maximize the burn time and ensure a smooth acceleration

Unfortunately no, the best you can do is to limit the thrust to the next smallest value (5.5). I'll poke at it and see if I can figure out a workaround that's something better than adjusting the minimum thrust so the 5.5 mark equals the current thrust at 0.

- - - Updated - - -

Getting a bit of an issue as KSP loads KW.

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'KWRocketry/Parts/Fairings/KW12mExpandedFairingCone/part1m/KW12mExpandedFairingCone'

Old version of Deadly Reentry. Replace `GameData/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry-KWRocketryFairings.cfg` with the contents on this page. https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/blob/master/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry-KWRocketryFairings.cfg

KSP gets stuck while loading KW rocketry any help would be great thank you

No one will be able to help you unless you show us your output_log.txt. Please see the stickied how to get help thread in the modded install support forum if you don't know how to do this.

Unfortunately no, the best you can do is to limit the thrust to the next smallest value (5.5). I'll poke at it and see if I can figure out a workaround that's something better than adjusting the minimum thrust so the 5.5 mark equals the current thrust at 0.

- - - Updated - - -

Old version of Deadly Reentry. Replace `GameData/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry-KWRocketryFairings.cfg` with the contents on this page. https://github.com/Starwaster/DeadlyReentry/blob/master/DeadlyReentry/DeadlyReentry-KWRocketryFairings.cfg

Thank you, I'll try that.

Hey quick update/pointer:

The problem with the petal adapter that i think most people are encountering is that node_stack_top and node_stack_topFDOWN are in the exact same location, so they probably are disabling the strict direction in the cheat menu, attaching it, and then the decoupler uses node_Stack_top not node_stack_topFDOWN. If you alter the config for the petal adapter to read

node_stack_top = 0.0, 2.10, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

node_stack_topFDown = 0.0, 2.00, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2

Which moves FDown slightly inside the adapter, I at least have had no problems so far with decoupling attached service modules on top.

I'm not even sure what FDown's intention IS to be honest, so i imagine you could probably just remove it, but to each their own here.

While determining the cause with 100% certainty will require more information, my kerbal-sense tells me you're likely running over KSP's memory limit.

KW broke my game. I placed one of the fuel tanks and then KSP locked up. Any help?

Need a lot more information than this, since you are new to the forums I highly suggest you check out this thread for information on asking for help.

First off we need a log, which that thread will tell you how to get (KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt if windows)

I am going to assume you are very new and this could be just an out of memory crash, do you have ATM installed? If not then I would suggest installing it.

By Any chance are you using DRE? If so, there is a fix for KW in the DRE thread. I believe some stats are missing on some of the KW part configs.

Edit* Quoted wrong post

Edited by Bruunz

The problem with the petal adapter that i think most people are encountering is that node_stack_top and node_stack_topFDOWN are in the exact same location, so they probably are disabling the strict direction in the cheat menu, attaching it, and then the decoupler uses node_Stack_top not node_stack_topFDOWN. If you alter the config for the petal adapter to read

Which moves FDown slightly inside the adapter, I at least have had no problems so far with decoupling attached service modules on top.

I'm not even sure what FDown's intention IS to be honest, so i imagine you could probably just remove it, but to each their own here.

I gave this a shot. node_stack_top seems to be the node that actually decouples the CM. node_stack_topFDown creates a second node that is used for securing the CM engine. If you delete node_stack_topFDown, then once you attach the petal fairing to the fuel tank there's no way to attach the engine (and you can't attach the petal adapter if the engine is already in place). If you lower Fdown a little bit, then you have a gap between the CM engine and the fuel tank.

Perhaps my lander is to tall but even with this change my service module still wants to attach to my landers docking port not the top of the adapter.

Edit : Well I did get it to work ,sort of. It no longer attaches to my docking port but the "engine shroud" is still there hanging in space. What am I doing wrong please :)

edit 2 : use the right engine? I was using a poodle for my csm the kw engines seem to give another attach point

Edited by Demigod